What's Ted Thompson's 2012 Packers game plan?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Andrew Brandt says he would be shocked if Rodgers doesnt have anew deal in place in 20103..

Yeah I see the reasoning at that point in giving him some up front cash and restructuring his deal. But to do it now seems a little premature. He has nice increases, I guess he could want a 10 year contract to make him a packer for life or something like that, then again I remember how the last one turned out.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no idea what I would do. I trust TT completely.

What I want come next year's draft is another pass rusher opposite Matthews. A stud. Capers and Greene have done wonders with scraps really, but it's one position that lacks production, and that will impact our defense greatly.
I feel the same way, but drafting #32 is not easy to find a stud, especially a stud OLB.

Look at some of the studs at that position the past 2-4 drafts:
-Aaron Maybin
-Larry English
-Vernon Gholston
-Everette Brown
-Brandon Graham (Eagles rookie last year, got hurt early, hasn't done anything, but finally returns this week to go after Romo).

There are plenty more taken in the first 35 picks of drafts at OLB who have not amounted to crap, so that's a tough position to take.
I still wanted Jerry Hughes outta TCU in 2010 instead of Bulaga. The Colts took him and have tried to make him a down lineman DE in their scheme and it's not worked.

I feel like he could have been James Harrison in our scheme, or Lamar Woodley. But we had to take Bulaga who free-fell to us.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody out there will throw any big money at Ryan Grant.
Everyone thinks he's just a guy in a system. And he kinda is.
But we like him.

PackPackPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF we got rid of Nick Collins we would need to draft a safety that could match his talent level. I mean, I am not sure why we would get rid of him though, he is more of an asset than a liability. However, I am sure Ted Thompson knows what he is doing.

Donald Driver will definitely not be on the 2012 GB Packer team (I would be shocked if he was). I think CB Charles Woodson could stay for another season, we'll see. Sam Shields is already developing nicely into a solid defense back and will compliment Tramon Williams in the future as GB Packer's #1 and #2 starting DB's.

Finally, I am more worried about the defense than the offense. Defense should be the biggest concern going into next year...so I guess we'll see. I wouldn't mind letting Erik Walden go...

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel the same way, but drafting #32 is not easy to find a stud, especially a stud OLB.

Look at some of the studs at that position the past 2-4 drafts:
-Aaron Maybin
-Larry English
-Vernon Gholston
-Everette Brown
-Brandon Graham (Eagles rookie last year, got hurt early, hasn't done anything, but finally returns this week to go after Romo).

There are plenty more taken in the first 35 picks of drafts at OLB who have not amounted to crap, so that's a tough position to take.
I still wanted Jerry Hughes outta TCU in 2010 instead of Bulaga. The Colts took him and have tried to make him a down lineman DE in their scheme and it's not worked.

I feel like he could have been James Harrison in our scheme, or Lamar Woodley. But we had to take Bulaga who free-fell to us.
I agree that it's hard, moreso in our system, but, like you mentioned, both James Harrison and LaMar Woodley weren't drafted in the first round...

L

Lunchboxer

I would love it if TT would draft another great Pass Rusher Oppsite of Mathews then our D line would be Nightwmare ish Crazy Inanely Good. Then that would mean Mathews and the New Guy getting Double Teamed that means Raji or someone else can Rush the QB for a Sack.

L

Lunchboxer

IF we got rid of Nick Collins we would need to draft a safety that could match his talent level. I mean, I am not sure why we would get rid of him though, he is more of an asset than a liability. However, I am sure Ted Thompson knows what he is doing.

Donald Driver will definitely not be on the 2012 GB Packer team (I would be shocked if he was). I think CB Charles Woodson could stay for another season, we'll see. Sam Shields is already developing nicely into a solid defense back and will compliment Tramon Williams in the future as GB Packer's #1 and #2 starting DB's.

Finally, I am more worried about the defense than the offense. Defense should be the biggest concern going into next year...so I guess we'll see. I wouldn't mind letting Erik Walden go...

I think DD has 1 more season left in him. Baring any unforseen Injurys during this season.

