What the Packers might do for the 2017 NFL Draft

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have convinced myself that TT blames the poor CB play mainly on injuries and lack of pressure on the QB. Combine that with the loss of Peppers and Jones, maybe he should have addressed the OLB in Free Agency, but he didn't. So, if I am inside TT's head, I am counting on Matthews to play better when healthy and looking to replace the loss of Peppers, as well as improve play, by going after OLB with my first pick. I would never bet on the draft, but my money is on OLB/EDGE being that first pick.

Seems like TT admitted tonight that Randall and Rollins are disappointments. Not sure how you can look at two top picks just two years ago as anything other than huge disappointments when the team is spending its top two picks at the same positions just two years later.

Hopefully all four will turn out to be great and we can complain about too many good players without enough room on the field.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Seems like TT admitted tonight that Randall and Rollins are disappointments. Not sure how you can look at two top picks just two years ago as anything other than huge disappointments when the team is spending its top two picks at the same positions just two years later.

Hopefully all four will turn out to be great and we can complain about too many good players without enough room on the field.

I would have rather he had "admitted" to the disappointments of R & R via a known FA CB, a couple of rookies doesn't guarantee if there is a problem or that it will be fixed anytime soon. Basically, this is identical to picking Randall and Rollins #1 and #2 in 2015, we can only hope it turns out better.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted is too stubborn to give that early on Ted picks remember? :) anyway, even if Randall and Rollins had respectable seasons last year, I could easily see the draft falling the same way. You can never have too many corners, and I do have faith that either randall or rollins will be good, maybe both. But we still need more. House is nice to have, but is not our answer and gunter should be that 4th or 5th guy. In this day and age you need to be 3-4 deep with quality DB's on the field at all times. This draft helps that

I felt better about the young safety play than the younger DB play last year. I do really like Brice, but he wouldn't be the first player i've liked that didn't amount to much. I like Burnett, but closer to the line. I think Ha Ha is solid. That's all I give him. I think he's over rated, but I don't think he sucks either. I want someone back there that can cover ground and diagnose plays. and we stand to lose 1 or 2 this offseason. This is the situation where either Ted picks someone to cover those loses if they're available and gets in trouble for not picking to win now. or if he doesn't pick someone, he's just reactionary and has no plan.

I think we got some good guys to work with back there in this draft. I don't view this as a repeat draft or an admission on anything other than this team needs better DB play. Even if randall and rollins played really well, there's still room for at least 1 high DB choice in this draft and 2 doesn't even begin to make me scratch my head. We lost Shields and hyde. Gained House.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think we got some good guys to work with back there in this draft. I don't view this as a repeat draft or an admission on anything other than this team needs better DB play. Even if randall and rollins played really well, there's still room for at least 1 high DB choice in this draft and 2 doesn't even begin to make me scratch my head. We lost Shields and hyde. Gained House.

How many teams have used their top 2 picks in the draft 2 out of 3 years in a row on the secondary? Their top pick on the secondary 3 out of 4 years? How many teams have used their first pick in 6 consecutive drafts on Defense? If that isn't bad enough, the Packers over the last 6 drafts have gone defense on their first 3 picks 13 out of 18 times. When do we start seeing the results of all these draft resources being spent on the defense? An even scarier question, when do we see the corresponding results of not spending resources on the offense?

Call it what you want, "improving", a "repeat draft", an "admission of failure", no other team has pumped these kinds of resources into the defense over the last 6 years and for what? The crap we saw last year? Admittedly, I probably should say 5 years, since the 3 new guys haven't played a snap. But by drafting them, TT is basically saying "yup, I haven't fixed it yet."

Blame TT for bad drafts and not using other resources to fix defensive issues and/or Capers for poor coaching, but with the kind of draft resources the Packers have spent on the defense over the last 6 years, if it doesn't show a lot of improvement in 2017, both TT and Capers should be out the door.

Last edited:

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think EITHER Randall OR Rollins will be ok, but not both so yes we needed a corner. I'm scratching my head on why we went Safety late 2. We needed DL help which we got late 3, but we also need RB and OL help which we don't have yet.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think EITHER Randall OR Rollins will be ok, but not both so yes we needed a corner. I'm scratching my head on why we went Safety late 2. We needed DL help which we got late 3, but we also need RB and OL help which we don't have yet.

I would add WR to that short range (2018) need.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score

having strengthened our secondary and adding a pass rush(hopefully adams comes through...crossing fingers) our 1st pick today will be a RB. just sayin', ya'll. unless Uncle Ted gets drunk and picks another secondary and has that "look" during the press conference saying, "whhaaaaa?"

Sky King

Reaction score
Didn't we have a fair amount of discussion on this forum over the past several months that we lacked quality depth in the secondary last year? Help is now on the way in the form of high draft picks, not UDFA long-shots and drafted players who run not-so-fast. An experienced FA addition would have been nice but those chips were surprisingly put down on two TEs instead.

Who starts at DB in 2017 is what's up in the air at this point.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Who starts at DB in 2017 is what's up in the air at this point.

Really it isn't about who starts, it's about who contributes. We now have plenty of bodies in the secondary, but I am afraid at this point, at least for the 2017 season, not enough talent (yet) to make a big difference.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really it isn't about who starts, it's about who contributes. We now have plenty of bodies in the secondary, but I am afraid at this point, at least for the 2017 season, not enough talent (yet) to make a big difference.

King and Randall down the line as 1 and 2 corners will be fine I think but yes i agree one more veteran corner would be nice

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If King and Jones can adapt quickly I think they will contribute tremendously this season. I'm very confident that King, despite his lanky build, will help in the secondary.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
now that the draft excitement is over now we have to wait months until camp starts to feed the football cravings. oh boy....!

Members online

Latest posts