WHAT was the Biggests reason for this Loss? [Merged Threads]

vike4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I voted other, because you weren't playing the Vikings. That is why the Packers lost.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: WHAT was the Biggests reason for this Loss? [Merged Thre

Coaching and Turnovers were the keys to loss according to this writer:

Packers report card

By Brad Zimanek
Gannett Wisconsin Newspapers

Rushing offense – B

On his first two carries, rookie DeShawn Wynn gained 59 yards, including a 44-yarder – the longest run by a Packer this season. Those 59 yards were better than the team’s rushing total in three games this year. Heading into the game, Green Bay’s 217 rushing yards were the lowest ever by a 4-0 team. The Packers busted out with a season best 121 yards. It appears they’ve made a dramatic change for the better.

Rushing defense – A-

Cedric Benson never saw much daylight and he took a pounding grinding out what he could (64 yards on 27 carries). His 10-yard touchdown run in the second quarter was the first the Packers defense had allowed this season. The Bears ended the game with only 82 yards on 33 attempts – an average of just 2.5 yards per carry.

Passing offense – A-

Brett Favre continued his incredible play by completing almost 75 percent of his passes for 322 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions – one, however, that completely changed the momentum of the game in the third quarter. Twice, cornerback Charles Tillman derailed the Packers by stripping the ball after completions to James Jones inside Chicago territory.

Passing defense – B-

The Packers’ cornerback duo of Al Harris and Charles Woodson rendered Chicago receivers Bernard Berrian and Muhsin Muhammad useless. The two combined for two catches for 27 yards. Defensive tackle Johnny Jolly batted down another pass at the line of scrimmage. But most damaging play was a Brian Griese’s 34-yard touchdown pass to tight end Desmond Clark with 2:05 left that cost the Packers the game.

Special teams – C+

Devin Hester didn’t score. That’s saying something. The NFL’s best returner didn’t get an attempt because of pooch kickoffs and they held him to an average of 10 yards on four punt returns. Corey Williams’ 5-yard penalty for his lining up his helmet over center on Robbie Gould’s field-goal attempt cost the Packers four points. Tramon Williams set up a Packers field goal with a 65-yard third-quarter kickoff return.

Coaching – C-

Mike McCarthy made a commitment to the ground game – well, the biggest commitment to date anyway – and it paid off. The Packers’ broke the 100-yard barrier as a team for the first time this season. McCarthy failed miserably by inexplicably pulling in the reins on the offense’s play-calling after Favre’s first interception, failing to throw to his wide receivers until the last-ditch effort to tie the score at the end.

Overall – C

Turnovers are the great equalizers. Two first-half fumbles by Jones, Favre’s first interception and Charles Woodson’s fumbled punt proved to be the difference when the Packers dominated every statistical category. The Packers (4-1) are in first place and head into a key NFC battle next week against Washington (3-1) that not many people throughout out the league predicted at the start the season.

packman31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Turnovers

As well as the packers played the first half last night it all came down to 4 turnovers. That was points off the board, the score should of been 21-0 at the half. Hopefully they learned from that, also the second half play calling was like they were trying to hold on to a win instead of throwing like they did the first half and moving up and down the field.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Turnovers

The second half was also terrible in the turnover department giving away 10 more critical points.

Turnovers cost us this game - not the refs, not the coaching, not the lack or reliance on a running game. It was the terrible turnovers.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers will be doing drills this week on protecting the ball.

Packers shot themselves over and over.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO the game changed with the two strips on Jones and the interception on Brett. Then it seemed like we went to the run game which I didnt understand because it never worked for us before, you have to stick with what your winning the game with and thats put the ball in Bretts hands. You cannot win games with turnovers and penalties. But for sure there was some bad play calling in the second half.

Also I noticed Brett was calling for a time out before the field goal, that would have stopped the penalty, he saw it. If I was MM I would listen alittle more to Brett.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score

LindyInfante said:
musccy said:
lindy...but it never should have come down to the wire...the packers shooting themselves was the only reason they weren't up about 20 from the first quarter on.

So your saying the Bears ints and forced fumbles were all our fault and not just the result of good defensive play by the Teddy's? I know none of us like to admit that we lost to the better team tonight, but in the aspect of the Bears not getting the penalties doubled by their conservative play effort they were the better team tonight. Look, we fix these areas and it's our win. I'm not saying the Bears are a better team, look at our record vs theirs. I guess I'm just saying they were the better "mistake free" team tonight and their defense came up with the turnovers that ours couldn't. We're still 4-1 and own this division and most of the NFC.

Brett's INT is definitely on him and not to Urlacher's credit. Jones 2nd fumble was a great play by Tillman, I don't really remember what happened on the first on.

I don't think it's as much how the turnovers happened, but rather that they happened at all. Turnovers are killers, especially against the Bears.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i also wanted to throw in that all those penalties (manyof them questionable) didn't help either. Also, that replay where they moved the ball back half an inch was ******** too. That ball should have been placed a good foot back, instead of moving it back half an inch. O, it was an ugly game

TexasPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fumbles, Penalties and MM trying to hold on to the win in the 2nd half instead of trying to move the ball like we were in the 1st half.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All of the Above anyone?

James Jones played poorly for the first time in his career.

Favre made one mistake all game long and it basically gave the Bears 7 points.

McCarthy coached a poor game. One of the worse of his career.

Woodson fumbles the ball. The reason why he's returning for us is he is good at taking care of it.

PENALTIES

The Packers play like this and they'll lose to any team in the league. Rams, Bills, Jets, and Dolphins. Yet they still almost beat the Bears. Packers beat the Packers in this game.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All of the Above anyone?

Woodson fumbles the ball. The reason why he's returning for us is he is good at taking care of it.

James Jones will be targeted by nfl teams for the rest of his career for what he did (didn't do...) sunday night

Somewhere between McCarthy and Favre there was a mental block. Why would you call a roll out for Favre, I'd throw it to Urlacher too I;d have no clue what the hell to do rolling out like that...that was a busted play. And the other plays from that quarter, a roll out which Favre underhanded out of bounds, and the underhanded shovel pass--made NO sense

all second half, until the final drive, we stopped throwing to our recievers

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

porky88 said:
All of the Above anyone?

James Jones will be targeted by nfl teams for the rest of his career for what he did (didn't do...) sunday night

Somewhere between McCarthy and Favre there was a mental block. Why would you call a roll out for Favre, I'd throw it to Urlacher too I;d have no clue what the hell to do rolling out like that...that was a busted play. And the other plays from that quarter, a roll out which Favre underhanded out of bounds, and the underhanded shovel pass--made NO sense

Steven Jackson had two fumbles in one game this year. Should the Rams regret drafting him?

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 1st Jones fumble and the 1st Favre initerception were the real backbreakers, due to the momentum swing, location on the field, etc.

The 2nd Jones fumble was a very good play by the defense, and while not excusible, at least understandable. The 2nd Favre interception was a play that had to be attempted given the time and circumstances. The Woodson fumble also hurt, but the other two turnovers were really the killers.

I hate to question playcalling, because we have no idea of matchups and gameplan. We also were operating with limited resources, as Jennings was out for a period and Jones was down and out from his 1st half exploits. I am sure Chicago recognized these weaknesses and made it almost impossible to hit Driver, leaving our offense with few options other than dump off passes and the hope of a run game.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score

HatestheEagles084 said:
porky88 said:
All of the Above anyone?

Steven Jackson had two fumbles in one game this year. Should the Rams regret drafting him?

do i mention that in this post

then take it to the other thread

MontanaBob

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Unless I'm mistaken, the Packers lost because at the end of regulation play the Bears had 27 points and the Packers had 20. Usually the team with the most points wins. :shock:

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Drafting James Jones

A reciever with no hands at all would've meant the Packers still had the ball in chicago territory

you cant place the blame on one guy. the team didnt get it done. James Jones will bounce back and so will the Packers. had to lose sometime, just sucks it was the bears.

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take away any of the 4 TOs and we probably win. We were in Bears territory on both of the Jones fumbles and the Bears were not stopping us. If Favre doesn't hand the ball to Urlacher, I doubt they score a TD after we punt (unike the short field Brett gave them). If Woodsen doesn't fumble, they don't get the tying FG and we would have had the ball with good field position.

The penalties hurt, as did the 8 runs to just 2 passes in the 3rd vs a Bear D stacked against the run, but the turnovers made the difference. There's just no way that Bears offense goes the length of the field 3-4 times and wins without all the turnovers GB gave them.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All of the Above anyone?

PENALTIES

The Packers play like this and they'll lose to any team in the league. Rams, Bills, Jets, and Dolphins. Yet they still almost beat the Bears. Packers beat the Packers in this game.

I agree with everything other than MM. He saw cover two with seven in the box and they should have been able to run it better than they did. He said he was extremely disappointed with the run offense in the second half as I think he saw the run opportunity there.

As a coach you call what the other team gives you. From there it's up to the players to get it done. I think there was a letdown in intensity and focus out there and execution never got back on track.

He would have been wrong to go against the front he saw and try to force the passing game when they were giving us the run. We just simply didn't perform.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all of the above but the 4 turnovers really killed us. We still almost won after giving up 4 turnovers that says something postive but if we would have eliminated them we would have won easily

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think the things we did in the last 2 min of the game we could have done all game long.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not to start a fight here, but how can you "target" a guy who gets the ball stripped? That's like saying teams are going to target Brett for the rest of his career cause he threw two picks- it's just something that every team tries to do to every player. I don't think that you could neccessarily 'target' a guy to strip the ball. I'd honestly be surprised of Jones gives it up like that again all year.

That was because Jones had been benched due to his fumbles, and Jennings was visiting the nurse.

That and the Bears were in a full-on two-deep for every single snap. The Bears two-deep is pretty danged close to impossible for anyone to pass against, even Brett.

EDIT: ....and I voted turnovers. Four turnovers alone(two in our own end I believe) is easily a recipe for a loss, with or without bad playcalling, poor penalties, etc.

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
All of the Above anyone?

PENALTIES

I agree with everything other than MM. He saw cover two with seven in the box and they should have been able to run it better than they did. He said he was extremely disappointed with the run offense in the second half as I think he saw the run opportunity there.

As a coach you call what the other team gives you. From there it's up to the players to get it done. I think there was a letdown in intensity and focus out there and execution never got back on track.

He would have been wrong to go against the front he saw and try to force the passing game when they were giving us the run. We just simply didn't perform.

The cover 2 has holes. You can throw into a cover 2 all day. In fact it is a rather vanilla defense. Find a pocket and sit down. The Bears didn't change thier gameplan at half-time. McCarthy changed his. I'm not sure what game you were watching. McCarthy got away from what he was doing, and it had ZERO to do with what the Bears were doing on Defense.

This one is all on MM. He let his players and his emotions take over and the team fed off of it.

Members online

Latest posts