What we need for the Packers to make playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we win this week, that will likely mean that the Bears will have to keep playing and not be resting people. Pretty much every game this time of year is a playoff game. Upsets galore, it's teams that are out of it who rise up and pull upsets. Guys and teams are not only playing for jobs and contracts, but also for pride. I'll tell you what guys, if I'm watching a game in the Packers beat the Bears, and I look up at the scoreboards and see the Dolphins knocking off the Vikings, you'll probably hear me hooting and hollering from wherever you are.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
If we win this week, that will likely mean that the Bears will have to keep playing and not be resting people. Pretty much every game this time of year is a playoff game. Upsets galore, it's teams that are out of it who rise up and pull upsets. Guys and teams are not only playing for jobs and contracts, but also for pride. I'll tell you what guys, if I'm watching a game in the Packers beat the Bears, and I look up at the scoreboards and see the Dolphins knocking off the Vikings, you'll probably hear me hooting and hollering from wherever you are.
The only thing I'm concerned with is the Bears literally having nothing to play for in week 17, and it's very possible even if the Packers beat them on Sunday.

Think about it. What we're really needing is for the Vikings to self destruct. That's our path to making it in, obviously. So if the Vikings self destruct, and even if the Packers win out, the Bears win the division by default. That would put them at 9-5 and WAY behind the Rams and Saints for the #2 seed.

So in that scenario, the Bears will get either the 3 or 4 seed, and there's really no difference between the two. Both guarantee a home playoff game in the wild card round, and either way you're going on the road for the divisional game. Week 17, in all likelihood, could be a game that means nothing to the Bears. Unless they're trying to determine what 1st round matchup would benefit them more.

I could be wrong, but I don't think they're very concerned with the difference in the 3 and 4 seed. Of course that's just my opinion.

broguy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only thing I'm concerned with is the Bears literally having nothing to play for in week 17, and it's very possible even if the Packers beat them on Sunday.

Think about it. What we're really needing is for the Vikings to self destruct. That's our path to making it in, obviously. So if the Vikings self destruct, and even if the Packers win out, the Bears win the division by default. That would put them at 9-5 and WAY behind the Rams and Saints for the #2 seed.

So in that scenario, the Bears will get either the 3 or 4 seed, and there's really no difference between the two. Both guarantee a home playoff game in the wild card round, and either way you're going on the road for the divisional game. Week 17, in all likelihood, could be a game that means nothing to the Bears. Unless they're trying to determine what 1st round matchup would benefit them more.

I could be wrong, but I don't think they're very concerned with the difference in the 3 and 4 seed. Of course that's just my opinion.

You’re overthinking this. If the 3/4 seed is still up in the air in week 17, the bears will be playing to win.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
You’re overthinking this. If the 3/4 seed is still up in the air in week 17, the bears will be playing to win.
Might depend on who the 1 and 2 seeds are actually. Not sure how the Bears feel, but they may prefer going to LA first and take their chances on someone knocking the Saints out.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Might depend on who the 1 and 2 seeds are actually. Not sure how the Bears feel, but they may prefer going to LA first and take their chances on someone knocking the Saints out.
Bingo.

Lots of NFL teams over the years have thought like this. However, I will say that Nagy seems to be a "foot on the gas" type of guy. But it wouldn't be out of the norm to disregard the 3/4 seeds based on matchups.

broguy

Cheesehead
Reaction score

First of all, that likely wouldn’t be decided until week 17, so they wouldn’t know their potential matchup. Secondly, the cowboys already beat the Saints once. There’s a non-zero chance that the bears could play the cowboys in the NFC championship. I bet they’d feel pretty dumb if they rested starters in week 17 and had to go on the road to Dallas because Dallas had the 3 seed.

The point is, there’s a lot of ways the playoffs can play out. With so many unknowns, it’s generally safe to assume that in most cases it’s advantageous to have a better seed.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we win out and the Viks drop 2 out of 3, we're most likely in.

