What's your gameplan vs two elite pass rushers???

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This game makes me nervous in alot of ways. Rarely do we run into a team with not 1 but 2 stud pass rushers and a NT that can ruin your running game and push the pocket on a consistent basis. I just don't know how we plan on blocking these guy's...i really don't. I hope MM is designing some quick pass plays and alot of draws and screensbecause i just don't see Rodgers being able to have alot of time in the pocket this game. Prayers go up that he doesn't get hurt.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Run hard, run good and wear them out. Play action pass, short quick hitter slant routes. Having your best blocking RB in on pass plays to chip a pass rusher. Same way we have delt with it in the past few seasons. Getting sacked is not something new to Arod. We have already faced decent/good pash rushers and have delt with them after minor adjustments. We will be "ok".

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Put Rodell at LT before eventually promoting him to GM. Plan B is to run the ball towards the rusher to make him pull up. I assume you're other "elite" rusher is Ngata? Because Dumerville is not quite "elite." Elite players don't have their paperwork pushed off til the last minute.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the passing game, Dumervil will be up against Barclay while Suggs will play against Bakhtiari. Probably have to see if Barclay can hold up against Dumervil while sending help to Bakhtiari. So far this season Barclay has been pretty solid in pass protection while Bak has had some issues there. If Packers end up having to help both, you're looking at a long day for the offense. Also might see more rollouts to the side getting doubled to make it more difficult for the guy one-on-one to get to Rodgers.

Big problem though is that both Dumervil and Suggs are also pretty good against the run. I'd say overall the game plan should include screen passes and runs right at them but I wouldn't hold out hope that those runs are going to change their play overmuch.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Block them.

There were some of the same concerns against the Lions last week, and the line held up just fine.

Dumervil and Suggs definitely present a challenge. As did Orakpo, the 49ers entire defensive line (they still had Aldon at the time), and Suh/Fairley. It's the NFL and our O-line is going to be expected to hold up against some pretty good rushers. So far, they have done so with fairly good success.

12theTruth

Sunday is the ultimate test for this offensive line. While we have seen quite a few positives through Week 5, we have also seen Barclay struggle against DE's with supreme talent and an array of moves. I don't mean just struggle maybe I should say fail. The unit last week put out a solid performance but Detroit doesn't have nearly the talent on the edges that the Ravens now do with a healthy Terrell Suggs.

Baltimore has some pretty good corners so look for the Ravens to execute some run blitzes in attempts to short circuit the Packers recent running game success. I'd attack the middle of the field frequently via Finley, and something that you don't see that much of anymore from the Packers-- running some WR motion pre-snap to get Baltimore D off their game.

I think we'll see Cobb again with a carry or two or pass out of the backfield as well. The Ravens match up well with the Packers offense and I think some are underrating the ability of the Ravens offense a bit.

We'll see I think this is a tough get.

Ngata didn't practice Wednesday with a hip injury. That would be huge if he couldn't play...

Last edited by a moderator:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ravens have a great run defense. Your idea is to run against them?
Strength on strength. Let the horses loose.

In football you can change your tactics but don't change your strategy. Make the defense take the run away from you. Don't do it preemptively for them.

H

HardRightEdge

Strap it on and play as though this game defines the team as either a legit contender or a continuing question mark. Because it does.

Suggs is the only guy who should strike fear in anybody's heart in the pass rush. The guy is bonafide stud, back to DPOY level coming off the achilles, and he's a bone crusher. We better be doubling and chipping the guy all day.

I'd be more concerned about keeping the run game momentum going. This is big test for Lacy. He's got to go out there and beat some of the best run stoppers in the league with his backups dinged or in the dog house. We might see more Kuhn to add muscle.

Buffalo did beat these guys on the ground while the rookie Manual was shut down, but Buffalo has one of the best run games in the league and a better defense than ours, so they match up better outside the passing game.

We need enough success running to open up the pass where Baltimore is vulnerable...their secondary is suspect. If we don't and Baltimore starts coming at us downhill on first down and every passing situation like Cincy did and we can't make them pay for it on the ground, it could be a long day for the offense.

I call this game a toss up.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Buffalo is ranked 18th against the pass and 22nd against the rush.
Packers ranked 26th against the pass and 5th against the rush.

HRE, not sure how you consider Buffalo to have a better defense then ours???? We KILL them in defense vs the run.

H

HardRightEdge

Buffalo is ranked 18th against the pass and 22nd against the rush.
Packers ranked 26th against the pass and 5th against the rush.

HRE, not sure how you consider Buffalo to have a better defense then ours???? We KILL them in defense vs the run.

Because I've watched all of both teams' games. And the Bills have been without Byrd. I did not look at the stats when I made that assessment. Call it an eye test.

So, since you asked, lets take a closer look at the stats:

Packers D (4 games) - 375 total yds. surrendered per game, 5 take aways, 11 sacks, 41.8% third down conversion rate

Buffalo D (5 games)- 377 total yds. surrendered per game, 11 take aways, 15 sacks, 39.8% third down conversion rate

The edge goes to the Bills on the strength of take aways.

Then there's the underrated stat of yds. surrendered per play.

GB had defended 94 rushes and 147 passes in 4 games...that's 60 plays against per game, which is probably a little below the league average which typically runs about 62 or 63.

Buffalo has defended 148 rushes and 197 passes in 5 games...that's a whopping 69 offensive plays against per game, or 15% more than GB, which equates to approximately 15% fewer yards surrendered by Buffalo per play, a significant difference and a big edge to Buffalo as a more efficient defense.

There's the cliche, "a good defense is a good a offense". The converse..."a good offense is a good defense"...is equally valid. An O that keeps the D off the field reduces opponent opportunities. GB's time of possession is 29.31. Buffalo's is 27.41 despite all the rushing they do. 2 minutes might not seem like a lot, but it is...it separates the #4 team from the #16 team, for example.

