When/where/how did you meet a packer?

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I went to the same high school as Don Beebe, 12 or so years after him but it was a small school. I had my letter jacket on during the super bowl parade and he recognized it...which was awesome. Sometime later when he had his tv show i went to it without a ticket as i didn't even know he had a show until that day. The person running the show told him i was from the same high school and he came out and talked for a few minutes and gave me and my fam tickets to the show.

If any of you want your kid to win a state championship in football send them to Aurora Christian where Beebe is head coach. There is no competition these days for his team....they are that good.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Never met one, but there's an NFL films office here in Mt. Laurel across from my highschool and I drove past Tauscher leaving there once. Hoping I'll see Moses around since I often wind up near that area because of friends. I have cousins down by Raji and Daniels as well, so you never know. Went to one of Raji's HS games.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never met one, but there's an NFL films office here in Mt. Laurel across from my highschool and I drove past Tauscher leaving there once. Hoping I'll see Moses around since I often wind up near that area because of friends. I have cousins down by Raji and Daniels as well, so you never know. Went to one of Raji's HS games.

I noticed that awhile back that you listed mt laurel as your hometown. I got excited in hopes you had some connection to nfl films.

Do you know if they offer tours?

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I noticed that awhile back that you listed mt laurel as your hometown. I got excited in hopes you had some connection to nfl films.

Do you know if they offer tours?
Not a clue, never had the guts to go over there, even though I live literally five mins down the road. Only learned like 5 or 6 years ago that that's what that place was.

M

mayo44

I used to do security at the Regency Suites (where the KI center is). Packers were having their team awards banquet there. I went to the restroom to wash my hands and right at the next sink was Donald Driver. I didn't say anything but when I looked up at the mirror he looked at me in the mirror and smiled. He said something like, "It's a nice night for January, isn't it?"

I said, "That it is." Then I couldn't resist asking a big question. This was 2004, shortly after he signed his big contract. So I asked him, "Well, what do you think? Is Brett coming back next year?"

DD laughed and said, "Well, I couldn't say for sure, but he did tell me before the season that if I signed on for a new deal he'd play at least another 3 years." I think he wished me a nice evening and that was pretty much that.

On September 12, 2000, at about 8:00 in the morning, I was was getting some donuts at "Donut Connection" which used to be a couple blocks south of Lambeau on Oneida St. As soon as I got out of my truck and started walking toward the store, I saw an older guy walking straight toward me with a box of donuts. On a second look, I recognized who it was. I was debating in my mind whether to say anything when to my surprise he said to me, "Good morning, young man."

So I said, "Good morning, Mr. Starr!"

He asked me, "So are you going to be voting on the stadium tonight?"

I said, "Yes sir, and I intend to vote "Yes."

He said, "That's good to hear."

I asked him if he thought it was going to pass or not and he gave a big grin and said (and this is absolutely verbatim), "Well, if the Lord's willing it will, and we all know He's a Packer fan, now don't we?"

I laughed and said, "That we do." At that point he got into his Cadillac and wished me a nice day. Bart is a very charming man and I feel blessed to have had the chance to meet him, even if it was only for a few seconds. I do miss living in Green Bay.

Aside from that, Gilbert Brown was always pretty visible. I pulled up next to him at a red light once during the summer. He was driving a very nice GTO. We both had our windows down. He looked over and I yelled out the window, "Punch it!" and he just smiled real big and said, "Naw... man, can't do it."

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I met Sterling Sharpe in the hotel bar across from Met Life Stadium at the start of the 2012 season. I told him that I thought he was a great wide receiver. He asked me how many times I saw him play at Lambeau (he was surrounded by friends, so showing the ego) and I said none, because we couldn't afford tickets back when he played. We chit chatted for a bit and that was it. I went to my room with a beer.

The next night the bartender told me that had I stuck around the bar longer, I could have met Deion Sanders too. I don't know how much I would have treasured that but he was a darn good cornerback.

AtlantaCheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I went into Marie Callendars in Lake Forest, California to get a pie, wearing my Packers jersey, and the older man selling me the pie asked me if I was a packers fan, and I said yes, and he said "Have you ever seen one of these?" and held out his Super Bowl #1 ring!!! I about died! I said "Please wait right here, I have to get my husband!" and I ran out to the car and dragged him confused into the store to show him. Jim Weatherwax showed him his ring, and said "I've got #2 at home, I alternate wearing them." He was so nice. About 10 years later we were at a game at Lambeau and I saw someone wearing a Weatherwax jersey! I had never seen one, so I ran up to the young man and said "Hey, I met Jim Weatherwax!" and he said "That's my dad!" It was his first game at Lambeau, and I told him how honored I had been to meet his dad, and he had tears in his eyes when I told him the story. It was pretty cool.
My state farm agent here in Atlanta is Dennis Havig, played only one year for the Packers. Great guy!

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I met Sterling Sharpe in the hotel bar across from Met Life Stadium at the start of the 2012 season. I told him that I thought he was a great wide receiver. He asked me how many times I saw him play at Lambeau (he was surrounded by friends, so showing the ego) and I said none, because we couldn't afford tickets back when he played. We chit chatted for a bit and that was it. I went to my room with a beer.

The next night the bartender told me that had I stuck around the bar longer, I could have met Deion Sanders too. I don't know how much I would have treasured that but he was a darn good cornerback.

I've never met prime (Deion) but if I ever do I want to ask him if he has any favre rookie stories.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that upon telling one of my brothers about meeting Sterling, he said I should have asked him why he held out prior to the season opener at Minnesota!

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I live in Aaron Rodgers' hometown (Packers fan since 1994-ish) and I SWEAR I am the only one to have not met him. However, I DID meet Lester Hayes at our local Wal-Mart. 2 time Super Bowl champ!

