1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

What's your crazy gas price?

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Oshkoshpackfan, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    Within the last week and a half down here in eastern NC we have seen gas prices jump sky high.
    We went from $3.30 per gal. for regular to $3.85 in just 10 days. What are you guys paying for gas in your areas? Maybe I won't feel so bad about my price if I hear yours. I just find it absolutely nuts that the price is so damn high. NC gas tax is .59 cents per gal.

2. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,065
    In a month's time... $3.18 per to a current $3.75 and no end in sight (since there is no reasonable supply and demand reason to explain it away).

3. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,977
    3.89 but gas buddy on facebook is predicting a drop in a week

4. Deke

Deke Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    By my calculations you are paying approx. $1.017 per litre - give or take a cent or two.

Currently in the UK unleaded is costing up to £1.40 per litre. That equates to $2.13 a litre or $8.06 per US gallon!

I use diesel, which is at £1.46 per litre and so $8.55 a gallon. And rising...

... just going on eBay. To buy a bike!!

5. texaspackerbacker

texaspackerbacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +58
    Yeah, as bad as it is, we are a helluva lot better off than the rest of the world. It's about $3.58 even here in Texas. After 33 straight days of higher prices, it dropped a penny or two. This is the time of year when there is less demand - not vacation season - so summer could be even worse. Time to get frackin'.

6. mhnessie

mhnessie Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +790
    Indeed, compared to our gas prices here in Europe 3.58 UDS or even 4.00 USD/gal. are still a bargain ! ;)

7. mhnessie

mhnessie Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +790
    Ouch, thats even worse than in Germany.
    1.46 Euros per litre (diesel), means 1.27 GBP per litre and 7.25 USD per gallon. :rolleyes:

8. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    why is it that the euro gas prices are so damn high? technically you guys are closer to the middle east or is it that it is taxed to death on you? Or do you not produce any of your own oil to suppliment prices?

9. PFanCan

PFanCan That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.

Ratings:
    +875
    I work in the oil & gas business. Have done so for 24 years. I have also lived in the UK and paid the ~$8/gallon prices quoted above. The highest I ever paid was in 2011 when I took the family on a drive from London, through the chunnel, across France, Belgium, and into Holland. In Amsterdam, I had to refill and paid nearly $12/gallon. I've seen it as high in Tokyo, Japan and Hong Kong as well. Ouch.

To answer your question: Prices are higher in Europe for two reasons. First, they are taxed much more by the government than ours. This is to bring in more tax money as well as put pressure on consumers to change their lifestyles to match what they can afford. Hence, all of Europe either drive small fuel-efficient cars or avoid owning a car altogether and make use of the mass transit systems (or walk/bicycle). They also tend to live much closer to their workplace than the average American (just my observation, no statistics to back that up).

In short, Europeans put much more consideration into their travel costs than we do. They need to plan it ahead. We just jump in the SUV and go.

Secondly, the governments do not give the oil producers tax breaks like the US currently does. This means that the producers need to pass on their entire cost to the consumer (plus profit margin).

So........ keep this in mind when our federal government eliminates those "hated" tax breaks for the big bad oil companies. Do you think companies will let that cut into their margins? Think again. It simply gets passed on to the consumer with an increase in fuel prices. I am not sure how much it will increase, but am guessing it to be significant.

By the way, I also lived in Calgary for a few years. I typically paid a dollar more per gallon in Calgary for fuel that was drilled, produced, and refined within a couple hundred miles of the station than I paid just across the border in Montana-- whose fuel possibly came from the same Canadian oilfields as above!

It's all about taxes/subsidies.

Oh, and one last comment: This big debate over whether Obama should clear the new Keystone pipeline which would carry tar sands oils (aka: dirty oil) from Alberta into the USA is quite silly. The environmentalist think that by killing the pipeline that Canada will stop producing the tar sands. Think again. If the pipeline is killed, they will build the Northern Gateway pipeline to BC and ship the oil to China.

Imagine how silly this scenario is: Tankers heading west across the Pacific carrying Canadian oil bound for China while tankers pass them heading east from the Middle-East heading to the USA. Crazy, eh? Let's keep the oil as local as possible and reduce transport costs and emissions in total. Just my humble opinion.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. texaspackerbacker

Ratings:
    +58
    Amen. There's a thread in this forum about ENTITLEMENT. Just my opinion, mind you, but I feel like we Americans are ENTITLED to cheap energy - arguably one of the keys to our high standard of living. You are spot on regarding the factor of taxation for variation in the price at the pump - both within the this country and in the world. The European-style social welfare state - which Obama and the left is bent on inflicting on America - is the difference maker in gas prices and in our life style versus their life style in general.

11. PFanCan

PFanCan That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.

Ratings:
    +875
    To clarify this point: When and if Congress eliminates these tax breaks, US gasoline and home energy prices will immediately increase to us consumers. This is because the oil and gas producers need to maintain the profit margins that their shareholders demand.

So.... Think about this.

It's essentially a way for the Federal government to get more money from YOU without having to raise your taxes.

The media and Democrats have portrayed the oil companies as being so evil and greedy that they got the general public in a frenzy to eliminate these "unfair tax credits", which actually benefit YOU...

Trust me on this: Exxon will make the same profit margins before and after the tax changes. It's the consumer who will pay the difference.

By the way: I actually support an increase in taxation on the oil companies. Raise fuel prices to $8 or more. Us Americans need to lower our energy needs. But the government should put the additional revenue to debt payment or as a way to lower our taxes. However, I know that this thinking is folly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. texaspackerbacker

Ratings:
    +58
    Amen to this also. I will just add, the hated oil companies make only SINGLE DIGIT CENTS PER GALLON of gasoline. They not only won't eat the additional cost without those tax breaks; They can't - without selling at a loss - which of course ain't gonna happen.

13. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +391
    Went up to $3.75 about 2 weeks ago here in Green Bay

14. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +391
    Every gas station I've seen is $3.75. Usually u have a couple that are a few cents higher or lower.

15. NorthWestCheeseHead

NorthWestCheeseHead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +375
    3.54 here for reg.

16. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +391
    $3.54

• Like Like x 1
  17. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,977
    3.69-3.90

• Like Like x 1
  18. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Over the past several years, I have noticed three things upon which the local price of gas is dependent. 1) the reported direction of the Chinese economy. 2) whether all American refineries are running, no major accidents or other slowdowns. 3) The perceived impact of storms in the gulf whether they actually disrupt production or not. Political events seem to be much more short lived and may spike pump prices but rarely long term unless it is a game changer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    woo-hoo....down to $3.30 now....

20. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +391
    Who ever thought that we would cheer b/c gas has gone down to $3.30. The cheapest I remember gas being is about .85

• Like Like x 1
  21. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    And just think......when our president took office it was $1.79 per gallon for 87 oct regular, now look at the difference.....

22. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Price went back UP a nickel today? I thought they were dropping? :mad:

23. NorthWestCheeseHead

NorthWestCheeseHead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +375
    They went down about .10 over the weekend where I'm at.

24. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    went up .09 cents in one damn day....wow....

25. PackFanNChiTown

PackFanNChiTown Bear Fan's Bane

Ratings:
    +364
    Doesn't that oil already get piped into the US via the refineries in the Dakotas?

If the oil is beneficial to the US, (domestic vs. foreign oil), why is it that TransCanada has already admitted their purpose for getting the oil to the refineries in the gulf area is so it can be processed for sale on the world market?

Here's just one article from Canada on the topic:
    http://globalnews.ca/news/197157/ea...-alberta-oil-if-keystone-pipeline-gets-nixed/

The way the Canadians make it sound, the only thing the Keystone is going to do is provide them a vehicle to get their product onto the world market as fast as possible. It doesn't sound at all that they want to keep selling solely to the US.