What/Who would you like to see the Packers draft?

PackfanFB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. I like Shazier, Mosley or Pryor (Dix will be gone). (If we want to compete against a team like SF or Seattle or any playoff team for that matter (outside of a Joe Webb-led Vikings team) , we need to solidify the middle of our defense, namely adding speed and play-making ability). Right now our ILBs are soft, Brad Jones is very weak and Hawk is steady but not intimidating or much of a play-maker. Our safeties are straight up sad, hopefully moving Burnett to SS will help him because he proved last year that he has no business ever playing FS, he has no speed, and even worse instincts.)

2. Either ILB or FS, the position we did not address in the first. Ideally, this would be Terrance Brooks or Ed Reynolds as a FS option or a guy like Borland at ILB (even though he doesn't meet the "speed" need).

3. Best WR available and DT/NT. This draft is very deep with WR talent. In the 3rd, we should be able to get a guy like Jarvis Landry, Donte Moncreif or Devin Street (who is rising up the boards). As for DT, we having pretty good DL depth right now but do not have a true 5-tech guy who can also play nose. I really like Daquan Jones from Penn State, big, tall, but not a blob like Louis Nix who would be useless against the pass.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
1. I like Shazier, Mosley or Pryor (Dix will be gone). (If we want to compete against a team like SF or Seattle or any playoff team for that matter (outside of a Joe Webb-led Vikings team) , we need to solidify the middle of our defense, namely adding speed and play-making ability). Right now our ILBs are soft, Brad Jones is very weak and Hawk is steady but not intimidating or much of a play-maker. Our safeties are straight up sad, hopefully moving Burnett to SS will help him because he proved last year that he has no business ever playing FS, he has no speed, and even worse instincts.)

2. Either ILB or FS, the position we did not address in the first. Ideally, this would be Terrance Brooks or Ed Reynolds as a FS option or a guy like Borland at ILB (even though he doesn't meet the "speed" need).

3. Best WR available and DT/NT. This draft is very deep with WR talent. In the 3rd, we should be able to get a guy like Jarvis Landry, Donte Moncreif or Devin Street (who is rising up the boards). As for DT, we having pretty good DL depth right now but do not have a true 5-tech guy who can also play nose. I really like Daquan Jones from Penn State, big, tall, but not a blob like Louis Nix who would be useless against the pass.
Reynolds looks just like Burnett did on tape, and is just as slow (while playing even slower). No thanks.

DaQuan Jones gets pushed back too much for my liking, and Josh Boyd is your 5/0 tech. Wouldn't mind getting deeper there though, we're too flooded with 3 techs in a defensive system where it's detrimental to keep so many of those guys around. Think I might like Ellis more than Jones though.

Moncrief is a 2nd, Street is a low 4. Landry is good.

PackfanFB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reynolds looks just like Burnett did on tape, and is just as slow (while playing even slower). No thanks.

DaQuan Jones gets pushed back too much for my liking, and Josh Boyd is your 5/0 tech. Wouldn't mind getting deeper there though, we're too flooded with 3 techs in a defensive system where it's detrimental to keep so many of those guys around. Think I might like Ellis more than Jones though.

Moncrief is a 2nd, Street is a low 4. Landry is good.

Do like Justin Ellis. Plays with an angry demeanor which is always good. Wouldn't put up a fit if we took him over Jones, I like both of them. I think Moncreif is a second round talent myself, but for some reason, every mock I see usually has him going in the mid-late 3rd.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Do like Justin Ellis. Plays with an angry demeanor which is always good. Wouldn't put up a fit if we took him over Jones, I like both of them. I think Moncreif is a second round talent myself, but for some reason, every mock I see usually has him going in the mid-late 3rd.
No clue why, that's an egregious falling value. Some GM will snatch him up while yelling "You FOOLS!"

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's what Nawricki has to say about the guys we've seen penciled in to us more often than any others.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...kis-top-50-2014-nfl-draft-prospects-big-board

8. C.J. Mosley, ILB, Alabama
Smart, instinctive, fast-flowing, every-down linebacker capable of manning any position in a "40" front or steering a defense from the weak side in a "30" front, where he starred for a national-championship defense as a junior and carried the Tide as a senior.
Grade: 6.42 | Draft projection: Round 1 (top 15)

11. Calvin Pryor, FS, Louisville
Perhaps the most explosive hitter in this year's crop of safeties, Pryor is a big, physical hammer in the run game, bringing the ability to intimidate and erase. Factor in his instincts and range, and Pryor has the ability to start as a rookie.
Grade: 6.32 | Draft projection: Round 1 (top 15)

13. Ryan Shazier, OLB, Ohio State

Shazier offers a tremendous combination of speed, tackling and coverage skills to become a playmaker as a run-and-hit 4-3 Will or perhaps a 3-4 weakside 'backer if protected by a block-occupying nose tackle. Value is increased by the fact that he will not have to come off the field.
Grade: 6.3 | Draft projection: Round 1

28. Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota
A raw, converted tight end with a basketball background, Hageman is a big, athletic, finesse three-technique with intriguing dimensions and movement skills who fits best in an aggressive, one-gap scheme where he could fire into gaps.
Grade: 6.04 | Draft projection: Rounds 1-2 (top 50)

29. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, FS, Alabama
Hype exceeded his performance in Tuscaloosa, but Clinton-Dix offers starter-caliber instincts, range, coverage skills and tackling ability as a free safety. Should be a Day 1 starter.
Grade: 5.99 | Draft projection: Round 1

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Clinton-Dix/Pryor
2. Mosley
3. Nix
4. Hageman
5. Nix III

I think Peppers will bring it this year. I see Brad Jones continuing to improve off of his strong finish from last year and both Perry and Jones getting noticeably better this year. I really believe that if we can add one of the 2 stud safeties listed above it will improve the defense as a whole. It is almost a MUST that we go safety IMO. I honestly think Mosley has the chance to be the best pro but based on need alone I just keep ending back on S every time I mock. But then again I am a car salesman living in Oklahoma so what the hell do I know?!?!?

Speaking of Oklahoma: Watch for TT to grab Oklahoma Sooner center Gabe Ikard in the 5-6 round. Kid may not be the best athlete ever but his football IQ is stupid good and he just has a knack for getting the job done. I have watched this kid for 4 years and think he can be a great one and a true diamond in the rough. He was a TE as a freshman and ended up being an All-American Center by the time he was done in Norman. His "limited" measurables keep him from being a 2-3 Round guy but I am telling you there is just something about this kid that I love! We will see...
Can't argue we need a safety. But with a beefed up ILB group (I like Shazier over Mosley but they both fit) and DL w/Peppers, maybe we can wait for Ward or Buchanon. I wouldn't want SEA to get Ebron.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are there any specific positions or players you want to see the Packers focus on in the 2014 draft?
I like Shazier. Mosley has injury issues. In thinking it over, a stronger DL with Peppers and a stronger inside LB with Shazier puts a lot more pressure on the QB and maybe we get by with Hyde at S and pick up another with the second pick.

That said, I think TT can trade down to 31-33 and still get Shazier and pick up another 2nd round pick and get a S like Buchanon. Now if Clinton-Dix or Pryor are around at 21, we take one of those guys and maybe add Borland later. Borland looks Hawk-like, but has a better motor and is faster.

packfan1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The longer we wait for the draft (and this year is a long wait), I'm hoping we are able to trade down to early 2 to a team that is looking to move up for a QB and then pick up an early 3rd round pick and maybe more. A player we can use will be there, whether it's at S, CB, ILB, TE, or WR. The more picks you have the better your chances of getting a decent draft class. Lacy was end of round 2...Bahktiari was in the fourth ... and Hyde was selected in the fifth round...just sayin...

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Can't argue we need a safety. But with a beefed up ILB group (I like Shazier over Mosley but they both fit) and DL w/Peppers, maybe we can wait for Ward or Buchanon. I wouldn't want SEA to get Ebron.
Peppers isn't a DL, I like Buchannon but he's not what we need on this team, and if you think Ebron falls to SEA or Ward falls to our 2nd then I can't take your opinion seriously.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peppers isn't a DL, I like Buchannon but he's not what we need on this team, and if you think Ebron falls to SEA or Ward falls to our 2nd then I can't take your opinion seriously.

^^^^^this^^^^^

No way ward is there when we pick in the second unless we traded down in the first or up in the second and I think it's a stretch to even say Ebron makes it out of the top 20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Shazier. Mosley has injury issues. In thinking it over, a stronger DL with Peppers and a stronger inside LB with Shazier puts a lot more pressure on the QB and maybe we get by with Hyde at S and pick up another with the second pick.

That said, I think TT can trade down to 31-33 and still get Shazier and pick up another 2nd round pick and get a S like Buchanon. Now if Clinton-Dix or Pryor are around at 21, we take one of those guys and maybe add Borland later. Borland looks Hawk-like, but has a better motor and is faster.

I think a lot of people think that shazier played at 3-4 ILB in college because everyone just puts him there like it's his natural position. I'm not saying he can't but there's going to be a learning period just like anyone switching positions and I don't like the idea of our first round selection going through a position change AGAIN.

packfan1

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Peppers can play DE or OLB. Also I think they will likely use him in the 2 DL interior rusher in the nickel also at times. As far as draft prospects- Ebron falling to SEA doesn't seem likely to me either, but hey, did Eddie Lacy drafted at #61 after the Packers traded down twice in the second round seem likely? Most thought he was for sure gone when the Packers passed on him in the first round. Personally, I could see Ward there at our second round pick. Maybe not, but it could happen. I like Terrance Brooks better anyway-so if Packers pick a safety in round 2 I hope its Brooks. Anything can happen come draft time and team needs often times take priority over selecting the best player. Just saying.

