What To Make Of Our WR No-Shows

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So the *big* news is that none of our top WRs showed up for OTA's. The NFLPA has strongly urged players to stay away, but most of the Packers were in attendance. I doubt that is the main cause of the WR group's absence. Which leads to the question - are they standing out to show solidarity with Rodgers?

Normally I don't care about all of this stuff, but once it turns from one disgruntled player into multiple players....you have a problem to deal with. I'm not saying that it is a problem yet, but the arrow is starting to point in that direction.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they are that far apart and this is how it is, then I guess we have a really big problem with no easy answer. In terms of long term outlooks, I'd get rid of all of them then. Start over. Sure we'll win more games giving in as long as AR stays healthy and will be screwed financially when he's gone for a bit.

But here's the thing, he's been good, really good for a while. He's also had opportunity in big moments to be great and he hasn't been. He's been good for sure, he was "better" than Brady. But when Tampa needed to get a first down to keep GB's comeback hopes on the sideline, he converts on a nice little pass to Gronk. Rodgers didn't at the goal line and didn't on 2 other opportunities after turnovers.

So, do I turn the entire team over to the QB? because that's what they'd be doing. Whenever there is something between the coach and player, player wins? That's a recipe for nothing in every sport and industry.

I"d start with Funchess. Later. Then give it a day or 2, Then EQ, then MVS or Lazard. right down to trading off Adams if need be.

I'm not doing it for OTA's, well maybe Funchess. But if they aren't showing up in camp, I don't care how good you are, inmates wouldn't run my asylum. How do you coach when you're always feeling second guessed and when a big group is following some other guy?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly while it caught my attention it isn't crazy. All of them in contract years and skill position guys are the main folks to suffer non-contact injuries given their cutting and directional outputs in practices.

Nearly all of them are in contract years and could be a consideration to them to wait and continue training on own until mandatory stuff starts.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
We do not know why they are not at OTA's. It very well could be that they are just listening to the NFLPA. I know some players do not like to have to travel away from their home during the offseason and a fine isn't that big of a deal to them. I'm not worried about them not being in shape and a game has never been won at an OTA. I think it is a lot to do about nothing. Offseason chatter as they say.

This is an odd take.
I"d start with Funchess. Later. Then give it a day or 2, Then EQ, then MVS or Lazard. right down to trading off Adams if need be.

I'm not doing it for OTA's, well maybe Funchess. But if they aren't showing up in camp, I don't care how good you are, inmates wouldn't run my asylum. How do you coach when you're always feeling second guessed and when a big group is following some other guy?

We need players to play a game and not a bunch of scrubs brought in. I don't think not showing up for OTA's is a comparison to inmates running an asylum. Guys like EQ, MVS, Funchess and Lazard don't have any leverage to speak of. Funchess has never even played with Rodgers and I can't imaging he is skipping OTA's for him. Again, odd take and much to do about nothing.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I generally agree, but the fact that all of the top WRs opted out while virtually everyone else opted in is what made me wonder. If it was a few guys here and a few guys there, then I would agree with you.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can never understand the angst about guys not showing up for voluntary workouts unless the player is losing a massive bonus by skipping. How many ppl on this board would go into work on a day off just because their boss offered them $10?

Krabs

Reaction score
I generally agree, but the fact that all of the top WRs opted out while virtually everyone else opted in is what made me wonder. If it was a few guys here and a few guys there, then I would agree with you.

Just came across this:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ten-players-not-attendance-packers-212144034.html

"Overall, 79 of the 89 players on the roster were at OTAs". So, it turns out that it is just a few players here and a few players there. Here's a question for discussion. Why was Jones, Dillon and the offensive line there? I think if there were really munity a foot then more players would have skipped and the big names wouldn't have attended at all. I could be wrong though. I have been a lot in the past.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can never understand the angst about guys not showing up for voluntary workouts unless the player is losing a massive bonus by skipping. How many ppl on this board would go into work on a day off just because their boss offered them $10?
Double my salary? Heck yeah!

Not sure what to make of it. There are several points made on both sides.

I am leaning towards we must get rid of Rodgers as his cancerous attitude may be spreading or at least bigger drain on team chemistry than most realized.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Double my salary? Heck yeah!

Not sure what to make of it. There are several points made on both sides.

I am leaning towards we must get rid of Rodgers as his cancerous attitude may be spreading or at least bigger drain on team chemistry than most realized.

That's certainly one view. I just don't think many would go to work for free on a week off and I'm not sure why they expect NFL players to be different. Seriously, if someone's boss called and said," look, I now it's your vacation week but can you come in anyway to earn no additional money and work?" I'm pretty sure most ppl are flipping off the phone and politely saying "nope".

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm, now its okay to use regular employee argument?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
F - I can't even count how many vacations I have had to cancel (some last minute) due to my job. I am salaried so I don't get an extra nickel, but I do it so that every five years when it's time to talk about a salary increase of bonus, those things are remembered.

Players do it for the same reason. They want the starting job, they want to be the best, they want a contract extension, etc...

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmmm, now its okay to use regular employee argument?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Context matters? You're asking guys to come in on vacation for no extra renumeration. Rich or poor, it's comparable. Are you trying to "GOTCHA" me with the implication that sports stars should be more willing to do extra work for free?

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just came across this:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ten-players-not-attendance-packers-212144034.html

"Overall, 79 of the 89 players on the roster were at OTAs"
From your article, five of them were the WRs, one was Rodgers, and one was Bahktiari who is recovering from a torn knee. So that leaves three players from the entire team (Jaire Alexander, Ka’dar Hollman and Stanford Samuels) who missed for whatever reason and then the WR group. I would say that it is HIGHLY unusual that pretty much the whole team is there yet all of the best players from a single position group are missing.

Krabs

Reaction score
Context matters? You're asking guys to come in on vacation for no extra renumeration. Rich or poor, it's comparable. Are you trying to "GOTCHA" me with the implication that sports stars should be more willing to do extra work for free?

This is actually not true. A lot of players have incentives in their contract to attend minicamps and OTA's. For example, Rodgers lost $500K by skipping OTA's. Now, I know that's like $10 to us, but to say it is work for free isn't quite true. Lesser players that are trying to make the team are attending for free, but their incentive is showing the coaches the skills they have.

Krabs

Reaction score
From your article, five of them were the WRs, one was Rodgers, and one was Bahktiari who is recovering from a torn knee. So that leaves three players from the entire team (Jaire Alexander, Ka’dar Hollman and Stanford Samuels) who missed for whatever reason and then the WR group. I would say that it is HIGHLY unusual that pretty much the whole team is there yet all of the best players from a single position group are missing.

Again, Funchess never even attended anything last season because he opted out. How much dedication does he have to Rodgers? EQ is lucky to make the team every year and I'm sure is missing for something other than Rodgers. Now, Adams I could see skipping for Rodgers and he himself is coming up on a needed contract extension. That one is suspect. The rest I'm not sold on having anything to do with Rodgers.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

They want to win a SB, then get in all the work to help.

Do they get paid to watch tape at home? To buy wierd health things? To hire chefs, and trainers?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We do not know why they are not at OTA's. It very well could be that they are just listening to the NFLPA. I know some players do not like to have to travel away from their home during the offseason and a fine isn't that big of a deal to them. I'm not worried about them not being in shape and a game has never been won at an OTA. I think it is a lot to do about nothing. Offseason chatter as they say.

This is an odd take.

We need players to play a game and not a bunch of scrubs brought in. I don't think not showing up for OTA's is a comparison to inmates running an asylum. Guys like EQ, MVS, Funchess and Lazard don't have any leverage to speak of. Funchess has never even played with Rodgers and I can't imaging he is skipping OTA's for him. Again, odd take and much to do about nothing.
so if you would have read it, I said I wouldn't do that because of OTA's but would start if they sat out the TC part.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is actually not true. A lot of players have incentives in their contract to attend minicamps and OTA's. For example, Rodgers lost $500K by skipping OTA's. Now, I know that's like $10 to us, but to say it is work for free isn't quite true. Lesser players that are trying to make the team are attending for free, but their incentive is showing the coaches the skills they have.

Yes, I'm talking about the guys without incentives, or incentives so small it's not worth it to them. The guys with incentives get the extra renumeration I was talking about.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They want to win a SB, then get in all the work to help.

Do they get paid to watch tape at home? To buy wierd health things? To hire chefs, and trainers?

Did the team wanna win a SB? Then put workout bonuses into the contracts. Look, I'm actually with you on this, I want every player at every practice. I'm just not going to criticize guys who don't work for free. If you want to complain about someone, then complain about the contract the team gave them that didn't convince the player to show up.

TAYLORBOY

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think what some may be missing is that attending these OTA's isn't EXTRA money offered to players attending.

Actually the money for attending these OTA's is PART OF THEIR SALARY

Packers have used this as a means to get players together in off season...they feel these OTA's help generate team chemistry.

I seem to remember that 19 players have bonus money for attending OTA's written into their contracts.. Z Smith leads the team with $770,000

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Did the team wanna win a SB? Then put workout bonuses into the contracts. Look, I'm actually with you on this, I want every player at every practice. I'm just not going to criticize guys who don't work for free. If you want to complain about someone, then complain about the contract the team gave them that didn't convince the player to show up.
Teams will get away not paying if they dont have to.

A Fringe player should attend because it might make him break thru..then next contract he earns a 10 mill deal..If he didnt attend his 1st few years of ota, he doesnt break thru, and only.gets a 4 mill deal.

They should be thinking of the end result not just immediate hassle

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teams will get away not paying if they dont have to.

A Fringe player should attend because it might make him break thru..then next contract he earns a 10 mill deal..If he didnt attend his 1st few years of ota, he doesnt break thru, and only.gets a 4 mill deal.

They should be thinking of the end result not just immediate hassle

I agree with that. I'm not sure the receivers skipping OTAs in this instance are fringe guys. The WR room isn't exactly full of up-and-coming guys threatening MVS and Lazard's jobs.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully the agents of a few of these guys reached out to management about why there guy is missing. Otherwise my first instinct was, okay we heard you, you want Rodgers back, we get it, now get into camp. If day 2 is missed by Funchess, see you later bye. If EQB misses all 3 he is gone also. Again if they missed without any communication with the team. As has been posted there could be a multiple amount of reasons why they are not there.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Never want to compare pro sports to a real job, but, in your analogy, one would be going in to become better at their job, help folks in other departments (and, hence the company in its relative position), team building, et. al.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Never want to compare pro sports to a real job, but, in your analogy, one would be going in to become better at their job, help folks in other departments (and, hence the company in its relative position), team building, et. al.

Spot on. I never understood why players who just had several months "off" would want to skip team building, skill building, getting in shape practices, drills, meetings, etc.

Says something about a guy that is being paid millions of dollars a year and he doesn't want to participate in anything unless it is labeled "mandatory" or he gets paid $1000's of dollars to attend. We used to call these guys "prima donnas", not sure what they refer to them now "Smart, rich athletes"?

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts