What to do with Greg Jennings, Jermichael Finley?

What Should Packers Do With Greg Jennings, Jermichael Finley?

• Total voters

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interested to see what the consensus is with Greg Jennings and Jermichael Finley.

Now that we know Finley won't re-do his contract for less money, Packers can save $8.25M if they cut him by Mar. 27.

Jennings is an unrestricted free agent. If they use the franchise tag on him, he's projected to receive $10.36M.

The Packers already freed nearly $14 million in cap space when they released Charles Woodson and Jeff Saturday. They may want to free up more if they complete contracts for Aaron Rodgers and Clay Matthews this off-season. Don't forget about a defensive lineman (e.g. Cullen Jenkins or Chris Canty).

Keep both? Keep one or the other? Keep neither?

EDIT: Should've put trade "Release or Trade Finley" on those options.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's more than just Rodgers and Matthews, which are ENORMOUS contracts to extend. They likely will want to extend the contracts of both Sam Shields and EDS (assuming he will be our starting center). If the Packers are to sign some mid-level free agents, the current modus operandi, they'll need some of that extra money for a Canty, Francois, Jenkins, etc... Don't forget the rookie salaries as well.

OP
OP
J

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We'll I didn't know if it fit in the Greg Jennings talk thread or that other J-Mike thread since it's about both players... so I created a voting poll for it.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I voted for the neither, but I'd like to keep Finley for a cap-friendly re-structured deal. Ditto that for Jennings, although I very much doubt that would be possible given probable demand for him elsewhere.

H

HardRightEdge

So how do you renegotiate a 1 year contract when the guy won't take a pay cut?

See "Re-sign Jerdroppal Paddlehands" thread, post #20.

Or, to quote Finley from your link, "Maybe I'd restructure if it's a deal that I like and it makes sense...."

H

HardRightEdge

You should have just said you wanted to give him am extension/new contract

No...what I proposed is new deal that replaces his 2013 contract with a new multi-year deal..that's a renegotiation. Mr. Finley used the correct term in your link.

By whatever term you prefer to use, it's not an option in this poll.

OP
OP
J

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well if the reports of the front office wanting to release him after the 2012-13 season were to be believed (those came out mid-December), it's hard to see them suddenly wanting to get into a longer marriage with him.

But if he's willing to sign another contract where he gets very little guaranteed money before late March... I guess it's possible.

H

HardRightEdge

Well if the reports of the front office wanting to release him after the 2012-13 season were to be believed (those came out mid-December), it's hard to see them suddenly wanting to get into a longer marriage with him.

But if he's willing to sign another contract where he gets very little guaranteed money before late March... I guess it's possible.

Actually, a more recent rumor says TT and MM would like to keep Finley while the pro personnel team (Eliot Wolf? pro scouts?) think we should dump him.

Finley says in one breath he'd consider a renegotiation. Then, as if catching himself giving away a negotiating position, says he probably wouldn't.

Who knows. It looks like 50/50 stay or go.

H

HardRightEdge

Reports are circulating that the Packers have had ongoing contact with Jennings.

So another possibility should be left open: sign Jennings, release Finley. I doubt it will happen, but if the price is right....

Even at a sharply reduced cost for Jennings (relative to his reported asking price), Finley is not likely to be affordable.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Lock them both in Jennings' For Sale house and burn it to the ground so they never play for another team. That's the real way you fire somebody! [/Absurdity]

Members online

Latest posts