What ya think about TT???

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

After watching the Packers play for the last 4+ games without Aaron Rodgers I´m wondering about what you think about Ted Thompson.

Taking a closer look at the entire roster this team doesn´t have a lot of talent and in my opinion that´s the GM´s responsibility. Actually I think the Packers rank in the bottom of the league in talent on a lot of positions (OL, TE, ILB, S) and aside of RB and WR they don´t rank in the top half of the league either.

Ignoring free agency is a huge mistake, especially if the drafts turn out to be as bad as they were in ´11 (six players not with team anymore) and ´12 (four).

The only reason TT is considered one of the best GMs in the league is because 21 other were didn´t draft Rodgers in 2005, and if he wouldn´t have fallen to the Packers that year TT would (should) have been fired years ago.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. voted 2x GM of the year by his peers
2. Not his fault for injuries to Finley, Collins, Cobb, Rodgers, Matthews, Tramon, Hayward, Nelson, Jennings, Benson, Starks, ect
3. You realize he put together the team that is 2nd all time offensively in the modern era?
4. He won a SB
5. He took a team that was a complete train wreck when he got here and fixed it.

If TT was fired he would be hired in an instant. Looks at his GM tree, every year teams try to grab fruit from the tree of Ted Thompson.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he's a good GM whose early round scouting has been a bit suspect in recent years. I think having many of his subordinates plucked from his team for promotions with other teams is hurting.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Captain WIMM, why did you wait until now to advocate the firing of Thompson? Would you have started this thread if Aaron Rodgers hadn’t gotten injured?

In addition to what ivo610 posted regarding Thompson this is from a post I wrote on October 31st:

• Built teams which have made the playoffs four consecutive years, and five times in the past six seasons – the only NFC team to have done so.

• Built teams which have won 19 consecutive games over two seasons, setting the franchise record and second best in NFL history.

• Built a team that won the Packers 13th Championship; and not only that but that Championship team was so deep it won it all even though it finished the season with 15 players on IR, including eight who started at least one game and six starters on opening day who sustained injuries in the first seven games of that season.

• Built teams with a winning percentage over 61%, which is closing in on his mentor’s winning percentage in Green Bay. His winning percentage is higher once he was allowed to hire
his HC.

Thompson, McCarthy and his staff waited too long to waive Harrell and Coleman and find their replacements. No question that was a mistake. But is that a 'GM firing mistake'? Not even close IMO.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought i knew but i honestly don't know what to think about this guy. I'm not going to bash him but i will say he's a little overrated as a GM. I'll give him his credit and say he's made some good picks and taking the risk on Rodgers has probably gotten him more credit but alot of his picks havn't panned out and i will never forget the Harrell pick smh... the situation with the backup Qb is all on him. Lost some GM cred with that blunder. He's more to blame for us being in this mess then Capers sorry defense but people don't like to talk about that tho.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT is a GREAT GM!

The only thing even remotely negative I could say about TT is that he may be relying a little to heavily on his draft & develop strategy. Some people seem to think that 50 out of 53 players being drafted players or UFA's is a badge of honor, I believe it has hurt us as all that means is you are relying on unproven players and hoping they all pan out.

If you look at his body of work, outside of the Favre/Rodgers saga, the most important thing Ted ever did here was the singing of Charles Woods on Ryan Pickett. Since then, nothing but guys to fill roster spots during the FA period. That being said, I can also look back at the last 5 years of FA and I don't remember ever seeing one guy that I thought the Packers should have a made a legitimate run at other than Peppers. Can you imagine having Peppers and CM3 rushing from the same side? However, I don't know that Peppers would make a good 3-4 end.

My point of all this is that while I would be nice to see him do something in the vein of Woodson and Pickett. Those kind of players simply have not been available in recent FA periods. So bottom line is I think he has done the best he can with the tools available to him.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haters always going to hate.

"TT sucks because he only likes the players he drafts. He sucks because he never signs FAs."

TT signs a FA RB Kahlil Bell and cuts 4th round Pick Jerron McMillian.

"TT sucks because he signs a 2nd hand RB and TT also sucks because he picked a bust at Safety and he wasn't even rated highly by Mel Kiper and . . ."

TT deserves a contract extension - not only has he had the most success of any GM over the last 5 years - he also has to put up with the fringe Packer Fan element that will always hate him.

Name 1 GM that has had more success than TT in the last 5 years.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know TT personally but I don't like him, in fact seeing him and hearing him speak turns my stomach.
The main reason for that is, he looks and talks just like my ******** next door neighbor. They could be twins.
The fact is, the Green Bay Packers have had alot of success under the TT, MM regime and I like success.

This is an aberant year due to injuries to key people. TT has no control over injuries.
Perhaps next year the football gods will smile on the Packers and Ted will be GM of the year again.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
... the situation with the backup Qb is all on him.
No, the backup QB situation isn’t all on Thompson. McCarthy, Tom Clements, and Ben McAdoo (in descending order) share the responsibility. At the end of every season McCarthy and Thompson do an evaluation of their staffs and the players, so from the end of last season up to the draft they, along with the OC and QB coach, no doubt talked about the backup QB situation and what they expected from Harrell and Coleman. None of us know what was said but because he had only had one season in the system, my guess is they were expecting Coleman to progress to the point of challenging Harrell for the backup spot. Since Harrell had been around for a few years, my guess is while they didn’t expect him to improve; they certainly didn’t expect him to regress. We all know now Coleman wasn't up to the task and Harrell for some reason did regress. If McCarthy had informed Thompson he thought neither Harrell nor Coleman would be good enough at backup QB in the spring, I’m sure Thompson would have acquired another – either in the draft or shortly thereafter. Again, we don’t know exactly what was said but I think it’s a fair bet McCarthy and Thompson were both watching the backups and they decided one or both of the backups needed replacing shortly before Thompson signed Vince Young.

From what I’ve read and heard, Thompson and McCarthy work very closely together with regard to the personnel on the team. I don’t see a scenario in which Thompson approaches McCarthy out of the blue and tells him Harrell and/or Coleman have to go since I believe them when they say they collaborate on such decisions. Thompson is GM/VP of football operations so ultimately he's responsible for everything. But no GM works alone so responsibility has to be delegated. I'm surprised someone who has been bragging about his football knowledge lately doesn't know this.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought i knew but i honestly don't know what to think about this guy. I'm not going to bash him but i will say he's a little overrated as a GM. I'll give him his credit and say he's made some good picks and taking the risk on Rodgers has probably gotten him more credit but alot of his picks havn't panned out and i will never forget the Harrell pick smh... the situation with the backup Qb is all on him. Lost some GM cred with that blunder. He's more to blame for us being in this mess then Capers sorry defense but people don't like to talk about that tho.

He found a decent backup QB. Aside from a little more than a good quarter by Flynn, Wallace played better against the Bears than both Tolzien and Flynn have. Wallace also lead a decent drive his next game before getting hurt.

It's unrealistic to expect the Packers to be three deep at QB.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He found a decent backup QB. Aside from a little more than a good quarter by Flynn, Wallace played better against the Bears than both Tolzien and Flynn have. Wallace also lead a decent drive his next game before getting hurt.

It's unrealistic to expect the Packers to be three deep at QB.
So who is our decent backup QB? Would he please show up this week against the Falcons because I doubt Rodgers will play.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted inherited a bad team and with him the Packers have won a Super Bowl, been to the NFC championship, and won the division a few times. Very few teams have more overall wins. Yes, more Super Bowls would be fantastic, but people who think Thompson is doing poorly have unrealistically high expectations and I'm glad they aren't in charge of the Packers. We'd end up like the Browns who keep cycling through coaches and personal. Yes he makes mistakes, but the fact is they have been one of the most successful teams since he took over. That is success that simply cannot be argued with intelligently.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So who is our decent backup QB? Would he please show up this week against the Falcons because I doubt Rodgers will play.

I just said that Ted found Wallace who was decent. It's not realistic to expect the Packers to be three deep at QB. It's not Ted's fault Wallace went down.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Captain WIMM, why did you wait until now to advocate the firing of Thompson? Would you have started this thread if Aaron Rodgers hadn’t gotten injured?

No, probably not, because none of us would have known how bad this team is without Aaron Rodgers.

I know that the Packers have had a lot of success with Ted Thompson as GM, but it´s not because TT is a great GM. The only reason for that is that he´s the only GM in the league that has had two future Hall of Fame QBs. If there wouldn´t have been 21 stupid teams that didn´t draft Rodgers before the Packers in 2005 TT´s tenure as a GM wouldn´t be a success.

This team lacks talent and Rodgers can cover up for all of it. If he can´t play this team is worse than the Jacksonville Jaguars. I don´t accept injuries as reason for that as well. Every team has injuries. And last time I checked the horrendous defense that showed up in Detroit on Thanksgiving was missing one starter (Hayward).

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, probably not, because none of us would have known how bad this team is without Aaron Rodgers.

I know that the Packers have had a lot of success with Ted Thompson as GM, but it´s not because TT is a great GM. The only reason for that is that he´s the only GM in the league that has had two future Hall of Fame QBs. If there wouldn´t have been 21 stupid teams that didn´t draft Rodgers before the Packers in 2005 TT´s tenure as a GM wouldn´t be a success.

This team lacks talent and Rodgers can cover up for all of it. If he can´t play this team is worse than the Jacksonville Jaguars. I don´t accept injuries as reason for that as well. Every team has injuries. And last time I checked the horrendous defense that showed up in Detroit on Thanksgiving was missing one starter (Hayward).

