What to make of Kregg Lumpkin

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers | Kregg Lumpkin hoping to make 53-man roster - NFL Hot off the Wire

A practice squad player from the start, Kregg Lumpkin barely got a chance to ever see the field in the regular season. While our coaching staff praises him every season, he never finds his way into the lineup. It seems that during this offseason's OTAs Lumpkin was getting significant amount of snaps with the first string offense. I really won't take anything out of OTAs and minicamp but here's my question to you guys, will Lumpkin finally crack the final 53 this year?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Tyrell Sutton couldn't make the roster last year, I have no clue what Lumpkin would have to do to make it.
Good call. Tyrell was Darren Sproles in the preseason last year and still got shafted because of his size.
I was very high on Lumpkin his rookie year, but he's done now. Has no chance to make our roster.

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who knows. Wouldn't surprise me if Starks passed Jackson in a year or two.

Starks is coming off a major collarbone injury and from the way it sounds after minicamps and OTAs he's not ready to see the field yet. He could be on the practice squad whereas Lumpkin can get some share of the carries right away. I was thinking long term in which we get Lumpkin settled into the offense so we can let Bjax go once he's a free agent in 2011. I know he's a good blocker, but after our o-line starts to get better we really won't have a need for that.

Reaction score
I like brandon jackson simply because hes a good receiving back and a good pass blocking back. They started to use him more on third downs in the second half of the season where he really helped our o line out.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe in a recent interview or something Edgar Bennett was talking about what the Packers look in a RB. He said "protecting the QB and holding onto the football". Was asked if running per se wasn't the main attribute, and he told that, yeah, it was a big deal, obviously, but that the mindset of the offense and of the team revolved on basically those two things, blocking and not fumbling.

Lumpkin has to show those traits better than the other guys to make the team. Simple as that.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Starks is coming off a major collarbone injury and from the way it sounds after minicamps and OTAs he's not ready to see the field yet. He could be on the practice squad whereas Lumpkin can get some share of the carries right away. I was thinking long term in which we get Lumpkin settled into the offense so we can let Bjax go once he's a free agent in 2011. I know he's a good blocker, but after our o-line starts to get better we really won't have a need for that.

I've been waiting for this to happen for 5 years. Hopefully this year......

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been waiting for this to happen for 5 years. Hopefully this year......

I'm not saying to get rid of the "blocking back" completely. Eventually Starks will probably learn the tricks of doing so after a couple of years on the team. I'm just saying that I don't believe the Packers will retain Bjax once he hits free agency. We could use his roster spot to add another back that can be a more viable weapon on the offense.

Members online

Latest posts