When is the next time the Packers will sell stock in the team?

GBFANATIC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it was 1997 when stock for the team was sold last. I was 13 at the time and didn't know what stock and shareholders even meant. When will the day come that the option to buy stock in the team reemerges?

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I think it was 1997 when stock for the team was sold last. I was 13 at the time and didn't know what stock and shareholders even meant. When will the day come that the option to buy stock in the team reemerges?
I wouldn't hold my breath. They only sell stock to raise capital for large projects, like re-doing the stadium. But look at the bright-side, you were 13 when they last did it so you may come a time in your life they do. Unfortunately I did not have the money to buy the last time, otherwise I would have at least 1 share.

dewitt60

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not in the foreseeable future. The rest of the NFL hates the fact that to raise money we simply sell stock and the cows and sheep come to the tank. That's not something and independant owner can do. It comes directly out of his pocket or his business and in todays NFL their accounted differently. In fact we'bve have to be on death's door step and then you'd have a contingent from both coasts against it. When we used the last one in conjunctioin with PSL's and taxes it still really pissed off most of the NFL. Son't look for it anytime soon.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, when they make their teams "public," they too can sell stock to make money. Otherwise they should ****.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
Not in the foreseeable future. The rest of the NFL hates the fact that to raise money we simply sell stock and the cows and sheep come to the tank. That's not something and independant owner can do. It comes directly out of his pocket or his business and in todays NFL their accounted differently. In fact we'bve have to be on death's door step and then you'd have a contingent from both coasts against it. When we used the last one in conjunctioin with PSL's and taxes it still really pissed off most of the NFL. Son't look for it anytime soon.

Well - the Packers are a special case and the NFL knows it. The fact that the Pack doesn't have an owner cuts both ways. The Jerry Jones'/Dan Snyders of the world are primarily in it to make money. But, because they have other business interests they also have the ability to fund their team at whatever level needed to win. It takes money to make money. The Packers lack of an owner means that all profit goes back into football operations but it also means that their survival depends solely on how well the team and league (so long as there is any revenue sharing) is doing. Because GB doesn't have an owner to fall back on and because it is in the league's best interest that GB both survives and thrives, if ever there is a need for an influx of cash the league would likely allow the publicly owned team to seek more donated capital from the public. Just the way it is. But as was said before, it would take a major need, not just the desire to up their bankroll.

dewitt60

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, when they make their teams "public," they too can sell stock to make money. Otherwise they should ****.
Other teams don't want to make their teams public because it's their playtoy. I'f I'm a billionair like Jerry Jones and dumping my money into a team why would I want a team gathering money from the masses? They don't want to answer to a board or stockholders. They want GB to be the same....not aout sellling stock to drag up cahs. The NFL would never allow it anyway. They like the good old boy network where they drink scotch and smoke Cubans. I doubt Mark Murhpy gets invited to that

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
Other teams don't want to make their teams public because it's their playtoy.

Well there is that and then there is the fact that the league would not allow it. The league has stated more than once that the Packers are a unique structure and they would never allow another team without a private owner or ownership group. Fair or unfair, Green Bay is the only team in the NFL that will ever have this structure. So even if the Dallas Cowboys decided they wanted to become a publicly owned corporation and sell stock the league would say no dice.

http://higgins.house.gov/newsroom_ARTICLE3116_7546_PG_4.shtml

Congressman Higgins Asks NFL to Allow Community Ownership of Bills
February 8, 2008

Proposal Could Have Buffalo Fans Owning Stock in Bills Team
In a letter to National Football League Commissioner Roger Goodell, Congressman Brian Higgins (NY-27) is asking the league to consider an amendment to its constitution which would allow community ownership of member teams. Under such a scenario individuals could purchase stock and maintain voting rights in a franchise.

“The Bills are a regional treasure and part of the fabric of our community,” said Congressman Higgins. “Community ownership in the Bills would give the Buffalo fans that built this franchise a real role in steering the future of this team.”

According to Higgins’ proposal, the Buffalo Bills team could mirror the current ownership structure of the Green Bay Packers, the only publicly owned football team in the NFL. The team would be owned by local shareholders and run by a board of directors elected by the shareholders. Current NFL policy prohibits establishment of leadership structure. The Packers Corporation was grandfathered in when these NFL constitutional guidelines were established.

The Congressman is also asking the NFL for consideration of an alternate “Hybrid Community Ownership” situation under which a majority of shares in the franchise would be sold to a “traditional owner” with the fans owning the remaining shares. Under this structure the majority of the day-to-day decisions would be made by the traditional owner, however the community shareholders would maintain a stake large enough to veto relocation to another community.

“We know all too well that Buffalo’s economy has seen better days, but I am just as confident we will see better days again, soon,” Higgins added. “For the first time in years there is new private investment, a massive state investment in UB, a thriving biomedical research community, and finally the development of our waterfront. A hometown NFL team is an important part of Western New York’s future.”

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if its not talked about soon it should be talked about at the shareholders meeting in July

Latest posts