1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

What's the deal with the defense?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Zero2Cool, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8

2. Lare

Lare Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Not much I can disagree with there.

3. kewlbeans

kewlbeans Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

hmmm.

4. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I kind of agree with this. The coaching on defense has been awful in my opinion. Manuel is a prime example. He started 15 games I believe last year and wasn't near as a weakness in Seattle as he is in Green Bay right now. Perhaps the Sanders needs to make adjustments to the system. I'm not sure but coaching definately needs to prove.

Not to say the players don't have to improve either though. They do.

5. Timmons

Timmons Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    It is interesting to read that our kickers are not a weakness, as I too thought they were going to be just that. If we could get some decent kick coverage, our special teams would be good enough.

6. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Failure for the defense tonight might also suggest that these young guys just aren't ready or haven't come together yet.

There were a number of changes to the defense in the offseason and it takes time to put that all together. TT was obviously hoping that Manuel's experience would bring the secondary together, but he's been the weakest part of the defense. The need to better pass coverage from Pop and a sidekick to Collins are the two biggest weaknesses on the defense right now. If they can come together, then this should be a fairly strong defense.

GO PACK GO!!!

7. warhawk

warhawk Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    I made a similar observation in another thread. Four of the seven guys, Woodson, Hawk, Poppinga, and, Manuel are new. Even when Carroll comes in it's in a new role.

Manuel and Poppinga did not start working with this group until virtually the season started due to injury. Poppy must obviously be impressive in practice to take over so quickly and I'm not so sure Underwood wouldn't have been a factor had he not gotten hurt.

They've played three games together. It's a little early to tell where the problems are coming from other than...they've played three games together.

If they were returning all eleven guys like the Bears it would be a different story but not being on the same page every play is understandable. Frustrating as hell, but, understandable.

So is not making any MORE changes. GEEZ. Let 'em get to know each others name first.