What would it take to trade Rodgers??

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just hypothetically... I know he's not leaving GB for quite a while, but all these QB's getting traded, Palmer getting one 1st and a conditional 2nd, we all know the deal for Cutler, what do you think it would take to pry Rodgers away from TT and the Packers?

peteralan71

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was actually thinking about this same thing yesterday... with all the talk about Andrew Luck... how crazy/awful would it be if Ted would trade Rodgers away to whomever has the #1 pick, then picks up Andrew Luck?! I would be furious... But some people think that Luck is the next Rodgers or even better, and he will be 7 years back from Rodgers.

Again.... I'd be furious. Don't take this post the wrong way, my mind was just wondering as I was driving to the Y!

peteralan71

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's been with the pack 14 years, keeps throwing picks in critical situations, dangles the team on a string while he decides weather he feels like playing another year or not and there is a hot young QB playing backup.

OR an act of INSANITY.

You forgot to add that he decides he doesn't need to do offseason training (except throwing a ball with high school kids so he can send ****picks to the high school girls) or preseason games, which shows an enormous amount of leadership and team-player qualities. THEN, he's gone.

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was actually thinking about this same thing yesterday... with all the talk about Andrew Luck... how crazy/awful would it be if Ted would trade Rodgers away to whomever has the #1 pick, then picks up Andrew Luck?! I would be furious... But some people think that Luck is the next Rodgers or even better, and he will be 7 years back from Rodgers.

Again.... I'd be furious. Don't take this post the wrong way, my mind was just wondering as I was driving to the Y!

I've never been a gambler. Luck MIGHT be as good, Rodgers is AMAZING!!!
Luck is considered GREAT because he's the "prototypical" NFL QB by scouts, he has what they consider essential in a franchise QB. So was Ryan Leaf tough he was a tall, strong armed, pocket passer and we all know how that turned out.
The best college QB I've seen I'm only 30, BTW LOL! (not going off stats, just my own eyes) was Charlie Ward at Florida State.
Michael Vick, BEFORE Michael Vick. Tommie Frazier was amazing but didn't have the arm that Charlie had. I am convinced that if was given the chance to play in the NFL as a QB he could've been AMAZING.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's untradeable right now.

I thought of trading him for another top tier young QB plus a buttload of picks, but with the cap we wouldn't be able to sign all those draftees plus our own guys currently on the roster.

And anything short of those conditions would be underselling (right now, with Aaron playing this well at 27 years old).

So he's untradeable in today's conditions. If there was no cap or if Rodgers was a 30-something, it would be different.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've never been a gambler. Luck MIGHT be as good, Rodgers is AMAZING!!!
Luck is considered GREAT because he's the "prototypical" NFL QB by scouts, he has what they consider essential in a franchise QB. So was Ryan Leaf tough he was a tall, strong armed, pocket passer and we all know how that turned out.
The best college QB I've seen I'm only 30, BTW LOL! (not going off stats, just my own eyes) was Charlie Ward at Florida State.
Michael Vick, BEFORE Michael Vick. Tommie Frazier was amazing but didn't have the arm that Charlie had. I am convinced that if was given the chance to play in the NFL as a QB he could've been AMAZING.
Truth be told, Luck is considered the best prospect ever because he has both the tangibles and the intangibles. He's a great leader, great person, his work ethic is phenomenal, he's incredibly smart, plus he can run and make all throws.

There are a lot of things with Luck that aren't certain. He plays in a run first offense, most of his reads are out of playaction. His offense is nowhere near close to McCarthy's, and he doesn't have even close to the responsabilities Rodgers has. He is projected to develop it in the future given his work ethic and smarts, but it's not a given. And it's one of the most important aspects of an NFL QB, the pre-snap and post-snap reads, and he's not doing it in college.

Another thing is that he doesn't have the same arm and accuracy that Rodgers has. He has enough to be able to make every throw in the NFL, but Rodgers is able to make every single throw with tight coverage and throwing out of his knees. They're projecting that his arm will increase ever further with weight training and conditioning, as Rodgers' has, but it's still projection.

Luck is the best prospect to come out of college and I agree with that. But he is still a prospect, not an NFL QB.

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
Truth be told, Luck is considered the best prospect ever because he has both the tangibles and the intangibles. He's a great leader, great person, his work ethic is phenomenal, he's incredibly smart, plus he can run and make all throws.

There are a lot of things with Luck that aren't certain. He plays in a run first offense, most of his reads are out of playaction. His offense is nowhere near close to McCarthy's, and he doesn't have even close to the responsabilities Rodgers has. He is projected to develop it in the future given his work ethic and smarts, but it's not a given. And it's one of the most important aspects of an NFL QB, the pre-snap and post-snap reads, and he's not doing it in college.

Another thing is that he doesn't have the same arm and accuracy that Rodgers has. He has enough to be able to make every throw in the NFL, but Rodgers is able to make every single throw with tight coverage and throwing out of his knees. They're projecting that his arm will increase ever further with weight training and conditioning, as Rodgers' has, but it's still projection.

Luck is the best prospect to come out of college and I agree with that. But he is still a prospect, not an NFL QB.

Great post!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
O lord..Just like Brett in 90's he wont be traded...

But let's say....

Falcons offer Ryan, Turner and White maybe?

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't even begin to imagine the kind of outrage a move like this would be. It would surely come back to haunt us and possibly be one of the biggest bonehead trades in the history of the league. I d0n't think there is anything that would get Aaron Rodgers traded from GB unless Aaron himself wished to be traded for whatever reason.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
This is just ______ (insert a word that would get me in trouble on this forum). This is analogous to asking about trading Don Hutson when it became apparent to everyone he was the best at his position. Aaron Rodgers is playing the most important position in football at the highest level it has ever been played. What would it take to trade him? A complete _____ _____ of a GM, that’s what.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Just hypothetically... I know he's not leaving GB for quite a while, but all these QB's getting traded, Palmer getting one 1st and a conditional 2nd, we all know the deal for Cutler, what do you think it would take to pry Rodgers away from TT and the Packers?

An insane amount of draft picks. Even then it might not even be worth it. Rodgers skills as a passer and a scrambler are incredibly unique.

Members online

Latest posts