1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

What type of RB do we need in Green Bay?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by rodell330, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +369
    A better question. Is a better running game imperative for us?

Last five SB champions ranked 24.8 in yards per carry. 2 of last five champs = 32nd

2. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,452
    Imperative? No.

Does it help? Definitely.

Anyone who wins without a running game is depending heavily on a passing game, defense, or both...and vice versa. The world knows that we don't have a dominant defense so Green Bay is really relying on a spectacular passing game to get to a championship. Every team wants all three (four if you count special teams) to be great but as Vince said, you've got to strive for perfection and hope to catch greatness along the way.

3. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,452
    YEAH I'm callin' you out!

Good response

4. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,372
    I prefer to think of it in qualitative terms. An effective running game should bring the safeties up a step or two and help open up the back end. Then there's the meat and potatoes: short yardage, red zone, burn clock in the 4th. quarter with a lead...that doesn't necessarily translate to yards per carry. Lacy fits the profile.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    McCarthy got tired of that two deep zone with no way to combat it. A running game will not allow defenses to play us as they have since 2010.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,012
    It's still the o-line that's the biggest question. We'll see if the coaches have finally figured out who should play and what position they should play. TT has drafted 17 offensive linemen, signed a bunch more undrafted linemen and a few free agents, but the single offensive line coach MM depends on hasn't been able to turn them into a dominating unit. Maybe that will all change, but I'm not real optimistic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,012
    [​IMG]If this is truly Eddie Lacy, I'd say he's not ready to be the man.

8. fanindaup

fanindaup Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +60
  9. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
  10. Southpaw

Southpaw Endorphin Junkie

Ratings:
    +422
    I think it should be and kinda now needs to be a power back who can pick up the tough yards. There is something about being a cold weather team and a big strong back blasting over a LB and picking up tough yards.

Now that our line is continuing to wear thin, I think we need a guy who can power forward and pick up 4+ without above adequate blocking from the offensive line. Hopefully Lacy can be that guy.

Plus that we have a passing offense that is very finesse a power run game would provide a great balance.