I'm not even going to look at the typical "points against" stat that is quoted everywhere. It's useless unless you sift out the opponents' defensive and special team scores when measuring a defense. If anybody has a regular source for that adjusted stat I'd like to see it. I'm not going to go through the box scores to create it myself...this time. As an example, the standard stats charge Houston's D for Schaub's 4 pick-sixes...that's just not right.

I will say this about the GB/Buffalo comparison...Buffalo seems to have a lot of guys who take a lot of snaps, with some set nickel substitutions. The Packers use more guys off the bench in rotation and situational substitutions. So, the Pack might have a better bench, or at least a bench that plays more. Buffalo's front line guys, however, are outperforming.

As noted previously I would swap our entire roster, with the exception of the QB position, for Buffalo's.

H

HardRightEdge

You guys need a reality check. You do do not understand the difference between having an elite QB vs. practice squad toss-ins.

Imagine if the Packers came out of the bye week with Scott Tolzien at QB while assuming two other starters out with injuries including an All Pro, let's say Matthews? That's the situation the Bills have been dealing with.

It's amusing you guys waited until after the Baltimore game to comment. I guess you thought the idea plausible prior to Sunday?

Buffalo just played the Bengals to a tie in regulation with their 4th. quarterback, and may be playing with their 5th. quarterback this week, none other than Matt Flynn, just signed. That would be interesting...Flynn going in after one week of practice with the team.

First, Kolb fell down, go boom, never played a snap, went to IR, and he wasn't much to speak of from the get go.

The rookie Manual was starting to look good, beating Baltimore by 3 with a run-to-set-up-the-pass game plan (sound familiar?), but he's been out for 1 1/2 games now with a couple more to go. They were tied with Cleveland on the road when Manual went down.

Jeff Tuel took over for Manual with predictable results. He's an undrafted rookie who'd never taken an NFL snap. He was supposed to be a practice squad developmental project. He finished Manual's last drive in the 3rd. quarter, but was predictably dreadful thereafter and couldn't hold the lead.

Next man up...Thad Lewis...another practice squad guy with little game experience, cut by the Bills at the end of preseason, then signed after Tuel got promoted. He had a nice game against Cincy as the outcome indicates.

Guess what? Lewis has a foot injury and may not play this week. What now? 5th man up, Matt Flynn.

The Bills losses have been by 2 to NE, 7 to NYJ, 13 to CLE after blowing the lead with Tuel, and 3 to CIN in OT.

The Bills are decent-to-outstanding in each of their starting units, with a top drawer running game, a decent collection of receivers, and a vet defense with several impact players. With Rodgers this Bills team would be 12-4 caliber. Swap Rodgers out for Scott Tolzien and what do we have...4-12, maybe 6-10 if all the breaks go our way. On second thought, no, this would be a 4-12 team.

How good is TT...really. Economical, risk averse, gets little edges here and there in the risk/reward equations, not as effective with his front office brain trust gone to other teams in the past few years.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
You can write whatever dispute you want man, but you are the one who said you would give up everyone exept Arod to have buffalos team. How is that not sounding insane? C'mon man.
You would want to give up guys like Matthews, hayward, Hawk, Nelson, J.Jones, Cobb ???
I could see having C J Spiller, that guy is damn good, but your statement was way to bold imo to not get some dispute attention in return.

H

HardRightEdge

You are correct....lol

Ok then, I guess I would swap out everyone too, with the exeption of #12..... that way, we could have an upside down 2-4 record like buffalo as well.

I'd give you a partial agree on that. If you were swapping Rodgers for Coleman or Tolzien instead of some unnamed guy left to the imagination, what would it be?

H

HardRightEdge

You can write whatever dispute you want man, but you are the one who said you would give up everyone exept Arod to have buffalos team. How is that not sounding insane?

I just explained it, but if you want more detail, here you go:

Spiller, Fred Jackson, Choice...that's a strong trifecta. Stevie Johnson (admittedly a bit of a knucklehead) who's missed some time, the rookie Robert Woods who is polished beyond his years, and the rookie sprinter Goodwin to stretch the field is not a bad combo. A guy like Rodgers would make them look even better.

Mario Williams, Kyle Williams (a real stud) and Dareus is a strong front. Alonzo's a Defensive Rookie of the Year candidate and Lawson is a pretty good football player. The All Pro Byrd, who's admittedly likely out the door after this franchise tag year, has been out until this past Sunday. McKelvin's a pretty fair corner. There is a lot of impact and playmaking on this D.

You can't go by the stats and fantasy tip sheets to take the measure of a team's talent. An elite QB makes everybody better, on offense and defense.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just explained it, but if you want more detail, here you go:

Spiller, Fred Jackson, Choice...that's a strong trifecta. Stevie Johnson (admittedly a bit of a knucklehead) who's missed some time, the rookie Robert Woods who is polished beyond his years, and the rookie sprinter Goodwin to stretch the field is not a bad combo. A guy like Rodgers would make them look even better.

Mario Williams, Kyle Williams (a real stud) and Dareus is a strong front. Alonzo's a Defensive Rookie of the Year candidate and Lawson is a pretty good football player. The All Pro Byrd, who's admittedly likely out the door after this franchise tag year, has been out until this past Sunday. McKelvin's a pretty fair corner. There is a lot of impact and playmaking on this D.

You can't go by the stats and fantasy tip sheets to take the measure of a team's talent. An elite QB makes everybody better, on offense and defense.

So what you're saying is if you were a Bills fan, you'd love to have Rodgers as your QB?

Members online

Latest posts