Last edited:

packfan1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think a lot of people think that shazier played at 3-4 ILB in college because everyone just puts him there like it's his natural position. I'm not saying he can't but there's going to be a learning period just like anyone switching positions and I don't like the idea of our first round selection going through a position change AGAIN.

Shazier may benefit from the Packers employing a "multiple defense" 3-4 and 4-3 if he is drafted. I agree...while he is speedy and can chase, often times he gets lost in traffic/overpowered when blockers get to the second level. I think he would be a good addition, but he will have to gain a little bit more weight to play in the 3-4 ILB middle IMO.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shazier may benefit from the Packers employing a "multiple defense" 3-4 and 4-3 if he is drafted. I agree...while he is speedy and can chase, often times he gets lost in traffic/overpowered when blockers get to the second level. I think he would be a good addition, but he will have to gain a little bit more weight to play in the 3-4 ILB middle IMO.

Where have you read anything about us playing 4-3? Adding the elephant position doesn't make us a 4-3, and our sub packages don't classify as a 4-3. If you're implying adding a whole new dimension to our defense just to make shazier work, it won't happen. I'm just saying, where I see shazier, is in a base 4-3 as an OLB and that's it. I guess we'll see.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah he'll have to gain weight but the bigger issue is whether he can learn to take and shed blockers. He's never really done that in college (he's been able to run around blockers) but playing inside in a 3-4 , isn't going to give him room to run around blockers, he's actually going to have to beat them. That's something that a lot of guys never get. It's not just about size (most of the blockers are going to be bigger than him matter what), it's about physicality and technique.

I'd be ok with Shazier as a trade down in the high second round but I'm pretty sure that he won't make it past the Broncos at 31 so I'm doubtful we'll ever find out if he can make the transition to inside backer.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah he'll have to gain weight but the bigger issue is whether he can learn to take and shed blockers. He's never really done that in college (he's been able to run around blockers) but playing inside in a 3-4 , isn't going to give him room to run around blockers, he's actually going to have to beat them. That's something that a lot of guys never get. It's not just about size (most of the blockers are going to be bigger than him matter what), it's about physicality and technique.

I'd be ok with Shazier as a trade down in the high second round but I'm pretty sure that he won't make it past the Broncos at 31 so I'm doubtful we'll ever find out if he can make the transition to inside backer.

Perfectly said. And I think he'll be great with the broncos because don't they run a 4-3? Anyway, if he goes to a team that runs a 4-3 and has a great rookie year, I'm sure most on the thread will bash TT for not drafting him. But that's his natural position, and I sincerely think he would not be able to pick up the 3-4 ILB role because of his EXTREMELY finesse style of play.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Howard jones... OLB

A.C. Leonard... TE

Some options you may not have heard of for later round selections

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I´d rather prefer drafting a larger OLB capable of playing on the strong side than Jones. Leonard is 6-2, Thompson won´t draft a small TE like him.

Wasn't DJ Williams 6-2? I just think he's got a lot of pass catching talent. Maybe a situational type of player. In red zone situations or as an h back.

D

Deleted member 6794

Wasn't DJ Williams 6-2? I just think he's got a lot of pass catching talent. Maybe a situational type of player. In red zone situations or as an h back.

Yeah, Williams is 6-2 as well, the only small TE Thompson drafted. Didn´t work out that well though.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, Williams is 6-2 as well, the only small TE Thompson drafted. Didn´t work out that well though.

Leonard has been compared to Aaron Hernandez by multiple reports. I think that type of player could be helpful to our offense. Maybe worth a late round risk.

D

Deleted member 6794

Leonard has been compared to Aaron Hernandez by multiple reports. I think that type of player could be helpful to our offense. Maybe worth a late round risk.

Not sure I want anything to do with a guy being compared to Hernandez. :cautious:

D

Deleted member 6794

Okay before all that, just his on field impact is what I meant.

I´d rather prefer a taller TE. In addition Leonard (who played at Florida as well and transferred to Tennessee State) had some legal issues during his college career as well, this means he could very well not even be on the Packers board.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
What can a 6'2 TE REALLY do in the red zone? The VD/Hernandez mold doesn't succeed often. It's just that when they hit, they hit big. DO NOT WANT SHORT TE. We have enough of those guys on the roster already, and DJ wasn't the only one, Ryan Taylor is freakin 6'3 (I have a 6'4 minimum which BTW only Quarless currently meets). We already have a situational pass catcher in Bostick. Give me somebody like Ebron, Najvar, Fiedo, ASJ, or Niklas. Hell, even a Lynch, Gilmore, or Bolser will do.

Members online

Latest posts