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree with most people that next draft we should go heavy defense. We need help at OLB, and DL. Also, may need help in the secondary depending on what happens with Collins, but Woodson is getting up there too...

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Trying to predict what TT does is futile. But since this IS a non-game week and the games in the Atrium are slow, I'll play along.
Depending of course on who falls to 32 and what positions, with my view from the La-Z-Boy I'd look for another nose tackle or DE first and bolster the pass rush from there. Wynn and Wilson are OK but not dominant. Green and Pickett are on the backside of their careers and no longer dominate. Neal hasn't been able to suit up. Raji is basically soloing on the pass rush it seems at times. Then I'd look for another CB. As stated by others, Woodson is getting long of tooth and there are no guarantees yet that House can do it or that Shields isn't a short term wonder. Also with Collins' neck injury his career may be done so then Woodson may slide over there. After that maybe an OL to back up the interior and groom to replace Wells. After that it becomes a crapshoot but I'd not object to a 4-5 round QB with Flynn likely gone via FA. Maybe a LB in that area also.
After gaining SB46, I foresee DD and Clifton hanging up their cleats. Woodson contemplating it but coming back, Flynn gone as a FA, Grant done. Hopefully Collins can return and Neal gets to stay healthy.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody out there will throw any big money at Ryan Grant.
Everyone thinks he's just a guy in a system. And he kinda is.
But we like him.

I was shocked when someone paid money for Javon Walker, Kampman, and Ahman Green. So you never really know. Common sense doesnt always apply to GMs in the NFL

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think DD has 1 more season left in him. Baring any unforseen Injurys during this season.

He isnt worth it though. The Packers should cut him at that point as he isnt even close to his salary. And he is my favorite packer on the team right now.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Trying to predict what TT does is futile. But since this IS a non-game week and the games in the Atrium are slow, I'll play along.
Depending of course on who falls to 32 and what positions, with my view from the La-Z-Boy I'd look for another nose tackle or DE first and bolster the pass rush from there. Wynn and Wilson are OK but not dominant. Green and Pickett are on the backside of their careers and no longer dominate. Neal hasn't been able to suit up. Raji is basically soloing on the pass rush it seems at times. Then I'd look for another CB. As stated by others, Woodson is getting long of tooth and there are no guarantees yet that House can do it or that Shields isn't a short term wonder. Also with Collins' neck injury his career may be done so then Woodson may slide over there. After that maybe an OL to back up the interior and groom to replace Wells. After that it becomes a crapshoot but I'd not object to a 4-5 round QB with Flynn likely gone via FA. Maybe a LB in that area also.
After gaining SB46, I foresee DD and Clifton hanging up their cleats. Woodson contemplating it but coming back, Flynn gone as a FA, Grant done. Hopefully Collins can return and Neal gets to stay healthy.

Sheesh, now I'm reminded of a quote from the Replacements; "Oh, thanks Jumbo. You can just rock me to sleep tonight."

SEWICHEESE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think DD is a goner after this season(hes gonna have to play for someone else or retire). Your thinking with your heart instead of your head. TT doesnt do the feel good thing(keeping DD past his usefullness) and we could use the salary cap room. I would be shocked if TT keeps him around. That being said DD is a class act and was a great packer, nothing personal towards him bu this is a business.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think will take the best player available, regardless of position, unless he sees a real gem available for the right price. Then he might trade up.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I think DD is a goner after this season(hes gonna have to play for someone else or retire). Your thinking with your heart instead of your head. TT doesnt do the feel good thing(keeping DD past his usefullness) and we could use the salary cap room. I would be shocked if TT keeps him around. That being said DD is a class act and was a great packer, nothing personal towards him bu this is a business.
Donald Driver, barely a starter even in name anymore, has two drops, according to STATS, but could have been charged with more. Sometimes, he’s not even included in three-receiver sets. He has just 15 catches and a career-low 8.3 yards per catch with two touchdowns. There’s almost no way the Packers bring him back next season under the terms of his current deal, which includes a roster bonus of $2.2 million and a base salary of $2.6 million in 2012.
http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20111111/PKR01/111111160

Staff online

Latest posts