What would you do with Hunt

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cut, trade, work with(how),bench,play til he drops,etc. what would you do with Hunt, the All-Pro Underachiever? :(

I think I know what they'd like to do if it wasn't for the salary cap ramifications.

Cheezy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd keep him because maybe under Bates system he will play the way we always wanted him to. If not i see him being cut.. :twisted:

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My neck itches - and when that happens, it's because I heard something, or my psychic sense is afire.... - either way, whilst I scratch my head... wasn't Hunt involved with a little weed smokin' awhile back? Not judgin' the guy - I was full tilt into it in the 70's.. had one rolled up by the Alarm clock every morn'... if ya walk into work with redeye - they lay off ya...

Canadian packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really thing this was one of sherman's worst signings when he was GM.... I didn't think when hunt sign his deal he was worth the money and I still don't. I remember when he sign for the big bucks there were other teams after his services (I wish he had went to another team) Too bad the packers couldn't trade him. I really thought they would try to rework his deal to lower the cap hit. The main issue is the packers would take too much of a cap hit if they release him. Grady Jackson totally out played him and is making a lot less money. I wish I could make that kind of money sitting on the bench. I am a loyal packer fan but he is one of the packers I can't stand.

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not trying to make excuses for Sherman, but I think GB was between a rock and hard place when Hunt was signed to this contract? If I remember correctly, Holliday was an UFA and had suffered a pretty major should injury. Likewise, Gilbert had another lack luster season because of injuries and his future was in question. KGB was either a RFA or UFA and teams (Philly) was making a heavy play for him at the time? GB didn't have a lot of horses in the barn and Hunt was the youngest, biggest and most promising one of the bunch. Hindsights 20/20, but I am not so sure I wouldn't have done the same thing if I had been in Sherman's shoes? Unfortunately for all concerned, Sherman gambled and lost one this one. I think you could trade Hunt, but because of his contract and lack of performance, I am sure GB would have to sweeten the deal w/ a player or pick or two to make it happen. Rumor has it Marcus Stroud is unhappy w/ his contract. Perhaps GB should offer Hunt and the MM pick for Stroud? He's just the type of young, aggressive Def playmaker GB could build their Def around for the next several years; I think he'd be worth the money.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think both of you put forth valid points....

I also think the Packers should scare the beejeebus out of him..
I'd make Cletidus "work" for the starting spot - not just give it to him.
I'd make him think some newbie being drafted is expected to be the starter in his place and make him the backup.... after sittin' on the bench fer awhile his stock will continue to plummet and NO ONE will look his way! Where else is he gonna go - and how much dough has he saved for retirement (??) I'm bettin' not much!

End result would be to see him comeback - and make Bates a soothsayer!

LOREN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
very simple, i pay him exactly what hes worth, i cut him and offer him league min salrary.

if someone else wants him, i wave goodbye, its another of the 235 reasons sherman as a gm makes a nice door stop

loren

OP
OP
P

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he's cut or traded I believe we have to absorb the remainder of his signing bonus immediately this year. That poses a problem.

If he's suspended for substance abuse next time I believe it's for a year, could the Pack recover that portion of the signing bonus? :twisted:

LOREN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerTraxx said:
If he's cut or traded I believe we have to absorb the remainder of his signing bonus immediately this year. That poses a problem.

If he's suspended for substance abuse next time I believe it's for a year, could the Pack recover that portion of the signing bonus? :twisted:

it wouldnt poss any more of a problem than haveing his no produceing number 97 on the field

there is never a cap problem to about 28 other teams, get someone in gbay to pencil the cap, theers no such thing as a cap in the nfl--just handle the thing

its not a reason to keep a guy who doesnt perform, its another lame excuse to cover a poor decision by sherman

just like the reynolds mess, allw e heard is the cap story,

OP
OP
P

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The cap problem is real. If it wasn't do you think for a moment that Dan Schneider, Jerry Jones, Paul Allan, etc. would hestate to spend the money to win a SB. It can be deferred but sooner or later the problem has to be addressed. And thank God for the cap or we'd be like baseball and the money teams would rule the league and the other league teams would be like an advanced farm system.

LOREN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerTraxx said:
The cap problem is real. If it wasn't do you think for a moment that Dan Schneider, Jerry Jones, Paul Allan, etc. would hestate to spend the money to win a SB. It can be deferred but sooner or later the problem has to be addressed. And thank God for the cap or we'd be like baseball and the money teams would rule the league and the other league teams would be like an advanced farm system.

why is it then that only two teams have a cap problem, gbay and tennessee.

simple, they arent smart enough to get around it with bonuses and other weasel outs

gbay had a cap guy who cheated like mad,tahst why favre had a new contract every year for about 7 years, hes gone a while back, now we have this supposed cap problem

just for fun, tell me how washington fits in to the salary cap the way they have been spending the last several years

and after that how about indy??

gotarace27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would send his sorry *** to NFL Europe. This would show this over payed underachiever that he was at the end of his rope. The only problem is....he wouldn't be good enough to Start.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOREN said:
PackerTraxx said:

why is it then that only two teams have a cap problem, gbay and tennessee.

simple, they arent smart enough to get around it with bonuses and other weasel outs

gbay had a cap guy who cheated like mad,tahst why favre had a new contract every year for about 7 years, hes gone a while back, now we have this supposed cap problem

just for fun, tell me how washington fits in to the salary cap the way they have been spending the last several years

and after that how about indy??

i dont think you know what youre talking about buddy.

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Loren, I'll tell you how, they have rich owners with deep pockets who can pay hugh bounuses to off set smaller contracts. GB doesn't have that capability..I would agree w/ you that GB doesn't do a good job w/ the cap. Many examples have been sited in the past; however, one that always slides under the radar was the signing of Chad Clifton for 10M. Flannigan played LT very well while Clifton was out w/ his injury which told me someone else could have too. I know LTs are supposed to command big contracts, but I can't see it in Clifton's case. The move prevented GB from doing anything for the Def last year and has prevented them from any moves this year as well. Likewise, GB's drafting under Sherman has been nothing short of atrocious; a hugh factor in controlling the cap. This is nothing new. Having said all that, I would agree that GB should do everything it can to improve the team while Farve is playing. Mortgage the future as far as possible. Considering all Farve has given this organization, he deserves nothing less!

OP
OP
P

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank You Arrow.

GB and Tenn aren't the only 2 with cap problems.

Good management is more important now because of the cap.

GB has been deferrring bonus payments to Favre, eventually we'll be accountable.

Smoot, and Baily are gone because of money,the Skins can't sign anyone of significance unless they rework a bunch of contracts and mortgage the future more yet.

Because of the the money Indy is paying Manning and James they can't sign the defensive players they need, that's why they're willing to trade James for a 2nd round pick.

Do a little homework and then your posts will make more sense.

OP
OP
P

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Loren wrote:
there is never a cap problem to about 28 other teams, get someone in gbay to pencil the cap, theers no such thing as a cap in the nfl--just handle the thing

Loren wrote in TT thread:

"we as fans dont have a clue as to the constraints placed on him. he has walked into a situation where the talent pool is the lowest in gbay since 1992, they are zapped against the cap, they have several players with contracts that cripple the team."

OK which way is it?

OP
OP
P

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right Brett. For sure if he's not the best player at that position have the fortitude to sit his *** or you compound the problem. It would be great for Washington and/or Lee to beat him out this year.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts