What TT Gets Right and Wrong about FA

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you read Vic a little closer I think you will find that he thinks TT's approach to FA is spot on. He hates the big splash signings and loves the Peppers and Guion type signings. Vic thinks TT has the perfect approach to roster building. Vic is a Steeler fan getting paid to say what he should say about the by the Packers. He will be slightly critical on occasion but he is always quick to avoid controversy if he will be in any way seen to portray the Packers in a negative manner. Strange as it sounds I agree with him on a lot of things but I am not a big fan.

As far as Mike and Ted go if Mike is truly "fed up" as some anonymous source wants us to believe he should have the balls to say something to Ted. Who knows, maybe he has. The thing is lets say Ted goes out of character and signs the top rated ILB in free agency this year and maybe a big name LT. Mike will say "I didn't tell Ted to sign those guys" and Ted will say "Mike didn't tell me to sign those guys" but all the fans and all the media will say "Mike told Ted to sign those guys"

I think Mike is frustrated by the way the season went and I think he would love to have superstars at every position but I think he knows its not possible. I also think he is smart enough to know the difference between saying something like "we need better play from our middle linebackers" and "Ted should bring in some better middle linebackers"

Sky King

Reaction score
We may never know who the leak was regarding an alleged strained relationship developing between Thompson and McCarthy. But my hunch would be that it may be one of the two recently dismissed coaches. It's too coincidental.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that he's referring to the Kaepernick years, in which the 49ers catapulted to the top of the league and then did a Triple Lindy right back to the bottom.

I don't know, the triple lindy was a pretty cool dive. The 49ers fall was more akin to a cannonball or a belly flop.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the best way to have success over an extended period is to use all ways available to acquire talent and the Patriots are the prime example for it. It allcomes down to bringing in the right players no matter if a team decides to use the draft, free agency or trades to do it. Ignoring two options to improve your team doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

It is certainly hard to argue against the Patriots way of doing things (this is where all the cheater cries will come in and I will happily ignore you) ) Even though they lost today I'm guessing they will still be the odds on favorite to represent the AFC in the SB next year and you would be hard pressed to argue against it.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To play some slight devil's advocate here. Denver in the offseason went out and signed DeMarcus Ware and Aqib Talib for big bucks. These 2 high-priced blue-chippers made an otherwise very good defense into the #1 defense in the NFL. It's the sort of thing that would give Ted Thompson an instant heart attack. Broncos are now going to the SB.

So the conventional wisdom (around here at least) that signing high priced FAs is too risky fails in this case. By contrast, the huge contract for Mario Williams in Buffalo has probably not been worth it.

TBH maybe signing one of the top flight FAs, a real impact player, might be what the Packers need. The list of big impact FAs for the Packers could be:

1. Von Miller -- after what he did on Sunday, Broncos would be crazy not to re-sign him.
2. Muhammed Wilkerson, DE. Guy is a beast.
3. Cordy Glenn, OT. No more tackle problems.
4. Malik Jackson, DT. BJ who?
5. Antonio Gates, TE. The TE the Packers have missed since Finley. Is he worth going after at age 35?

Second shelf impact players.
1. Tamba Hali, OLB.
2. Danny Trevathan, ILB.
3. Kelechi Osmele LT. Could cost less than Glenn.

Honorable mention:
Michael Crabtree. Won't cost as much as Alshon Jeffrey, is 28 years old, and had a very good year with the Raiders. He'd be great opposite of Jordy.

My prediction is that TT will sign 0 of these guys. And I think that's a shame, because I think any one of the could provide a critical piece for a team that has talent but not enough compared with some other teams IMO.

Some of these guys I'm sure will re-sign with their teams.

OK back to reality. Someone be sure and pull Ted away from East-West Shrine game re-runs in time for FA season.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To play some slight devil's advocate here. Denver in the offseason went out and signed DeMarcus Ware and Aqib Talib for big bucks. These 2 high-priced blue-chippers made an otherwise very good defense into the #1 defense in the NFL. It's the sort of thing that would give Ted Thompson an instant heart attack. Broncos are now going to the SB.

So the conventional wisdom (around here at least) that signing high priced FAs is too risky fails in this case. By contrast, the huge contract for Mario Williams in Buffalo has probably not been worth it.

TBH maybe signing one of the top flight FAs, a real impact player, might be what the Packers need. The list of big impact FAs for the Packers could be:

1. Von Miller -- after what he did on Sunday, Broncos would be crazy not to re-sign him.
2. Muhammed Wilkerson, DE. Guy is a beast.
3. Cordy Glenn, OT. No more tackle problems.
4. Malik Jackson, DT. BJ who?
5. Antonio Gates, TE. The TE the Packers have missed since Finley. Is he worth going after at age 35?

Second shelf impact players.
1. Tamba Hali, OLB.
2. Danny Trevathan, ILB.
3. Kelechi Osmele LT. Could cost less than Glenn.

Honorable mention:
Michael Crabtree. Won't cost as much as Alshon Jeffrey, is 28 years old, and had a very good year with the Raiders. He'd be great opposite of Jordy.

My prediction is that TT will sign 0 of these guys. And I think that's a shame, because I think any one of the could provide a critical piece for a team that has talent but not enough compared with some other teams IMO.

Some of these guys I'm sure will re-sign with their teams.

