What would Rodgers bring in a trade?

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What would Rodgers bring in a trade. What would be an offer they couldn't refuse? I'm not advocating either way, but it is something that should be at least looked at. It's fun thinking about how to use a nice pile of draft picks.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What would Rodgers bring in a trade. What would be an offer they couldn't refuse? I'm not advocating either way, but it is something that should be at least looked at. It's fun thinking about how to use a nice pile of draft picks.
This is a moot point... the Packers cannot trade Rodgers because his entire signing bonus would hit the cap immediately. The packers would have to pretty much cut the rest of the team lol.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This is a moot point... the Packers cannot trade Rodgers because his entire signing bonus would hit the cap immediately. The packers would have to pretty much cut the rest of the team lol.

Game .....Set and Match.......Next!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
Couldn’t the team agreeing to sign him have terms to spread out that cap hit?

D

Deleted member 6794

Couldn’t the team agreeing to sign him have terms to spread out that cap hit?

The Packers trading Rodgers would result in $59.4 million of dead money counting against the cap next season. But that's just one of a ton of stupid reasons it doesn't make any sense.

D

Deleted member 6794

Just think how things would be different if we would of waited to sign Rodgers to another contract.

The Packers made the right move by re-signing Rodgers. I fully expect him to rebound next season.

BTW in my opinion it's kind of ridiculous to suggest Rodgers is having a terrible season having thrown 20 touchdowns with only one interception. I guess he has set too high of a standard over his career.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't wait to see the posts we will get in here once Rodgers retires and we will probably not have a great qb playing for a long time

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I can't wait to see the posts we will get in here once Rodgers retires and we will probably not have a great qb playing for a long time

That time is not that far away. Personally, I think for some fans its more frustrating to have a team that appears to be grossly under achieving, than to have teams like the Packers fielded in the post Lombardi and Pre Wolf.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

The Packers trading Rodgers would result in $59.4 million of dead money counting against the cap next season. But that's just one of a ton of stupid reasons it doesn't make any sense.
Not that it matters, but I believe that $59.4 mil in dead cap would be if they cut him, not trade him. The Packers would be on the hook for the balance of the signing bonus, $46 mil, whereas his new team would be responsible for the rest assuming the trade is executed before the workout and signing bonuses come due:

https://overthecap.com/player/aaron-rodgers/1085/

Reaction score
They say Rodgers is so smart, (like in intelligent taking tests and exams ).

Why don't coaches turn him lose on game plans, play calling on the field, and let him run the team more.
Most think he's smarter then the people standing every Sunday on the side lines.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/aaron-rodgers-3745/

Click on the 2019 Dead Cap number, and Sportrac shows a much reduced cap hit in 2019 for a post-June release. However, the remaining $34 mil then comes home to roost in 2020. I believe Overthecap actually shows the same thing. Always really hard to understand the mechanics of the cap, but I've always understood a trade or a release to result in the same outcome, and that's the acceleration of the signing bonus. As you say, in this case, it's not a real question, but...

H

HardRightEdge

Click on the 2019 Dead Cap number, and Sportrac shows a much reduced cap hit in 2019 for a post-June release. However, the remaining $34 mil then comes home to roost in 2020.
I believe you are correct. Does spreading that amount over 2 years make a difference in a rebuilding scenario? I think not. This is of course merely an exercise in an aspect of capology. The point is entirely moot.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not that it matters, but I believe that $59.4 mil in dead cap would be if they cut him, not trade him. The Packers would be on the hook for the balance of the signing bonus, $46 mil, whereas his new team would be responsible for the rest assuming the trade is executed before the workout and signing bonuses come due:

https://overthecap.com/player/aaron-rodgers/1085/

You're absolutely right that the team acquiring Rodgers in a trade would be on the hook for his $13.4 million roster bonus next season.

They say Rodgers is so smart, (like in intelligent taking tests and exams ).

Why don't coaches turn him lose on game plans, play calling on the field, and let him run the team more.
Most think he's smarter then the people standing every Sunday on the side lines.

It's impossible for a quarterback to run an offense as there's no way he's capable of being responsible for the personnel on the field.

Click on the 2019 Dead Cap number, and Sportrac shows a much reduced cap hit in 2019 for a post-June release. However, the remaining $34 mil then comes home to roost in 2020. I believe Overthecap actually shows the same thing. Always really hard to understand the mechanics of the cap, but I've always understood a trade or a release to result in the same outcome, and that's the acceleration of the signing bonus. As you say, in this case, it's not a real question, but...

A team trading a player is always on the hook for the remaining prorated portion of a signing bonus. All remaining roster bonuses count against the other team's cap acquiring him as HRE correctly pointed out though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
For fun, ignoring cap implications...

4 x R1 picks
4 x R4 picks

Plus a star player coming the other way.

So trade Rodgers and McCarthy to Cleveland for those picks and Mayfield? ;) :laugh:

Some people would lose their sh*t if they made that trade and kept MM to develop Mayfield.

A trade along those lines might have been close 2 years ago, but the ability to trade Rodgers as well as his trade value has declined quite a bit since.

He isn't being traded....but since you wanted to discuss "if he was".

Last edited:

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So trade Rodgers and McCarthy to Cleveland for those picks and Mayfield? ;) :laugh:
Ah, if we add MM to the equation, I guess we need to give Adams too to even it up. ;)

Let's say, trade him to Giants for Barkley or OBJ plus all those picks. We can even take Manning for our PS :D

Members online

Latest posts