I don't care how bad the team has looked recently. Five games doesn't override the teams success under Thompson. 4-12 team to perennial contenders.

Even if Rodgers was playing and they still had a poor season, so what. The Pats didn't make the playoffs after their first Super Bowl of the 2000s. The Seahawks were not good few seasons ago. I bet people were doubting those teams GMs then. Every team comes back down sometimes.

For injuries, every team loses their top two QBs? If Rodgers didn't go down (teams do not do well with third string QBs) we wouldn't even be having this discussion. The defense played a lot better with Rodgers playing too. Other than time of possession I don't know how he correlates to better defense, but that what the games are telling us.

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
Forget about what TT has done since 2007 what people need to really appreciate about him his how he overcame all odds and became an undrafted free agent with the Oilers in 1975. Who wouldn't want a GM that was that overachieving 37 years ago. Same for Capers. Judge him by his accomplishments back when they wore leather helmets.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I don't care how bad the team has looked recently. Five games doesn't override the teams success under Thompson. 4-12 team to perennial contenders.

Even if Rodgers was playing and they still had a poor season, so what. The Pats didn't make the playoffs after their first Super Bowl of the 2000s. The Seahawks were not good few seasons ago. I bet people were doubting those teams GMs then. Every team comes back down sometimes.

For injuries, every team loses their top two QBs? If Rodgers didn't go down (teams do not do well with third string QBs) we wouldn't even be having this discussion. The defense played a lot better with Rodgers playing too. Other than time of possession I don't know how he correlates to better defense, but that what the games are telling us.

Top two QBs??? Seneca Wallace shouldn´t have been our backup in first place, another thing TT messed up.

I know it´s tough to win with a backup QB in this league, although some teams are capable of it because they have talent all over their roster. I don´t except the Packers to win the Super Bowl with a backup QB, but man, have you seen them play over the last five games??? This team is the worst in the league without Rodgers, and that´s the GM´s fault. Period.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Top two QBs??? Seneca Wallace shouldn´t have been our backup in first place, another thing TT messed up.

I know it´s tough to win with a backup QB in this league, although some teams are capable of it because they have talent all over their roster. I don´t except the Packers to win the Super Bowl with a backup QB, but man, have you seen them play over the last five games??? This team is the worst in the league without Rodgers, and that´s the GM´s fault. Period.

Who should have been the back up then? All the all pros waiting around to be signed? Harrell and Coleman didn't work out. That happens in the league. Players don't pan out sometimes.

Just the GM's fault? Not any of the many staff members? How about the players who were near the top ten in defense in the first half, proving they had enough talent to play well?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Who should have been the back up then? All the all pros waiting around to be signed? Harrell and Coleman didn't work out. That happens in the league. Players don't pan out sometimes.

Just the GM's fault? Not any of the many staff members? How about the players who were near the top ten in defense in the first half, proving they had enough talent to play well?

Thompson should have either drafted or signed a free agent in March to be the backup QB. It´s true that players don´t pan out, but they should have known about Harrell and Coleman after last season and not wait until training camp.

The GM is responsible for the talent level on a team. And it´s pretty obvious this team doesn´t have enough talent without Rodgers.

I don´t think the defense played that great when Rodgers played. First of all they weren´t on the field that much, but still allowed 22.6 points per game, although facing RGIII on one knee, a Brandon Weeden-led Browns team and the Lions without Calvin Johnson.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson should have either drafted or signed a free agent in March to be the backup QB. It´s true that players don´t pan out, but they should have known about Harrell and Coleman after last season and not wait until training camp.

The GM is responsible for the talent level on a team. And it´s pretty obvious this team doesn´t have enough talent without Rodgers.

I don´t think the defense played that great when Rodgers played. First of all they weren´t on the field that much, but still allowed 22.6 points per game, although facing RGIII on one knee, a Brandon Weeden-led Browns team and the Lions without Calvin Johnson.

The QB coach and McCarthy also evaluate QBs. Maybe TT wanted to get another, but they convinced him it wasn't needed. I don't know, but that's not just on TT for not getting one earlier.

He is responsible for the talent and they've had enough talent for years to win. Rodgers does make up for a lot, but also costs a lot so losing him is huge. The defense played well enough to win with Rodgers and that's good enough for me.

Should the team be able to at least win one game without Rodgers? Of course, but with TT's track record and Rodgers' back, I'm confident they will contend again next season like always.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Of course, but with TT's track record and Rodgers' back, I'm confident they will contend again next season like always.

They´ll always be a contender as long as Rodgers is the QB and is able to stay healthy. But they could be a way better team if they would have more overall talent on their roster. And I think there would be GM candidates out there capable of improving the talent level on this team and therefore improve the Packers chances to win another Super Bowl with 12.

Members online

Latest posts