OK back to reality. Someone be sure and pull Ted away from East-West Shrine game re-runs in time for FA season.
That defense looked unstoppable yesterday, which is a good thing for them. But just last week, I feel confident in saying that Denver would have been bounced by a Healthy QB, at least one of their starting RB's and the #1 WR in the league available for the Steelers. Would we still be talking about how great their FA pickups were if they were 1 and done and looking at all those big name URFA's hitting the market and no quarterback on the roster other than Manning who definitely hurts in the short and long term more than he helps going into next year? and if they do win it this year and don't for another 10, how is that any different than what GB has already done?

I'm sure we'll sign some FA's from other teams when the price is right and the need is there. Otherwise i'm sure we won't. We faltered this year because of offense and i'm pretty sure I saw next to zero posts last offseason about we need this FA and that FA for our offense.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He could be just planting some seeds.
I'm sure he's had conversations with Ted about what he sees this team needing and wanting. I think his comments to the media were just answers with some frustration tossed in. I doubt there's some huge divide growing between coach and GM. I think a little conflict is good. I think a little is good at all levels because everyone has a slightly different job, there should be a little conflict. I'm confident we have the players and coaches and GM to handle it all like professionals.

Sky King

Reaction score
The SB champion is the team that will have made all the "right" moves. It's the difference between being a winner and being THE winner.

Two anticipated topics for future discussion depending upon the outcome of the SB:

If the Broncos win it is because they participated enthusiastically in free agency. TT gets fricasseed.

If the Panthers win it is because their coach adjusted his offensive play calling to bring out the best talents of his somewhat pedestrian receiving group, not trying to force them into being something they're not. MM gets fricasseed.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
either way, everyone will have all the answers as to what is wrong with GB to keep them satisfied for another year :)

Jz3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM might be one of the worst coaches in the NFL and should never have been a HC this long. This whole team is a joke. Capers never getting fired either is the biggest joke.

Everyone needs to be fired. Mike Murphy, TT, MM, Capers.

Jz3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doesn't matter now since Rodgers window is closing and they throw all his good years away.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion, you build through the draft and fill holes via FA.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Click bait articles. I don't buy this.

Click bait articles are links from disreputable websites. The website that I linked is a respected legit website that always carries Packer news. Hell, the site is a part of CBS, LOL. Not saying these rumors are true or not, but its far from click bait.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That defense looked unstoppable yesterday, which is a good thing for them. But just last week, I feel confident in saying that Denver would have been bounced by a Healthy QB, at least one of their starting RB's and the #1 WR in the league available for the Steelers. Would we still be talking about how great their FA pickups were if they were 1 and done and looking at all those big name URFA's hitting the market and no quarterback on the roster other than Manning who definitely hurts in the short and long term more than he helps going into next year? and if they do win it this year and don't for another 10, how is that any different than what GB has already done?

I'm sure we'll sign some FA's from other teams when the price is right and the need is there. Otherwise i'm sure we won't. We faltered this year because of offense and i'm pretty sure I saw next to zero posts last offseason about we need this FA and that FA for our offense.

Don't quite understand the healthy quarterback comment - was Brady not healthy, were you wrong, or did you change your mind during the week?

Don't understand the next part at all (but it IS Monday morning :)). I'm missing the point about the RB and WR and Steelers. Please elaborate.

Sure, we'd be talking about their FA pickups if they were one-and-done, but it'd be from the standpoint of how foolish it is to play the FA game (and it'd be different folks talking). The point is that they AREN'T one-and-done, they're heading to the SB.

If they win this year and don't for a decade, there arecould be a couple of differences between them and the Pack. They'll not have won for a decade, he Pack for 15 years. If Osswiler (sp?) turns in Rodgers, so they have back-to-back HOFers at QB, they'll be open to the same sort of criticism the Pack gets now.

Don't argue with the thought that nobody should have been clamoring for offensive help last off-season. I think the FA point is that last year was the anomaly - previously, the D is what let the team down, and a few plug-and-play pieces might have produced the "all we need is an average" defense to all the Rodgers-led offense to the Lombardi.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
MM might be one of the worst coaches in the NFL and should never have been a HC this long. This whole team is a joke. Capers never getting fired either is the biggest joke.

Everyone needs to be fired. Mike Murphy, TT, MM, Capers.

It's "Mark Murphy". So you are the owner and you fire the whole sorry bunch. What is your next move? Tell me the guys you replace them with.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And lets be honest. We are an ILB and a TE stretching the field away of being back in business among the leagues elite.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And a fully-recovered Jordy, and a bunch of untested WRs coming through, and whatever was wrong with AR going away, perhaps a little something with the OL.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
And lets be honest. We are an ILB and a TE stretching the field away of being back in business among the leagues elite.

Totally agree and all it took was watching yesterdays games to prove that. Denver and Carolina have probably some of the best linebackers in the league and their Defenses man handled two pretty decent offenses. People were complaining about Aaron Rodgers choking under pressure and saying he needs to be more like Tom Brady. You mean the Tom Brady that played yesterday?

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yesterday also proved that defense still wins Championships. Denver and Carolina have the best two D's in the NFL. So whoever wins the Super Bowl, will have a elite defense. Both defenses have depth. Can cover on the back end and rush the passer.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just look at the Patriots. They use the draft and FA both. They don't minimize either aspect like some teams do. They are always bringing in veteran FA's to fill holes on that team.

Latest posts