Just beat the Bears though.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Damn Poker. I knew you were smart but only a genius would come up with something like this ;)

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

There is always something to play for. If nothing else going into the playoffs with a win rather than a loss but you are right, that doesn't seem to be nearly as big a deal as avoiding injuries.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all, that likely wouldn’t be decided until week 17, so they wouldn’t know their potential matchup. Secondly, the cowboys already beat the Saints once. There’s a non-zero chance that the bears could play the cowboys in the NFC championship. I bet they’d feel pretty dumb if they rested starters in week 17 and had to go on the road to Dallas because Dallas had the 3 seed.

The point is, there’s a lot of ways the playoffs can play out. With so many unknowns, it’s generally safe to assume that in most cases it’s advantageous to have a better seed.

Good point but if they were being honest I'd bet they had a preference on who they would rather play in the divisional round. They would never say and it may not make a difference on how they prepare for it but I'm sure they have one.

You are right though always play for the highest seed if you have the chance.

D

Deleted member 6794

Good point but if they were being honest I'd bet they had a preference on who they would rather play in the divisional round. They would never say and it may not make a difference on how they prepare for it but I'm sure they have one.

You are right though always play for the highest seed if you have the chance.

The Bears most likely won't know who ends up being the #1 seed in the conference entering their game against the Vikings in week 17 though.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe it will all be moot and the freefalling Vikings lose to both the Dolphins and the Lions.

We get the best of both worlds - firing McCarthy AND making the playoffs!

Reaction score
I can see it now!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
That’s what I felt like at work yesterday!
Except I also got rolled under a Bus!

For some reason I’ve bern taking unusual risks at every opportunity lately...! For some reason All I’ve been hearing is “it’s all just a Crapshoot! It’s all just a crapshoot! Over and over! :laugh:
I feel like that Jim Carey “Yes” man

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bears most likely won't know who ends up being the #1 seed in the conference entering their game against the Vikings in week 17 though.
The Saints host the Panthers week 17. That's about as much of a lock as you can get with the way the Panthers have been playing.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if that video is faked, but if it's not, that guy's athletic abilities off the charts and we need to sign him and find a position for him.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Saints host the Panthers week 17. That's about as much of a lock as you can get with the way the Panthers have been playing.

You never know though, I'm quite sure there weren't a lot of people expecting the Cowboys to beat the Saints.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't know if that video is faked, but if it's not, that guy's athletic abilities off the charts and we need to sign him and find a position for him.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I just watched it last night and he was parading around as the Assman.
LOL...a classic Episode. Kramer (and George) was what made Seinfeld successful for me, of course I guess one could say Larry David the writer made those 2 characters what they were. Michael Richards (Kramer) sure fell flat on his face when he lost all control of himself during a stand-up performance. That was like watching a slow train wreck on stage.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I choose to remember the happier times :)

It was sad to see

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The sad thing is that if we could've beaten the Cardinals at home we really could've had a realistic (but long) shot. Throw in the Seahawks game, and either @LA or home for Minnesota and we'd be in solid shape. Shame. Wasted year.
Yeah I hate to look back but you’re right. Now those individual plays (Ty’s fumble in LA, Crosby missed FG versus Vikes and Cards, CMIII “roughing” call in the first Vikes game, and others) all add up, to 5-7-1. There’s some hope, but nothing worth betting money on. I’ll consider the season a “sort of” success if we can sweep the Bears. I know, it’s just a consolation prize.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bingo.

Lots of NFL teams over the years have thought like this. However, I will say that Nagy seems to be a "foot on the gas" type of guy. But it wouldn't be out of the norm to disregard the 3/4 seeds based on matchups.
Well, if they get the 4th seed, they’d likely play the Seahags, right? Even at home, my guess is that Nagy would prefer to play the 6th seed, whoever that turns out to be. That’s just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts