What's a system QB?

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually think a "System" QB applies moreso to college players than NFL. NFL QB's can adapt to other schemes and packages better than a typical system player. I would love to see an argument for Rodgers being system as he plays under center, shotgun, bootlegs, moves whatever else he does. I personally think a system QB statment does not apply as well in the NFL. Big league QB's typically have some ability to shift from different packages and play effectively. I guess an argument can be made for a QB that thrives in the West Coast but struggles in a pass heavy deep game.

I always looked to system QB's as players in college, so here are some examples of system guys:

Texas Tech runs a stereotypical system. Their QB's put up monster numbers, don't really translate to the league (Yes, I know Harrell...). Run out of a shotgun and pass the ball 90% of the time (at least in the 2000's). Timmy Chang of Hawaii was a system QB. If you want a great example of a system player from college who barely made it in the pros as a backup look up Kliff Kingsbury. College beast, nice arm, decent accuracy, always played in the shotgun and couldn't take a snap directly from the center when he got the the NFL, hence the system QB.

I fully expect to take some crap for this post.:eek:

I think you hit it on the head. System QBs are mostly in college. Players in the NFL can have a good game (Flynn) or a good season (Derek Anderson), but you cant make a career out of being a system QB. Defenses are too good and too smart for that.

And they dont win MVPs.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I did some checking. It's mainly a term used to degrade a QB who has impressive stats. But here's the deal... we've all watched football for awhile. I've watched Montana, Marino and Favre.
Say what you will but what Aaron Rodgers does with his passes is really amazing. The smarts of Montana, the release and accuracy of Marino and the gutz of Favre. If he's a "system" QB lets go get more.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you hit it on the head. System QBs are mostly in college. Players in the NFL can have a good game (Flynn) or a good season (Derek Anderson), but you cant make a career out of being a system QB. Defenses are too good and too smart for that.

And they dont win MVPs.

Ask any college player going to the pros, they say the game jumps in speed 10 times. Players are that much better and faster. I knew a guy from college that was in camp with the Browns and he said something along the lines of imagine the best smartest superstar in college - that one guy a team has that everyone says oh wow he is going to play on Sunday and be in the Pro Bowl. Now translate that to every single player on offense defense and special teams.

Like ivo said the coaching gets a lot smarter so that has to play a factor. Once they figured out Derek Anderson he has been toast. Still waiting on the Timmy Tebow saga to end. I am sure he is a great guy but watching him play football is painful at times. Can't argue it I guess, he still won a bunch of games and beat the Steelers so what do I know.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ask any college player going to the pros, they say the game jumps in speed 10 times. Players are that much better and faster. I knew a guy from college that was in camp with the Browns and he said something along the lines of imagine the best smartest superstar in college - that one guy a team has that everyone says oh wow he is going to play on Sunday and be in the Pro Bowl. Now translate that to every single player on offense defense and special teams.

Like ivo said the coaching gets a lot smarter so that has to play a factor. Once they figured out Derek Anderson he has been toast. Still waiting on the Timmy Tebow saga to end. I am sure he is a great guy but watching him play football is painful at times. Can't argue it I guess, he still won a bunch of games and beat the Steelers so what do I know.

Reggie bush was one of the best players I have ever seen in college. He is avg in the nfl. It's amazing the jump to the pros and what it does to players that look unstoppable.

Then you have cam newton and Vick. If they are hitting on all cylinders I'm not sure what a defense can do. They might be the opposite of a system QB, so physically talented no one else can do what they do.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score

Here's my bold prediction: Matt Barkley will be no better than avg, just like every other USC QB for the last 40 years (with the exception of Carson Palmer). Seriously, people talk smack after three Penn State RB flop, but still no talk after 40 years of USC fail.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's my bold prediction: Matt Barkley will be no better than avg, just like every other USC QB for the last 40 years (with the exception of Carson Palmer). Seriously, people talk smack after three Penn State RB flop, but still no talk after 40 years of USC fail.

While I don't think any school will ever have a revolving door of all pro QBs in the nfl, I do find it impressive that next season they might have alumni quarterbacking 4 different teams.

Purdue I guess has a decent claim for QB U. The nickname cradle of Quarterbacks is well earned.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
While I don't think any school will ever have a revolving door of all pro QBs in the nfl, I do find it impressive that next season they might have alumni quarterbacking 4 different teams.

Purdue I guess has a decent claim for QB U. The nickname cradle of Quarterbacks is well earned.
The thing is, USC QB consistently look amazing in college. Sanchez has been figured out, Cassel was entirely overrated, Leinart won a heisman and still wound up as a back-up. Palmer is the only USC QB considered a "sucess." They start out well enough, but then for some horrible reason (decision making IMO) they fall off the map.

I don't know why Purdue doesn't get a better rep, they consistently produce quality players. Granted I'm a bit biased due the fact my grandfather is an alumnus.

Members online

Latest posts