What would lombardi do?

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing that sticks out with me with the Lombardi legend, is the unwillingness to lose... he held himself as a winner should. And that starts with confidence. He expected to win. And because of that, we followed him to the promised land...

Right now, we have a shift happening... a trend of greatness forming...

In years past, there has been a tidal wave of negativity at the first sign of adversity. With our fearless leadership of #12, we got over the rough periods, and proved our team is the real deal... now days, I see pessimism, but not so much blatant negativity... it's a long term uptrend...

So let's look at this pessimism. Justified? Yea. Maybe. But you ask yourself. What would Lombardi do? I tell you what he would NOT do! And that's make excuses, or lower his expectations.... and we shouldn't either...

This team is getting healthier. I was so confident in this team earlier this year. Our dline, Lbs, secondary... we have talent on the defense. On offense, I see greatness. Thompson put together a seemingly unstoppable group of skill players around #12. .. these guys are still here. There's no reason to not expect to win..... we got this.

Without a full blown battle cry. I believe everyone already knows what we need to do. It doesn't have to be dramatic. But it's time to get pissed, and go to work with a chip on their shoulders. Collectively, harness their inner Lombardy, and expect greatness... enough talk about not making the playoffs. I want to look back at this low, and say this great team took the next step right there... They could have given up, but instead we came back and won the Superbowl... Greatness...

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately I am starting to think that the talent around Rodgers is no where near as good as Rodgers makes them look

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We lost lots under Lombardi!

We are far far away from the Scooter McLean' Packers when Lombardi took over. The will to win is still there, but obviously fate had different ideas. It'll take time to adapt.

Give the team some time before writing them off!

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Lombardi would fire TT and Dom Capers or at least do everything he could to run them out of town for there complete ineptitude. Instead we have panzi boy Mark Murphy who's only interest seems to be making a buck for the organization..

If fact he would of got rid of them years ago. They have cursed us. There boring draft picks and "smoke and mirror defenses" have wasted 12's career.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We lost lots under Lombardi!

We are far far away from the Scooter McLean' Packers when Lombardi took over. The will to win is still there, but obviously fate had different ideas. It'll take time to adapt.

Give the team some time before writing them off!

Before I make any comments, perhaps you could explain what you mean by that.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lombardi would fire TT and Dom Capers or at least do everything he could to run them out of town for there complete ineptitude. Instead we have panzi boy Mark Murphy who's only interest seems to be making a buck for the organization..

If fact he would of got rid of them years ago. They have cursed us. There boring draft picks and "smoke and mirror defenses" have wasted 12's career.

Vince couldn't fire TT because he essentially WAS TT.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vince also couldn't work them harder because of the CBA or make willy-nilly roster modifications because of the cap and free agency. Boy, I'd love to go back to those days.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before I make any comments, perhaps you could explain what you mean by that.

Our record under Vince:

1959: 7-5
1960: 8-4
1961: 11-3
1962: 13-1
1963: 11-2-1
1964: 8-5-1
1965: 10-3-1
1966: 12-2
1967: 12-4-1

It has it's peaks and lows as normal.

That aside, I have to blame alcohol for misreading the intent of OP. :whistling: Nothing can be done with pessimism amongst fans. But I think the team are still upbeat and will not be giving up.

Reaction score
Lombardi didn’t expect the best from his players..he demanded it!
Vince was First and foremost a very religious man and he always put God first. He made that very clear on multiple occasions. It’s no coincidence that he was successful IMO because he wasn’t absorbed with the the common notion today that it takes strictly man made talent to make a team successful. He would’ve took this group of above average players (and several great ones) and got the very best out of them by teaching them how to have faith in the process of discipline (or disciplined processes) and to repeat fundamentals until they became habit forming. Then would come the execution phase. He would preach perfect execution which means tireless hours of practice make perfect. He probably wouldn’t have been the most popular coach at first. Men would fear him and he would push them beyond their physical limits.. Vince would stir the pot. He might even bench a guy like Clay for a few games until he set an example.. but he would gain their trust once the glory came and they realized that he had helped them accomplish the impossible.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What else is there to do besides relentlessly chase perfection?
Host weekly cocktail parties to unwind on game day?
And would he have picked Ernest Borgnine to play him in the biopic?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our record under Vince:

That aside, I have to blame alcohol for misreading the intent of OP. :whistling: Nothing can be done with pessimism amongst fans. But I think the team are still upbeat and will not be giving up.
And out of those years 1961, 62, 65 are football champions while 1967, 68 are Super Bowl wins.

I'm glad he came along when he did otherwise they would have named it the Belichick. *Barf*

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All the pessimism is from fans and people outside the organization.

I highly doubt the players and coaches are the same way.

The organization is not giving up like fans have.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our record under Vince:

I was afraid you meant what it appeared that you did. If that record has normal 'peaks and lows as normal', there's no room for discussion. The 7-5 followed a 1-10-1, the 8-4 got them to within a Bednarik tackle and pin of Taylor of a league championship, and then five championships in the next seven years - I will take that as normal in any era, from any team, in any sport.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All the pessimism is from fans and people outside the organization.

I highly doubt the players and coaches are the same way.

The organization is not giving up like fans have.

Sure wish we could get a confidential survey of the organization. I find it hard to believe they're as optimistic as you think. And, they get paid obscene amounts of money to not give up, while it costs me to follow and support them, so I think I'm entitled to be upset in their showing.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately I am starting to think that the talent around Rodgers is no where near as good as Rodgers makes them look

We've seen Rodgers with depleted offenses in the past and he couldn't carry it. Aaron's offense is catered to him and to compliment his strengths. Oline that's better at pass blocking than run blocking, check. Receivers who lack explosiveness but read the field like quarterbacks, check. Running back who is actually a receiver, check. The Packers do have plenty of talent on offense, part of it is actually getting Hundley into a rhythm and the other part is putting him in a position to succeed. All of these short floods are doing nothing for him.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We've seen Rodgers with depleted offenses in the past and he couldn't carry it. Aaron's offense is catered to him and to compliment his strengths. Oline that's better at pass blocking than run blocking, check. Receivers who lack explosiveness but read the field like quarterbacks, check. Running back who is actually a receiver, check. The Packers do have plenty of talent on offense, part of it is actually getting Hundley into a rhythm and the other part is putting him in a position to succeed. All of these short floods are doing nothing for him.
We will see I guess, this team is 0-2 already without Rodgers. I hope they can figure it out.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Huh? That was for a few games, and it's not like Montgomery was actually used in a creative way while he was back there. The offense looks bad with Rodgers out because it is exposed for what it is.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts