What's the deal with the defense?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
By Chris Havel

When contemplating the Green Bay Packers' 1-2 start as they prepare for Monday night's game at Philadelphia, these are the things that make me go "Hmm?"

# Al Harris, the Packers' top cornerback, spoke out to a Milwaukee newspaper this week, but what he didn't say stood out.

Harris singled out Carl Hairston, Winston Moss and Lionel Washington for praise. He complimented them on being "great coaches" and noted each was a former NFL player. If he mentioned other defensive coaches, specifically coordinator Bob Sanders and defensive backs coach Kurt Schottenheimer, I missed it.

A head coach, coordinator or position coach doesn't have to be a former NFL player to be great. However, the coach must be able to relate to his players, which means establishing common ground in order to communicate effectively.

That hasn't happened on defense. Do Harris' comments reflect his frustration, or do they indicate a deeper rift on the staff?

If the Eagles' offense torches Green Bay, it suggests one of two things: Either the Packers' defense lacks the talent to compete with the NFC's best, or the coaches and players can't get on the same page despite being painfully aware of the problem. Neither is good.

# Because of the running game's ineffectiveness, coach Mike McCarthy has decided to start Brandon Miree in place of William Henderson at fullback. That's a good call if it's because the veteran hasn't been doing the job. But it's a bad call if it's because the coaches misjudged the fullback's role in their version of the zone-blocking scheme.

The fullback must seal off defensive ends and linebackers, and Henderson said he can do that. If more is required of the fullback, it's a subtle but significant change and suggests frustration and/or doubt in the scheme.

McCarthy needs Miree to be a heck of a run blocker, and needs rookie guards Daryn Colledge and Tony Moll to continue to improve. If not, the running game will keep limping along — with or without Henderson.

# Kicker Dave Rayner has been excellent on kickoffs, and he hasn't missed a field goal since a 53-yard attempt in the opener. He hasn't been tested, either.

If the Packers hope to hang with the Eagles, odds are Rayner will have to deliver. A nationally televised night game in front of hostile crowd is an excellent chance for Rayner to stake his claim. It also could be the first step to the waiver wire.

Rayner and punter Jon Ryan were scrutinized and criticized during the preseason, but so far, the kicking game ranks among the least of the Packers' worries.

# Brady Poppinga is too hardnosed and hard-working not to improve. If he continues to be exposed in pass coverage, there is a point where common sense suggests it isn't the player. It's the coaching. That point is fast approaching.

# By Tuesday morning, I'm guessing, Packers fans will think Vernand Morency is pretty good, A.J. Hawk is outstanding and Charles Woodson is a lot like Allen Rossum — a punt returner moonlighting as a cornerback.

They also will think Nick Collins needs a sidekick, communication is underrated and 11 points wasn't quite enough.

Chris Havel can be reached by voice mail at (920) 431-8586 or by e-mail at [email protected]

kewlbeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
# Brady Poppinga is too hardnosed and hard-working not to improve. If he continues to be exposed in pass coverage, there is a point where common sense suggests it isn't the player. It's the coaching. That point is fast approaching.

hmmm.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kewlbeans said:

hmmm.

I kind of agree with this. The coaching on defense has been awful in my opinion. Manuel is a prime example. He started 15 games I believe last year and wasn't near as a weakness in Seattle as he is in Green Bay right now. Perhaps the Sanders needs to make adjustments to the system. I'm not sure but coaching definately needs to prove.

Not to say the players don't have to improve either though. They do.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is interesting to read that our kickers are not a weakness, as I too thought they were going to be just that. If we could get some decent kick coverage, our special teams would be good enough.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
By Chris Havel
If the Eagles' offense torches Green Bay, it suggests one of two things: Either the Packers' defense lacks the talent to compete with the NFC's best, or the coaches and players can't get on the same page despite being painfully aware of the problem. Neither is good.

They also will think Nick Collins needs a sidekick, communication is underrated and 11 points wasn't quite enough.

Chris Havel can be reached by voice mail at (920) 431-8586 or by e-mail at [email protected]

Failure for the defense tonight might also suggest that these young guys just aren't ready or haven't come together yet.

There were a number of changes to the defense in the offseason and it takes time to put that all together. TT was obviously hoping that Manuel's experience would bring the secondary together, but he's been the weakest part of the defense. The need to better pass coverage from Pop and a sidekick to Collins are the two biggest weaknesses on the defense right now. If they can come together, then this should be a fairly strong defense.

GO PACK GO!!!

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
Zero2Cool said:
By Chris Havel

Failure for the defense tonight might also suggest that these young guys just aren't ready or haven't come together yet.

There were a number of changes to the defense in the offseason and it takes time to put that all together. TT was obviously hoping that Manuel's experience would bring the secondary together, but he's been the weakest part of the defense. The need to better pass coverage from Pop and a sidekick to Collins are the two biggest weaknesses on the defense right now. If they can come together, then this should be a fairly strong defense.

GO PACK GO!!!

I made a similar observation in another thread. Four of the seven guys, Woodson, Hawk, Poppinga, and, Manuel are new. Even when Carroll comes in it's in a new role.

Manuel and Poppinga did not start working with this group until virtually the season started due to injury. Poppy must obviously be impressive in practice to take over so quickly and I'm not so sure Underwood wouldn't have been a factor had he not gotten hurt.

They've played three games together. It's a little early to tell where the problems are coming from other than...they've played three games together.

If they were returning all eleven guys like the Bears it would be a different story but not being on the same page every play is understandable. Frustrating as hell, but, understandable.

So is not making any MORE changes. GEEZ. Let 'em get to know each others name first.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts