What TT Gets Right and Wrong about FA

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
was brady the quarterback last week? do you think having the #1 WR out with concussion from a cheap shot and all your starting RB's hurt was good for the Steelers? They were fortunate to get them in the shape they got them in. It would have been nice to play them last week, I'm betting GB would have advanced too.

and even if they win the Superbowl, they still haven't done anything MM, TT and the GB packers haven't done and they look to be in a lot worse shape going forward regardless of how they finish. Yet so many are just waiting to say "I told you so" and what MM and TT gone.

My contention was never that FA is foolish. My contention is that it can leave you high and dry without the promise of anything. My contention is there are a lot of ways to build a good team, none of which don't come along with their own set of pro's and con's. About every big name that was mentioned repeatedly for Denver in yesterday's game, is a FA at the end of the year and nothing but an extremely expensive and completely spent QB on the roster.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Just look at the Patriots. They use the draft and FA both. They don't minimize either aspect like some teams do. They are always bringing in veteran FA's to fill holes on that team.
So true. But at the same time entering FA as heavily as the Patriots due posed a problem for them this year. They had to release both Brandon Browner and Revis, thus Manning was able to exploit their young and inexperienced secondary yesterday. But for the Packers to never make a play in the FA pool is frusterating. I love the draft and develop model, but it is also nice to have guys on the team you know will make an immediate impact. Peppers and Woodson were huge successes.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM might be one of the worst coaches in the NFL and should never have been a HC this long. This whole team is a joke. Capers never getting fired either is the biggest joke.

Everyone needs to be fired. Mike Murphy, TT, MM, Capers.

Go be a Vikings fan. :) lol!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So true. But at the same time entering FA as heavily as the Patriots due posed a problem for them this year. They had to release both Brandon Browner and Revis, thus Manning was able to exploit their young and inexperienced secondary yesterday. But for the Packers to never make a play in the FA pool is frusterating. I love the draft and develop model, but it is also nice to have guys on the team you know will make an immediate impact. Peppers and Woodson were huge successes.

White/Woodson/Peppers/Pickett/Guion all great FA acquisitions from other teams. All of our re-signings from our own are great FA acquisitions as well. ILB, TE and OL....those are in my opinion the 3 largest needs. I'd love to see solid competitor in one of the 3 brought in for atleast one of these spots. I don't need the "waste of money" FA, give me a smart solid investment.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And lets be honest. We are an ILB and a TE stretching the field away of being back in business among the leagues elite.

EXACTLY! RR is a stud TE as a team's #2, but cannot be our #1....do that and bring in an athletic ILB and we are instantly even a bigger contender than we already are (which we are remember that folks!).

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just look at the Patriots. They use the draft and FA both. They don't minimize either aspect like some teams do. They are always bringing in veteran FA's to fill holes on that team.
maybe it's because they always have holes on the team? there are a lot of ways to build a team. None of them are easy. Success is difficult. Sustained success is even more so. There are a million variables to every season. We had a disappointing season, but I think we're in as good of position as anybody to be right back in the mix next season.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
White/Woodson/Peppers/Pickett/Guion all great FA acquisitions from other teams. All of our re-signings from our own are great FA acquisitions as well. ILB, TE and OL....those are in my opinion the 3 largest needs. I'd love to see solid competitor in one of the 3 brought in for atleast one of these spots. I don't need the "waste of money" FA, give me a smart solid investment.
Danny Trevethan most likely will not get re-signed by Denver as Von Miller made his case last night. I think he would be a great addition to the Packers defense. Still young and very athletic.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Danny Trevethan most likely will not get re-signed by Denver as Von Miller made his case last night. I think he would be a great addition to the Packers defense. Still young and very athletic.

For the right price, he is worth a look for sure. Again, investment must have good return...also depends who we resign as well internally.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's a name I've heard a lot, but I also saw him trailing RB's out of the backfield and not in any position to make a play in the passing game too. Is that better than what we have? He was closer, i'll give him that :) but closer is still miles away if you can't make a play on the ball.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
We can only hope that TT will be keeping a close eye on both Trevethan and Marshall. However, word out of Chicago is, their former coach John Fox is as well. Sadly for the Packers, the two teams making the SB this year are extremely strong at the Line Backer position and I think this will put a premium on the position for all teams come Free Agency. But come on Ted......let a few moths out, open that purse and fill the glaring hole you couldn't fill in the draft last year with Ryan.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
everyone can see we need better ILB play, but last year wasn't exactly a strong FA class was it? The guy we heard over and over and over never played a down this year for anybody. So we can *****, and now use hindsight to say, hey, he would have been pretty good yet i've seen nobody show me their post from last March and say "this is who we need"

I was hoping for an Owen Daniels signing, but then I thought we had plenty of passing targets on offense so I wasn't real surprised when we didn't get him. I also didn't think it would matter much at the time. :)

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now I understand, so pardon my first two paragraphs. I didn't read it that way.

was brady the quarterback last week? do you think having the #1 WR out with concussion from a cheap shot and all your starting RB's hurt was good for the Steelers? They were fortunate to get them in the shape they got them in. It would have been nice to play them last week, I'm betting GB would have advanced too. I then take back my first two paragraphs. I just didn't read it that way.

and even if they win the Superbowl, they still haven't done anything MM, TT and the GB packers haven't done agree, but you played the 'what if' card, and that's what I responded to and they look to be in a lot worse shape going forward regardless of how they finish. IF it results in a down-decade, maybe. Nobody can tell Yet so many are just waiting to say "I told you so" and what MM and TT gone. I, personally, just want a GM, HC, staff, and players that can combine for the title. A GM can only provide players to whatever coach he's selected, the coach can only work with what he's got, the players have to live up to their abilities, etc. I don't think there's a magic bullet, but I do fall back on the definition of insanity, and it appears we're doing the same thing over and over and expecting different (better) results.

My contention was never that FA is foolish. I agree - if I said that you said that, my apologies. My contention is that it can leave you high and dry without the promise of anything. "can", sure. If done correctly, probably not. We won't know about the Broncos for a few years. My contention is there are a lot of ways to build a good team, none of which don't come along with their own set of pro's and con's. Absolutely concur. I just didn't read you that way. About every big name that was mentioned repeatedly for Denver in yesterday's game, is a FA at the end of the year and nothing but an extremely expensive and completely spent QB on the roster. Can't address who they'll lose since, outside of Von Miller, I'm unfamiliar with their players. Manning, however, depending upon the SB, may well retire. If he doesn't they appear to have an adequate QB already on hand, and cutting Peyton is just a $2.5 mil cap hit. Obviously, going forward, their GM needs to earn his keep.

Claymaker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps Thompson should leak a story that he's "fed up" with McCarthy's choke jobs in the playoffs year after year.

Let's face it, the Packers had the best team in the NFL in 2014. Only McCarthy's "coaching not to lose" philosophy kept the Packers from winning the Super Bowl.

This year they managed to lose to an overrated Cardinals team, a team that had their off-season bags packed late in the 1st quarter yesterday.

That being said I do think TT has blown it by not signing some decent free agents the past few years. I'd love to see them sign either one of the San Diego TE. If they could combine one of those guys with a decent linebacker that would be quite an offseason.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well I barely make sense when I type because my fat fingers can't keep up with my amazingly fast brain, so I won't hold it against you

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Click bait articles. I don't buy this.
McGinn citing multiple sources tells me there's something to it. If McCarthy is pissed at Thompson for not acquiring veteran talent I hope he communicates that forcefully to Thompson and I hope it makes a difference. BTW PackerfaninCarolina, I wouldn’t use the acquisition of Jeff Saturday as a good example of the use of free agency: Saturday wasn’t good and ended up being replaced, unable to complete even one season with the Packers. And sschind, how was the signing of Peppers not a big splash signing? Or are you just relating that Vic didn’t think it was?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We can only hope that TT will be keeping a close eye on both Trevethan and Marshall. However, word out of Chicago is, their former coach John Fox is as well. Sadly for the Packers, the two teams making the SB this year are extremely strong at the Line Backer position and I think this will put a premium on the position for all teams come Free Agency. But come on Ted......let a few moths out, open that purse and fill the glaring hole you couldn't fill in the draft last year with Ryan.

I concur in that we need a solid athletic side to side ILB...Ryan though excels well at what he does and I don't see him as a lost pick up especially at the spot we grabbed him (I know you didn't say as much either). Barrington coming back strengthens us even more so than this year in run packages. It is that athletic coverage style linebacker that still isn't afraid of contact we lack. Find that and this defense quickly becomes elite in my opinion possibly.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ladarius Green would be a great signing though and without great numbers probably would be reasonably priced with the upside to outplay his contract.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gates is old and extremely injury prone.
If he was like a Peppers or like TG was in terms of overall health at that age, I'd be very interested. As it stands, he's not going to heal any better or any faster and it's almost a given that he'll be battling some chronic injury again. What used to be playing thru pain might equal time on the bench at his age. Interesting, but a huge risk if you ask me with limited upside at this point.

Claymaker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gates is old and extremely injury prone.

Define injury prone. To me, injured means you can't play. Sure, he's always banged up but he always plays. He missed one game this year. 2 last year. 1 game in 2012 and 1 game in 2013. He's 35 now but can still play. A 2 year deal would be worth the risk.

I'd probably rather have Green, but given the way he played this year and his age he'd probably command a fairly big contract.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Define injury prone. To me, injured means you can't play. Sure, he's always banged up but he always plays. He missed one game this year. 2 last year. 1 game in 2012 and 1 game in 2013. He's 35 now but can still play. A 2 year deal would be worth the risk.

I'd probably rather have Green, but given the way he played this year and his age he'd probably command a fairly big contract.
Woah, I thought he missed way more games than that (I forgot about his suspension).

But we can both agree that he's always banged up. I just don't think he's worth it. I want Hunter Henry.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woah, I thought he missed way more games than that (I forgot about his suspension).

But we can both agree that he's always banged up. I just don't think he's worth it. I want Hunter Henry.

Will he be there for us at our pick? I don't want to trade up unless it is a bang player like Mathews like TT did that year...not saying I'm against moving up, but when we do it better be a sure pick like they felt with Clay.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all know MM and TT discuss things behind closed doors. I'm sure TT knows how this year went and how we could have used more depth-cushion at certain positions. I just hope that TT realizes that Rodgers is still in his prime and we are wasting his best years right now and how NOW is the time to load up and go and get this franchise another Super Bowl or two. We are more than capable.

I also want to see us aggressive in the draft. Trade up and get the players that MM and TT covet. Don't just wait and settle. Go get it.

If there ever were a year to trade up into the top portion or middle of the first round, this is the year to do it.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all know MM and TT discuss things behind closed doors. I'm sure TT knows how this year went and how we could have used more depth-cushion at certain positions. I just hope that TT realizes that Rodgers is still in his prime and we are wasting his best years right now and how NOW is the time to load up and go and get this franchise another Super Bowl or two. We are more than capable.

I also want to see us aggressive in the draft. Trade up and get the players that MM and TT covet. Don't just wait and settle. Go get it.

If there ever were a year to trade up into the top portion or middle of the first round, this is the year to do it.

I agree...we are two big swings (either FA or draft) away from in my opinion having no excuse for not dancing on the chance of a SB...shoot we very well could be with the team we have now. We get a #1 TE and a true athletic ILB to me no matter how that is accomplished (so long as smart...haha) the offseason will be a HUGE win. So even if TT and company trade us out of nearly all our picks, if they get us those two things (and a OL depth/comp) man watch out!

Members online

Latest posts