1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

When someone targets your QB, you defend your QB. Plain and simple.

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Brandon, Sep 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandon

Brandon Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +106
    You won't find a bigger Packer fan, but I'm really tired of seeing and hearing my fellow green and gold compadres complain about the "missed referee call" on getting that personal foul squabble settled. Clay Matthews is a tremendous player and made several good plays- that being said he started a fire when he expressed how you stop a guy like Colin Kap. He then proceeds by blatantly diving out of bounds to lay a hit on the QB when he clearly is out of bounds--this was not a mental mistake, this was an aggressive attempt and sending a message.

49'ers had every right to come to their QB's defense, Green Bay would have done the same thing if the situation was reversed. We deserved to be penalized there and I thought it was generous of the refs to basically eliminate the penalty all together. We were given an opportunity to stop them and we failed to, plain and simple.

Tremendous game either way you look at it. Green Bay played an elite team at home and almost beat them. I have a feeling we'll be seeing the 49'ers again in the playoffs, hopefully with both teams healthy. This to me wasn't the revenge game--revenge game comes later. Hats off to you San Fran, your team looks for real, but so are we.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Munch

Munch NFL Owner

Ratings:
    +83
    Stupid penalty by Matthews. He's lucky he didn't get ejected. I'm all for hammering Kapernick but in the legal, good play fashion.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,442
    At least it wasn't like the Jets/Bucs game where the late hit penalty actually was the reason that Tampa Bay lost the game.

4. ExpatPacker

ExpatPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +515
    Matthews' late hit also lends credence to Harbaugh's complaints. He doesn't come off as a whiner anymore but as a coach who had a legitimate concern about his QB being targeted.

5. Brandon

Brandon Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +106
    Nah, he's still a world class whiner. Solid coach, aggressive play style, smart decisions... but an incredibly loud whiner nonetheless. I've never seen a coach shake their head and yell at the refs as much as he does when GOOD things happen for his team.

"Vernon Davis in for the TD!!!!"

Harbaugh: "HEY! ZEBRA! WHAT WAS THAT? YOU CLEARLY SAW VERNON GO IN UNTOUCHED! THROW THOSE ARMS UP WITH MORE ENTHUSIASM NEXT TIME, WHAT A BUNCH OF BULL!"

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
  6. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,442
    In all fairness though, while you could do without having it look like whining, that's what you want your coach to be doing. Your player could walk into the endzone untouched, and while everyone else is celebrating, seeing your coach chew out the refs because they missed an obvious hold/offsides/interference elsewhere is good. He's not pacified by the end result because he knows these things will bite him in the butt later if he doesn't call attention to it now. The key between good and great coaches is to not come off as a whiner to the refs, but as a respectable and reasonable coach with legitimate concerns.

I used to referee. I ignored the coaches that yelled all of the time. Their crap was boring and I couldn't care what they had to say. I'd actively listen to any rational coach, right or wrong, and make corrections and changes as needed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Brandon

Brandon Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +106
    I agree with your take on this 100%. This is why, despite my dislike for the man, I very much respect Jim. I still prefer more of the Belichick approach where when you score handle it like a business, move on to the next play and get down to the brass of the situation. Jim does too much honking and wonking for my likings.

Still, nothing compares to the exasperated enthusiasm that Pete Carroll constantly shows. Any time a first down is made seems like he's out there celebrating with his players. Just rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +832
    Staley has done more dirty work in a single game than the entirety of games every player on the packers defense has played combined.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,673
    I'm with the Packers 100% right or wrong.
    That is being loyal to your team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,442
    What's that supposed to prove?

11. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    I'm a big Matthews fan but that was dumb **** (he even said so himself) and I posted that on the shout box at the time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +784
    Ejected?! What have you been smoking? It was a late hit - nothing more. Even the retarded announcers said it looked worse than it actually was. As soon as we eject guys for late hits we have a problem.

• Like Like x 2
  13. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +784
    A lot of refs will turn on a coach that bitches too much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Marvin49

Marvin49 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +58
    1) The ejection would be from hitting Staley in the facemask. Twice.
    2) Troy Aikman was nuts when he said that. Clay launched himself 2 feet from the sideline and took Kaep down a full 6 yards out of bounds. There is no reason whatsoever to launch yourself from only 2 feet from the sideline.

15. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,060
    I used to coach and I hated refs that ignored my yelling. My crap wasn't boring...it was state-of-the-art, I tell ya.

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Marvin49

Marvin49 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +58
    lol

17. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,060
    The "rational" coaches were the boring ones ... phft...

18. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Fun fact, Clay's 1st personal foul.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. NorthWestCheeseHead

NorthWestCheeseHead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +371
    I don't think that anyone has stated that Matthews was undeserving of the penalty, or that what the OL did was entirely unwarranted. However the rules clearly state that there should have been a loss of a down in the situation that occurred. That didn't happen and it lead directly to a TD instead of a FG. The only generosity from the refs at that point was to give the 9'ers another undeserving shot at the end zone. Lets not even get into the whole to decline or not to decline the penalty from one play earlier.

20. NorthWestCheeseHead

Ratings:
    +371
    This was already covered in this post: here

21. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,970
    And no reason for Boldin to smack Shields in the face mask either.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. PFanCan

PFanCan That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.

Ratings:
    +868
    I believe that I am loyal to the Packers, but I disagree with the choice that Matthews made on making that late hit.

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.

23. Raptorman

Raptorman Vikings fan since 1966.

Ratings:
    +827
    As there was no reason for Shields to push him in the back as he came into the area.

24. Marvin49

Marvin49 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +58
    Which is exactly why BOTH the NFL and Pereira have stated Staley shouldn't have been flagged.

Wait...wha? You can rant all you want...that doesn't make you any less wrong.

25. NorthWestCheeseHead

Ratings:
    +371
    Pereira is a hack and the NFL rarely doesn't back up the refs at least in part. Where as you can clearly see the rules called for the flag regardless of how pedestrian it appears. Also those "punches" were more so open palm attempts to move the player out of Clay's personal space. Defend your QB during the play, not after like a mook.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.