What to do with Marshall Newhouse?

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the Packers minicamp just about wrapping up it seems that we have an interesting dilemma on our hands. Marshall Newhouse still hasn't found a home yet on the offensive line. The coaches want to line him up at LG but as the JSO reports, they also feel comfortable with him at LT. I know that we drafted Bulaga for the sole purpose of taking over that position but it'd be nice to give Newhouse a shot there too. He's confident that he can certainly make the transition to that position in the pros and it wouldn't surprise me if he somehow landed there. I certainly like how this is playing it. Kind of reminds of Baltimore's situation with 2 stud LT on the roster.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
Depth isn't bad, I say Cliffy is our LT this season, let Bulaga and Newhouse develop 1 season. Keep newhouse at guard for now and be reassured that if Cliffy goes down its not the end of the world :D

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can never have enough tackles and never have enough corners.

I think everyone is jumping to conclusions that Bulaga is going to be our future LT. He might only be our future RT or guard.

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And it is so nice to finally have some depth on the O-Line. I never ever want to see a type of situation like the beginning of last year again. I'm with 3irty1. Let them both develop this season. Then see where we are next year and have Bulaga and Newhouse battle it out for positions.

olwig420

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It now seems funny to me that right after the draft everyone was all upset that we did not address the needs we had to to make a SB run. Even though before this current draft we could point out that ether an upgrade or depth was needed at just about every position on the team. I just don't see us being quite ready even though we are much better is some areas right now. I think that our secondary will be OK this year simply because we improved or D-line. I could see us sitting here next year at this time with the opportunity for a SB run as long as we are able to hold onto our players like we did this off season.

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally I feel that the guy is a LG. And in my opinion that is where we need him, however I do not have any complaints of teaching him the position of LT maybe in a year or 2 when he has already learned the position of LG. It's not like we have a STRONG LG position either, I mean there is Colledge and basically nobody else. And personally I think Newhouse could beat out Daryn given the chance, especially when Daryn is content to have an attitude and not attend voluntary camps.

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the best player should get the LT spot. Then put the other guy at RT if he can handle it. Both seem like competent lineman at least, and both have experience at the tackle position. I personally don't have any issues with a pair of new young talented bookends gettin ready to take over for Clifton and Tausher.

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to agree with all of you guys on this one. It's definitely something positive when you have two or three guys that can play the LT spot if need be. Depth was certainly lacking last season and we obviously have that now. I just hope TT doesn't take that away by cutting Newhouse (reminds me too much of the Jamon Meredith pick.)

Here's some food for thought. Barbre will be listed as a LT in training camp but we all know he'll never play the part successfully. I think that we should dangle him as trade bait to another team for something, or anything for that matter. Similar to the way we traded away Tony Moll last season for a decent player in Martin. While Barbre sucks at pass blocking, his run blocking isn't so bad. This is why he should have been kept strictly as a guard. I'm sure some team that loves to run the ball (Ravens, Jets, Bills, Rams, Titans) may want to move him back to his natural RG position and give us someone decent in return.

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to agree with all of you guys on this one. It's definitely something positive when you have two or three guys that can play the LT spot if need be. Depth was certainly lacking last season and we obviously have that now. I just hope TT doesn't take that away by cutting Newhouse (reminds me too much of the Jamon Meredith pick.)

Here's some food for thought. Barbre will be listed as a LT in training camp but we all know he'll never play the part successfully. I think that we should dangle him as trade bait to another team for something, or anything for that matter. Similar to the way we traded away Tony Moll last season for a decent player in Martin. While Barbre sucks at pass blocking, his run blocking isn't so bad. This is why he should have been kept strictly as a guard. I'm sure some team that loves to run the ball (Ravens, Jets, Bills, Rams, Titans) may want to move him back to his natural RG position and give us someone decent in return.

I would love it if this happened.

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That would be the best case scenario for that to happen.

It is never bad to have depth and versitility on the O-Line, it's a great thing, and I'm glad we finally have some depth there!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think, in the final 53 man roster, the Olinemen will be Clifton, Spitz, Wells, Sitton, Tauscher, Bulaga, Colledge, Evan Dietrich-Smith, Newhouse, T.J. Lang.

Giacomini and Barbre will be cut, with the youngsters we now have...

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the Packers minicamp just about wrapping up it seems that we have an interesting dilemma on our hands. Marshall Newhouse still hasn't found a home yet on the offensive line. The coaches want to line him up at LG but as the JSO reports, they also feel comfortable with him at LT. I know that we drafted Bulaga for the sole purpose of taking over that position but it'd be nice to give Newhouse a shot there too. He's confident that he can certainly make the transition to that position in the pros and it wouldn't surprise me if he somehow landed there. I certainly like how this is playing it. Kind of reminds of Baltimore's situation with 2 stud LT on the roster.
Doesn't matter where a guy gets drafted. Who ever performes the best gets the job. Its that simple.

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly if newhouse performs better in camp and practices, he deserves to start over Bulaga no matter what their draft status was..

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doesn't matter where a guy gets drafted. Who ever performes the best gets the job. Its that simple.

Excellent point but remember that our GM is TT. I can think of two players who played admirably last season but didn't make the final cut. Anthony Smith and Jamon Meredith. Smith was the MVP of the Packers preseason and Meredith did a better job than Barbre given during the snaps he did get. However Smith didn't want to play on special teams and Meredith didn't have the mean streak to satisfy the coaches. So technically the most productive player always doesn't get the job at the end.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Excellent point but remember that our GM is TT. I can think of two players who played admirably last season but didn't make the final cut. Anthony Smith and Jamon Meredith. Smith was the MVP of the Packers preseason and Meredith did a better job than Barbre given during the snaps he did get. However Smith didn't want to play on special teams and Meredith didn't have the mean streak to satisfy the coaches. So technically the most productive player always doesn't get the job at the end.
Smith, I agree. Meredith, not so much. He didn't play well. He was beat consistantly, and was terrible in the run.

Barbre was the better RT during preseason. Rodgers had all the time in the world to throw the ball, because teams were playing vanilla...

I don't know where this Meredith thing is suddenly coming from..

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Smith, I agree. Meredith, not so much. He didn't play well. He was beat consistantly, and was terrible in the run.

Barbre was the better RT during preseason. Rodgers had all the time in the world to throw the ball, because teams were playing vanilla...

I don't know where this Meredith thing is suddenly coming from..

Well he is going to be the starting RT for the Buffalo Bills this season, while Barbre has a pretty good chance of being cut this season. Just saying.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well he is going to be the starting RT for the Buffalo Bills this season, while Barbre has a pretty good chance of being cut this season. Just saying.
LOL, the Bills have one of the worst OL in football... They were 4th last year. Yeah, I know, we were #1, but we eventually had Colledge and Barbre at RT. They didn't have to shuffle their OL. They were just terrible.

Fact is Barbre beat him in preseason... And even if he's better than Barbre, that's still not a reason to say it was a bad move releasing him.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
I think I said this earlier I'd love too see the week one starting line look like this

cliffy/ bulaga / wells(or spitz)/ newhouse/ tauchser I really think newhouse and bulaga are gonna be our next LT and RT.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts