what would you trade for Richard Sherman?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 6794

To bring it back to the original point-- some Packer fans have lost perspective on these issues because they've been blessed by two and half decades of strong GM performance. Most Green Bay fans under 50 have no idea what it's actually like when your roster is being put together by someone incompetent.

It seems you're forgetting about Mike Sherman.

D

Deleted member 6794

No, but he's something of a blip on the radar at this point no? Sandwiched between these two guys with 10+ years of success.

While that's true Sherman was the Packers' general manager for four years and even though there's no doubt he was a terrible GM the team made the playoffs in every single season from 2001-04.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
While that's true Sherman was the Packers' general manager for four years and even though there's no doubt he was a terrible GM the team made the playoffs in every single season from 2001-04.

Because roster choices have a delayed effect. But Thompson and Wolf were both around more than long enough to prove that it was their choices having the subsequent effect of success.

D

Deleted member 6794

Because roster choices have a delayed effect. But Thompson and Wolf were both around more than long enough to prove that it was their choices having the subsequent effect of success.

While that's true it's interesting the Packers didn't make the playoffs two seasons in a row before Sherman was hired as the team's general manager.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree. You mentioned Brees and Roethlisberger (who went through a spell without PO's when the roster took a downturn). Philip Rivers is a darn good QB who has been sabotaged by his GM's. Romo couldn't get there for years with what Jerruh was doing to the club. Dan Marino (who, for my money, is the GOAT) missed the playoffs seven times in his career. The Colts have missed in back to back years with Luck. The Falcons went through a three year drought with Ryan.

Look, I'm not saying any of the above (other than Marino) are as good as Rodgers, but they're all somewhere on the spectrum of "great" to "elite" and their teams still missed because the rest of the roster was mismanaged. Their GM's were not able to just stick them in there and go on autopilot and make the playoffs (which is how several people characterize TT's job).

I realize the defense has been an issue and must improve. But you can't say that Rodgers is relied upon more heavily than any QB in the league. He has a top 5 offensive line-- according to PFF they are the best pass blocking unit in the game in terms of pressures allowed. And Rodgers holds the ball longer than anyone not named Tyrod Taylor. He also perennially has one of the better groups of pass catchers to throw to. This takes nothing away from him. He's amazing. But TT has also done a pretty good job of supporting him and keeping the roster healthy overall over his time as the GM.

If you want to say that TT is derelict in not signing FA's to help the defense, I think that's fair. But to say he's just been able to draft Rodgers and coast is nonsense.

I thought you were speaking in terms of QB's now, not going back; my bad. The bolded part, I never said. My point was in agreeing with the oft posted sentiment here that this team relies more on Rodgers than any other team. The Pats, Broncos, the Ravens of 2000 and 2012, etc., have been able to win without great QB play. Take away Rodgers for the year, this team won't win more than 4 games, if that.
As far as the best pass blocking line, we'll see how that plays out with Lang gone.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, we've gone over 2 pages without mentioning the subject of the thread. Another thread that has devolved into the same petty he said she said style of bickering that has ruined many threads this off season. Same combatants in the same corners using the same arguments.
EDIT: And I will do a lock on any thread that turns this way this long again. Find and USE the existing TT thread so I can ignore it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts