What to do with TEN picks in Day 3...

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MY DAY 3 Wish List, Rounds 4-7

• Round 4, pick 12, 109 overall : QUINTON PATTON, WR, Louisiana Tech (May have to trade one of our 6th Rd picks to move up earlier than this 12th pick, to get Patton. Would be worth it. He's rated higher than 8 WR's taken already this draft.
  • Round 4, pick 25, 122 overall : BARRETT JONES, C-G, Alabama
  • Round 5, pick 13, 146 overall : ZEKE MOTTA, S, Notre Dame
  • Round 5, pick 26, 159 overall: Trade to Arizona for their 2014 4th Rd pick
  • Round 5, pick 34, 167 overall: JOSEPH FAURIA, TE, UCLA
  • Round 6, pick 5, 173 overall: LANDRY JONES, QB, Oklahoma
  • Round 6, pick 25, 193 overall: LUKE MARQUARDT, OT, Asuza-Pacific
  • Round 7, pick 10, 216 overall: XAVIER NIXON, OT, Florida
  • Round 7, pick 18, 226 overall: STEVE BEAUHARNAIS, ILB, Rutgers
  • Round 7, pick 26, 232 overall: ALONZO HIGHSMITH Jr., OLB, Arkansas

Patton will probably come off the board right away. If the Packers want him I bet they'll have to move into the top 4 or 5.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Because TT just couldn't help himself, we now have 10 fricking picks in rounds 4-7 tomorrow. Just what this team needed. Guys to battle for the last several spots in the roster. I just don't get these moves by TT. Even if the board allowed these trades, we don't need 10 more players on this roster. We don't have the room. We need quality over quantity. So, just take a guy at the spot!
I understand this is “venting” or “ranting” but it contains some strange “logic” or assumptions. “Thompson just couldn’t help himself” implies that Thompson has a compulsion to trade down for trading down’s sake. But just last year he traded up three times. He went into that draft with 12 picks and got 8 players – and he had four comp picks he couldn’t trade. So Thompson obviously could have "helped himself".

The next assumption is picks in rounds 4-7 will battle for the last spots on the roster. Daniels, McMillian, House, Lang and Sitton. That’s a partial list of Thompson’s 4th rounders. We don’t need 10 more players? Remember how many UDFAs they signed after last year’s draft? Getting extra picks is a recognition that even with all the man hours and money spent on the draft it’s a crap shoot. And the more picks you have the better your chances of hitting on a player.

Should Thompson have taken Lacy at #55 instead of #61? Of course not, right? And if Thompson and staff determined the talent tier extended from pick #88 through #109, trading down and picking up 3 more chances on hitting on a keeper makes all kinds of sense. I am confident that if there were a player at #88 or #93 that they viewed as head and shoulders better than any other, they would have pulled the trigger on him.

Ironically (regarding BorderRivals’ post) there’s an April 20th packernews.com story titled, “For Thompson, drafting quality begins with quantity” http://www.packersnews.com/article/...For-Thompson-drafting-quality-begins-quantity
It notes since Thompson arrived the Packers have averaged two more picks per draft than the next closest division rival, the Bears. Thompson learned a baseball analogy applicable to the draft from Wolf: “… if you have more swings you have a better chance at getting a hit.”

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand this is “venting” or “ranting” but it contains some strange “logic” or assumptions. “Thompson just couldn’t help himself” implies that Thompson has a compulsion to trade down for trading down’s sake. But just last year he traded up three times. He went into that draft with 12 picks and got 8 players – and he had four comp picks he couldn’t trade. So Thompson obviously could have "helped himself".

The next assumption is picks in rounds 4-7 will battle for the last spots on the roster. Daniels, McMillian, House, Lang and Sitton. That’s a partial list of Thompson’s 4th rounders. We don’t need 10 more players? Remember how many UDFAs they signed after last year’s draft? Getting extra picks is a recognition that even with all the man hours and money spent on the draft it’s a crap shoot. And the more picks you have the better your chances of hitting on a player.

Should Thompson have taken Lacy at #55 instead of #61? Of course not, right? And if Thompson and staff determined the talent tier extended from pick #88 through #109, trading down and picking up 3 more chances on hitting on a keeper makes all kinds of sense. I am confident that if there were a player at #88 or #93 that they viewed as head and shoulders better than any other, they would have pulled the trigger on him.

Ironically (regarding BorderRivals’ post) there’s an April 20th packernews.com story titled, “For Thompson, drafting quality begins with quantity” http://www.packersnews.com/article/...For-Thompson-drafting-quality-begins-quantity
It notes since Thompson arrived the Packers have averaged two more picks per draft than the next closest division rival, the Bears. Thompson learned a baseball analogy applicable to the draft from Wolf: “… if you have more swings you have a better chance at getting a hit.”
Right again. I swear I agree with all your posts.

gbpowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the massive CM/AR contracts, it will become imperative for the Packers to always supplement the roster with younger, cheaper talent to stay competitive. The philosophy of "more swings at the plate" will become our team building philosophy. However, this has been pretty much the Packers m.o. even before the 2 big contracts.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
MY DAY 3 Wish List, Rounds 4-7

• Round 4, pick 12, 109 overall : QUINTON PATTON, WR, Louisiana Tech (May have to trade one of our 6th Rd picks to move up earlier than this 12th pick, to get Patton. Would be worth it. He's rated higher than 8 WR's taken already this draft.

• Round 4, pick 25, 122 overall : BARRETT JONES, C-G, Alabama
  • Round 5, pick 13, 146 overall : ZEKE MOTTA, S, Notre Dame
  • Round 5, pick 26, 159 overall: Trade to Arizona for their 2014 4th Rd pick
  • Round 5, pick 34, 167 overall: JOSEPH FAURIA, TE, UCLA
  • Round 6, pick 5, 173 overall: LANDRY JONES, QB, Oklahoma
  • Round 6, pick 25, 193 overall: LUKE MARQUARDT, OT, Asuza-Pacific
  • Round 7, pick 10, 216 overall: XAVIER NIXON, OT, Florida
  • Round 7, pick 18, 226 overall: STEVE BEAUHARNAIS, ILB, Rutgers
  • Round 7, pick 26, 232 overall: ALONZO HIGHSMITH Jr., OLB, Arkansas

Great List!

I'm not big on Barrett Jones though. I'd rather have Schwenke.
I'm also hoping he drafts at least one high motor nose tackle that can replace Raji in 2014.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
Am I the only one concerned about the lack of defensive picks so far other than Jones? I approve of the additions to the O-Line because that was also a need but wish we were focusing on safety and ILB. Still time obviously but I'm concerned about the D's ability to rise up against the mobile QBs and the run.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Am I the only one concerned about the lack of defensive picks so far other than Jones? I approve of the additions to the O-Line because that was also a need but wish we were focusing on safety and ILB. Still time obviously but I'm concerned about the D's ability to rise up against the mobile QBs and the run.

I would have gone more defense heavy but as always, in Ted I trust

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because TT just couldn't help himself, we now have 10 fricking picks in rounds 4-7 tomorrow. Just what this team needed. Guys to battle for the last several spots in the roster. I just don't get these moves by TT. Even if the board allowed these trades, we don't need 10 more players on this roster. We don't have the room. We need quality over quantity. So, just take a guy at the spot!
[/quote]

My take exactly. Ted has certainly had more success with third round picks.

Members online

Latest posts