Whats It Like Growing Up In Green Bay?

matt baumann

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Packer fans, I recently wrote an extensive article about what its like growing up in Green Bay for deadspin.com. Originally they told me the story was going to run the day of the thursday opener but they opted against it in the 11th hour. I'd really like packer and football fans everywhere to read and provide me some feedback. Please read and enjoy.
http://hedonistwithamoralcompass.blogspot.com

Attachments

• Lambeau.jpg
    Lambeau.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 179

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Love to help, Matt...but I grew up 20 miles southeast of Green Bay in a town of 1900 people. ;) World of difference between the metropolitan/cosmopolitan Green Bay, WI area and Bugtussle, Wisconsin. I can tell you though that EVERYONE in Northeastern Wisconsin owns at least one cow, didn't get indoor plumbing or an indoor telephone until the mid to late-90's (we climbed the telephone pole just like in Green Acres) and .... ok.... I'll shut up. ;)

Tell you something, I was exposed to large metropolitan areas early on and often even as a farm boy. Frankly, I served a lengthy internship in Washington D.C. and could have stayed on there as a full-time salaried employee but just could not shake my farm-boy roots - just could not have adjusted to living in a concrete jungle. Nice to visit and LEAVE the East Coast. Since then, I've lived in nearly every corner of the State of Wisconsin (kind of a crappy job right out of college) and just felt the need to get home. Now, I recognize that isn't unusual...most everyone has warm and fuzzies when thinking back to their childhood and hometown and such, but, this was different. Northeastern Wisconsin is one best kept secret that we'd like to keep that way.

That's not to say that we don't have the same problems that other areas have with drugs and gang activity...given the geography, most people think that there is NOTHING between Chicago and Green Bay. In reality the Fox River Valley area is populated by about 400,000 people from Oshkosh north to Green Bay and it is a 2-hour drive (if you do the speed limit) from Green Bay to Milwaukee via US Hwy 41 on the West side of Lake Winnebago, or, via I-43 along the Lake Michigan side. In the metro areas, people commute that every day to work. Takes me 22 minutes to get from my back door to the employee entrance at work from Oshkosh to Fond du Lac -- approximately 27 miles via Hwy 41.

A traffic jam here is being the 4th car in line to turn left against on-coming traffic. The air is clean. Perfect strangers say good morning to each other with a smile at Starbucks.

Truthfully, here in NE Wisconsin, we go about our business and really don't give a rat's behind WHAT the national pundits say or think - we're built that way. Sometimes though, I wish the camera guys would not always zero in the largest and most unattractive women, or, the drunkest buffoon wearing a flippin' cheesehead that they can find in the stands at Lambeau, but so be it ... I'd like to extend my invitation to the national media to visit, leave their money and go home. :) We like it here.

OP
OP
M

matt baumann

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Weeds-

Yea I know what you mean i've lived here for a lonnnng 23 years and I love it. I hate how Green Bay is portrayed on monday night football as this cold desolate hole (the frozen tundra) when in actuality we have summer days that consistantly reach 90+ degrees. Thanks for your insight weeds.......What did you think of the article I wrote???

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I thought it was written by a guy who loves the Green Bay Packers. :) Sort of like the guy who wrote "Field of Dreams" loved baseball.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
My first trip to Green Bay last week. My wife and I were firstly impressed with how clear and blue the sky's were. You don't see sky's like that in southern California. We loved the small town atmosphere. It would be awesome to own one of the houses around Lambeau. To be immersed in Packer Lore, talking to the girl at the FedEx store about how Arron would come in and shoot the bull with them. We retire in two years and we are seriously thinking of renting a place from Sept to thanksgiving every year in GB. Very Nice story.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
The worst thing about growing up in Appleton, 30 miles southwest of Green Bay, was all the damn Packer fans! :)

OP
OP
M

matt baumann

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this would be a great place to raise a family or retire...if you can handle the winters. Nothing like sunny cali :)

sped2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice article! I do think we have quite a bit of diversity, though. I attended Franklin and West, both of which are incredibly culturally diverse... obviously not as much as most other cities with an NFL team, but I definitely learned a lot about different cultures from those schools. As a parkee (and only someone from Green Bay would know what a parkee is, lol) I see a ton of diversity, as well. Particularly at city-wide events. I think it really depends where you live.

I most definitely grew up in Green Bay. It's an experience, for sure.

Also, and I'm assuming you went to Southwest because of the other schools you mention, we probably know many of the same people (especially since the kids you mention include Brittany Favre, who went to school with many of my friends at Southwest... at least for half the year). My brother played baseball with Mike Sherman's kids, though they weren't on the same team. It was the Babe Ruth league I think.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Wow... you guys are YOUNG. No offense intended...just the ramblings of a bitter old man. ;) Back in the day, I used to drink with Paul Coffman, Lofton and Eddie Lee at Jungle Fever...long as you didn't talk football and mention how much the Pack sucked back then, you were welcome. Hahaha...

OP
OP
M

matt baumann

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My buddy lives like 2 houses down from nick collins...he says he looks like ****. Neck brace and everything...i hope its not the sterling sharpe injury all over again.

Pat4DaPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been to Green Bay once, for the Return to Titletown. There was one thing I liked especially. I grew up 30 mins outside of Chicago in a town of 27,000(Glen Ellyn, IL). The feel that I got from Green Bay was that it was like Glen Ellyn having an NFL team. Not a huge city, but a close community that shares a common love for the Packers.

Members online

Latest posts