D

Dan115

Met Irve Farve (Brett's Dad) at the Milwaukee Airport in 1999. It was an early flight only he and I there for about 10 minutes one on one. He started the conversation. I was wearing my Packer jacket. He walked right up to me and asked if I was a Packer Fan. He wanted to talk Packer Football.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
was 1993, my senior year of high school at Oshkosh west high. We had 5 packers come down to the school and play a game of basketball vs our varsity bball team. It was fun to watch our senior team beat them......of course they were not that good at basketball, but everyone at the school got to meet and greet with them. From what I remember it was: Ed West, robert brooks, mark chmura,bryce paup, wayne simmons......very cool indeed, nice bunch of guys.

Gopackgo520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been very fortunate to meet a couple of Packers.....

William Henderson, was standing outside of the Milwaukee airport when I flew for the Packers vs Raiders game last year. Super nice guy, I'm not one to ask a bunch of questions to celebrities and what not.

I live and grew up in Atlanta (My Dad grew up in Wakeshau) and go to a Packer bar outside the city called TJ's. Best one in Atlanta as it gets about 100+ Wisconsinites a weekend, almost double or triple for really big games and there I have had the opportunity to meet and sit and watch a game with....

Don Majkowski
Perry Kemp
Brent Fullwood

Also at the Pep Rally in Atlanta for last years game I met...

Mark Murphy
Antonio Freeman
Wayne Larrivee

All three are extremely nice guys!!!

gbpowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gilbert Brown in an Appleby's in Eau Claire,WI. He was in town for an event with a couple of other young DL and they came in for an early supper. We were sitting at the bar and my brother-in-law sent over a round of drinks to their table. Shortly afterwards, Gilbert came over to thank us and engulfed my BIL in a huge bear hug. Chatted for a bit and got autographs. Gilbert was always one of my fan favorites and he cemented that position with his down to earth attitude and friendliness.

The Drew

The Drew Cave
Reaction score
*YOU GUYS KNOW I AM THE KING OF PICTURES*

While stationed in Mississippi in 2004, my wife and I use to go to Favre's on the Bayou, which was a sports bar in Kiln MS. There we met some of Favre's extended family to include his mother Bonita. She was a very nice woman

In 2007 while attending the Seahawks Playoff game we met James Jones in the Pro Shop the Saturday before the game. Real nice dude and even took a pic with my wife.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Also during that day we met Antoinio Freeman and Frank Winters at a meet and greet

In 2008 while flying up to Fan Fest, we met Al Harris and James Jones at the airport in Minneapolis as they were flying up to Green Bay.
During the Fan Fest we were able to meet alot of Packers present and past players to include:
Aaron Rodgers
Donald Driver
Ryan Grant
Nick Collins
Jon Ryan
Scott Wells
Coach McCarthy
Brady Poppinga

After attending the 2009 game against the Cowboys we flew back to Texas on the same plane as Donald Driver. He was so nice and snapped a few pics with us

Then after attending the Saints/Packers season opener in 2011 we attended a meet and greet and met:
Jermichael Finley
Mason Crosby
Randall Cobb
Chad Clifton
James Starks
Bryan Bulaga

This past year before the Titans game I was able to meet Fuzzy Thurston at Stadium View

THAT IS ALL.... :)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Had dinner with Gilbert at a private party hosted by people involved with Brett

Other parties hosted by same people - Ryan Grant- Freeman-Santana Dotson- Frank Winters

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
*YOU GUYS KNOW I AM THE KING OF PICTURES*

While stationed in Mississippi in 2004, my wife and I use to go to Favre's on the Bayou, which was a sports bar in Kiln MS. There we met some of Favre's extended family to include his mother Bonita. She was a very nice woman

In 2007 while attending the Seahawks Playoff game we met James Jones in the Pro Shop the Saturday before the game. Real nice dude and even took a pic with my wife.

Also during that day we met Antoinio Freeman and Frank Winters at a meet and greet

In 2008 while flying up to Fan Fest, we met Al Harris and James Jones at the airport in Minneapolis as they were flying up to Green Bay.
During the Fan Fest we were able to meet alot of Packers present and past players to include:
Aaron Rodgers
Donald Driver
Ryan Grant
Nick Collins
Jon Ryan
Scott Wells
Coach McCarthy
Brady Poppinga

After attending the 2009 game against the Cowboys we flew back to Texas on the same plane as Donald Driver. He was so nice and snapped a few pics with us

Then after attending the Saints/Packers season opener in 2011 we attended a meet and greet and met:
Jermichael Finley
Mason Crosby
Randall Cobb
Chad Clifton
James Starks
Bryan Bulaga

This past year before the Titans game I was able to meet Fuzzy Thurston at Stadium View

THAT IS ALL.... :)

Hey, I took a couple of these photo's. In fact that's me wearing number 90 in the background of the one with Finley. Hey Drew, were you at Keesler? if so we have covered alot of the same dirt.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
See Drew's Pics above for the same list I met after the opener. We were going to go up to Door county for the day and someone said they are signing autographs at Stadium view. There was a question and answer session later in the day moderated by Leroy Butler that had Clay Matthews in with the group above. Won a Matthews autographed football.

The real bummer of this story is I got the whole Q&A on a flip video camera. When we were leaving Green Bay I was recording some of the monuments and the stadium. Set it down in the drink holder of the rental car. Didn't see it later and just assumed my wife had put it in her purse. Wasn't until after we flew out that we discovered she had moved it to the side compartment on the door then forgot about it. Took me a very very long time to get over that.

On a side note my wife taught Nick Barnett in Middle School.

Members online

Latest posts