What to do with Casey Hayward?

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Casey Hayward on the outside does not look so good to me. I believe he even led the team in missed tackles last Sunday and I recall at least one blown coverage attributed to him.

If this continues, should he be moved back into slot coverage and start the rookie on the perimeter?

D

Deleted member 6794

Casey Hayward on the outside does not look so good to me. I believe he even led the team in missed tackles last Sunday and I recall at least one blown coverage attributed to him.

If this continues, should he be moved back into slot coverage and start the rookie on the perimeter?

He blew the coverage on the 32-yarder to Baldwin and didn´t make any plays in coverage vs. the Seahawks. IMO it´s still to early to make a move though as he hasn´t made any game changing mistakes either.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Hayward isn’t the player he was as a rookie but I agree it’s too early to make a determination on him playing outside. What we may see more of going forward is Randall playing outside in the nickel and dime with Hayward playing the slot. That takes care of most of the snaps. If Hayward loses his spot outside in base D I think that means he’s gone after this season (he may be anyway). Both he and Hyde’s contracts are up at the end of this season and right now IMO Hyde is more valuable: He can play safety, the slot, and return punts. To get a new deal I think Hayward has to hold down the outside job. The Packers haven’t played a team with an above average receiving corp (the Bears weren’t healthy) – we’ll find out more when they do. It’s not a coincidence the Packers have 11 DBs on the roster, 6 CBs, 4 S, and Hyde.

Edit: Hyde's contract is up at the end of the 2016 season.

Last edited:

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about resigning him. Randall has looked really good in real games and important situations. Gunter is the snake in the grass on the inactive roster but sure looked the part on the field in the pre season and Rollins has looked decent despite joining Gunter on the inactive list.

He has never looked the same to me after the injury. I don't really feel bad for him either since it was an off season basketball injury.

D

Deleted member 6794

Both he and Hyde’s contracts are up at the end of this season and right now IMO Hyde is more valuable: He can play safety, the slot, and return punts.

Hyde is under contract through the 2016 season.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Think I'm with what appears to be the common sentiment here... don't see us re-signing Casey unless he lights up the field the rest of the season. Ted's pretty comfortable trimming a little fat when money is a little thin.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's going to be interesting to watch Marcus Peters play on Monday. I was hoping he'd fall to us because I think the kid is going to be a stud. I'm just worried that we're going to have to spend more draft picks on the secondary when we really need to focus on our ILB, OT(depth), TE, and possibly DL.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It's going to be interesting to watch Marcus Peters play on Monday. I was hoping he'd fall to us because I think the kid is going to be a stud. I'm just worried that we're going to have to spend more draft picks on the secondary when we really need to focus on our ILB, OT(depth), TE, and possibly DL.
Right now, I don't DB being a draft need at all for 2016. Three rookies learning their craft. Maybe a safety draft pick in anticipation of future contract expirations. Hayward could very well find himself in roster no mans land depending on the rookie's progression this fall.

D

Deleted member 6794

I watched the Chiefs game vs. the Broncos and Peters, while giving up some completions and a TD, he made some great defensive plays as well including the pick 6. Overall an impressive performance by him.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right now, I don't DB being a draft need at all for 2016. Three rookies learning their craft. Maybe a safety draft pick in anticipation of future contract expirations. Hayward could very well find himself in roster no mans land depending on the rookie's progression this fall.

I mean if we drop Hayward and Shields keeps making mistakes, we might need to take a look at the position again.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I mean if we drop Hayward and Shields keeps making mistakes, we might need to take a look at the position again.
Shields had a bad game against the Bears and wasn’t challenged much by the Seahawks. IMO there’s no reason to be concerned to the point of thinking about replacing him. As for Hayward, I think they have his replacement outside in Randall. Hayward’s best spot may still be playing the slot and Hyde does well there too. I think they're in a position of making Hayward prove his worth and if he doesn't, they'll be OK.

In addition at CB they have Rollins, Gunter, and Goodson. Rollins and Gunter both showed promise and Whitt said Goodson had just earned a spot with the 1s in preseason when he got injured. They kept him around because of his physical attributes, if he’s finally getting the techniques down he could vie for snaps in the future. They’re set at starting safety and have Hyde, Richardson and Banjo available as backups. IMO the Packers are extraordinarily deep in the secondary.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shields had a bad game against the Bears and wasn’t challenged much by the Seahawks. IMO there’s no reason to be concerned to the point of thinking about replacing him. As for Hayward, I think they have his replacement outside in Randall. Hayward’s best spot may still be playing the slot and Hyde does well there too. I think they're in a position of making Hayward prove his worth and if he doesn't, they'll be OK.

In addition at CB they have Rollins, Gunter, and Goodson. Rollins and Gunter both showed promise and Whitt said Goodson had just earned a spot with the 1s in preseason when he got injured. They kept him around because of his physical attributes, if he’s finally getting the techniques down he could vie for snaps in the future. They’re set at starting safety and have Hyde, Richardson and Banjo available as backups. IMO the Packers are extraordinarily deep in the secondary.

I guess you're right. I just think that hypothetically if Shields continues to struggle, we don't have anyone with that kind of speed to replace him. I'm not saying he will continue to struggle, just a big if.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
IMO 2 games into the season is too early to start thinking about who won't be on the roster next year, unless it's in regards to early contract talks. Bottom line is guys like Richardson and Hayward are in the "prove it year" of their contract and with the Packers infusion of youth in the secondary, they better perform if they want to stay in GB next year.

I still like Hayward, but he does seem a bit lost back there at times for a 4th year second round pick.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just hope that he recovers his rookie form and hope that his hamstring injuries haven't robbed him of any speed (since he didn't have a ton to begin with).

Not sure if moving him into the slot is the answer either, he's been REALLY up and down in the slot. Two games is too small a sample size but in the first game of the season he played 31 snaps in the slot and gave up 1 catch on 3 targets for 5 yards (QB rating of 42.4). Against Seattle though he played 19 snaps in the slot and gave up 4 catches on 4 targets for 69 yards and 1 TD (QB rating of 158.3). Interesting to note that the TD came when he was covering Fred Jackson according to PFF. Can't remember that play at the moment so I'm not sure if Jackson caught it out of the backfield or if Jackson lined up at WR on that play.

It will be interesting to see which game is more indicative of his actual play going forward.

D

Deleted member 6794

Interesting to note that the TD came when he was covering Fred Jackson according to PFF. Can't remember that play at the moment so I'm not sure if Jackson caught it out of the backfield or if Jackson lined up at WR on that play.

Jackson lined up in the backfield on that play and caught the ball close to the goal line with Hayward being the closest defender. I'm not sure it was Casey's assignment to cover him though.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haven't been too pleased with Hayward since his rookie year.
He should be looking over his shoulder by now.

D

Deleted member 6794

I wonder if Rollins is going to get any playing time this year.

Rollins was inactive vs. the Seahawks after Burnett returned from his injury. As long as everyone in the secondary stays healthy it will be tough for him to get on the field.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if Rollins is going to get any playing time this year.

Only so many active roster spots and with Randall playing well in the spot duty he's gotten along with Hyde having the experience plus versatility, being a backup Saftey and all, then it comes down to his ability on STs and the health of guys in front of him. I loved the Rollins pick but he was/is a little bit of a project and like i said the guys ahead of them have played well (outside of Shields against the Bears of course). Gunter hasn't played either.

Both just gotta keep their head down and keep grinding till they get their shot

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only so many active roster spots and with Randall playing well in the spot duty he's gotten along with Hyde having the experience plus versatility, being a backup Saftey and all, then it comes down to his ability on STs and the health of guys in front of him. I loved the Rollins pick but he was/is a little bit of a project and like i said the guys ahead of them have played well (outside of Shields against the Bears of course). Gunter hasn't played either.

Both just gotta keep their head down and keep grinding till they get their shot

Randall is playing better than expected and I think Rollins will compete for the 1 or 2 spot once Shields' K is done. Sam has tremendous physical talent but he hasn't developed the mental skills needed to keep him relevant as he ages. But before Shields is done in GB Rollins should press Hyde for the nickel, may the best man hold that position.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Micah Hyde, the defenses multi-tool. Doesn't do really excel anywhere on the backend in a pinch.

EDIT: I take the excel part back, his coverage of TEs has been fantastic. Even if Wilson wanted to target Graham he couldn't, it was a lonely night for Jimmy on Hyde island.

So I guess Micah Hyde is a multi-tool with an outstanding cork screw.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Randall is playing better than expected and I think Rollins will compete for the 1 or 2 spot once Shields' K is done. Sam has tremendous physical talent but he hasn't developed the mental skills needed to keep him relevant as he ages. But before Shields is done in GB Rollins should press Hyde for the nickel, may the best man hold that position.

I won't argue with that being a possibility in the future. Just saying it won't be this year barring injuries

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it was a lonely night for Jimmy on Hyde island.

I was at the game and I'll tell you it wasn't an island. Every time I specifically looked for Jimmy Graham and who he was matched up on Ha Ha had coverage over the top. Hyde played great but it defintly wasn't an island.

I will add that's one of the bonuses to seeing a game live. You don't really get to watch the secondary play on TV

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jackson lined up in the backfield on that play and caught the ball close to the goal line with Hayward being the closest defender. I'm not sure it was Casey's assignment to cover him though.

If Hayward was on the field then he was taking the place of a linebacker in the nickel. Were the Seahawks in a 1/2 set or 1/1? If the latter then Hayward was probably on a receiver. If the former then he was probably responsible for the running back (just guesses on my part).

Members online

Latest posts