When someone targets your QB, you defend your QB. Plain and simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
And if someone had done it to Rodgers, you Packer fans would be calling for a suspension.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And if someone had done it to Rodgers, you Packer fans would be calling for a suspension.
Not I. But I tend to be atypical in my opinions. I don't defend my players acting like dumba**es regardless of their motivations either.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at the late hit Julius Peppers put on Rodgers a few years ago.
Or Urlacher.
Both were worse, and only one was flagged. We didn't call for suspensions.

Look, Matthews crossed the line barely, and I'm totally fine with it.
Remember, this defense has that SOFT label. Couldn't come close to stopping the run last time.

This is a little different than the one Johnny Jolly did in 2009 against the Vikings in the 2nd matchup vs Favre that year, in Green Bay. Not a lot different, but a little different. I hated that one.

This one wasn't the real reason we allowed 7 that drive instead of 3.
That was on McCarthy for not declining the penalty on the previous play.
And then of course the stupid refs compounded it all with their not-surprising incompetence.

I said it on the shoutbox at the time: it was worth a possible 4 points long term.
He didn't hit anyone in the ACL. It wasn't a hit that would injure anyone.

I love Clay more than ever.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I'll admit I agree with you, and am biased, and then after the game if it was bad enough to cause injury I'd be for the suspension, if not then I'd be upset and wanting a fine, and then move on. I'd think Suh would be suspended before Matthews though right now.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
1) The ejection would be from hitting Staley in the facemask.

It wasnt a hit? Looked more like a push and grabbing the mask..But it was hands to the face and Clay shouldnt have done it..

However, Boldin did HIT Shields, so he should have been ejected using your reasoning about Clay

12theTruth

OK. I watched a replay of this Matthews penalty (hit out of bounds again). While clearly a late hit out of bounds. If you watch closely Kaepernicks's foot touching down out of bounds and Clay leaving his feet happened within maybe a half a second if that of each other.

The reason Matthews hit Kapernick 5 yards out of bounds is because of the distance he was from Kaepernick when he left his feet leaving the impression of a worse infraction than it actually was by watching it live with the naked eye.

Still a lack of judgement but FAR FROM BEING A DIRTY PLAYER.

Harbaugh is just being a ****** now in the media because he can and is good at it. I nothing more than hope the 9ers get **** pounded this next week against the Seahawks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
If you watch the play closely, Matthews was running full speed for a good 3 seconds at Colin... Yes, stupid play, but I think he was just so focused on getting him, he just zoned out... When I played football, this happened to me a few times.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was a dumb hit by Clay because Kaepernick was heading out of bounds. The rule has clearly been enforced in such situations, versus a player trying to stay in bounds or turn up field for additional yards. Clay could've seen that if his eyes were open. One can say that contact barely took place out of bounds but Kaepernick's intentions were known several yards in advance. Dumb

12theTruth

It was a dumb hit by Clay because Kaepernick was heading out of bounds. The rule has clearly been enforced in such situations, versus a player trying to stay in bounds or turn up field for additional yards. Clay could've seen that if his eyes were open. One can say that contact barely took place out of bounds but Kaepernick's intentions were known several yards in advance. Dumb

Poor judgment = Dumb

What Harbaugh has done since is worse than what Clay did during the game! That is where the media focus should be now that Harbaugh is a ****** not that Clay is somehow a dirty player. That was my point not whether the play was a dumb one because most of us have agreed it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

CandlestickBum

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did not get a chance to watch the game until yesterday, but that hit by Mathews and the firestorm it set off was pretty insane. It looked like an all-out brawl.

Football is not a civilized sport. It is a game based on tribal warfare and Mathews clearly had it in his head that if Kaepernick ran up-field he was going to "kill" him (not literally of course). If you look at the hit, he launches himself right as Kaepernick is running out of bounds.

It looks like a split-second decision, maybe completely out of instinct and completely oblivious to the fact that he is stepping out of bounds, so I do not think it was a flagrant or "dirty" hit. If it were, he would have deserved to have been ejected. At the same time, concussions are serious business and he deserved the penalty and it should not have been offset.

It was not as if he hit him five second after the play were over or did a Suh stomp. It does not look like a dirty hit, but it was clearly a bad decision based on a lack of awareness of where the sidelines were and I do not think there should have been an offsetting penalty.

Anyway, it was a great game. You clearly have a very good team this year. Good luck in the rest of your season.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kapernick has streaked around and past us for tons of yardage and touchdowns before.... nobody knew his intentions before he actually ran out of bounds. This game and play like that are split-second decisions. Anticipations. Nobody is psychic out there, and when you start to think you might be, they can trick you and stay in bounds.

Matthews launched from in bounds still. He flew like Superman.

Was it a penalty?
Absolutely. No question.

Was it dumb, or in the long run, smart?
I love the play.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did not get a chance to watch the game until yesterday, but that hit by Mathews and the firestorm it set off was pretty insane. It looked like an all-out brawl.

Football is not a civilized sport. It is a game based on tribal warfare and Mathews clearly had it in his head that if Kaepernick ran up-field he was going to "kill" him (not literally of course). If you look at the hit, he launches himself right as Kaepernick is running out of bounds.

It looks like a split-second decision, maybe completely out of instinct and completely oblivious to the fact that he is stepping out of bounds, so I do not think it was a flagrant or "dirty" hit. If it were, he would have deserved to have been ejected. At the same time, concussions are serious business and he deserved the penalty and it should not have been offset.

It was not as if he hit him five second after the play were over or did a Suh stomp. It does not look like a dirty hit, but it was clearly a bad decision based on a lack of awareness of where the sidelines were and I do not think there should have been an offsetting penalty.

Anyway, it was a great game. You clearly have a very good team this year. Good luck in the rest of your season.
Good luck to you as well, see you in Lambeau in January.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I am guessing the league has no issues with it since he didnt get a fine--(yet)- unlike Suh and his $100,000 fine

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really really wish I knew how to make GIFs. I would make one where it shows Clay in the process of leaping while Kraepernick is still in bounds.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Jeez guys its now Wednesday here in the U.K. and we are still arguing about this hit ??? BOTH teams were fired up, and penalties were going in left, right and centre. I can`t say it was the brightest thing Mathews has ever done, but as a Packer fan it gave me a buzz seeing such fire in him. The 49ers beat us fair and square and no matter what we say, thats the fact. We were beaten by the current NFC champions as was pointed out to me and was the truth. Why cant we just focus on the next game ?

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I personally LOVED it..... what is wrong with CM3 doing some product testing? He was simply testing the durability of the 49ers helmets and pads, nothing more, nothing less. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts