What the Packers might do for the 2017 NFL Draft

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If he goes OLB it may indicate that TT's philosophy is that one position influences the play of the other (more). Or that the play of those two CBs can only improve in comparison to last season's wince-worthy performances. Or maybe both.

I have convinced myself that TT blames the poor CB play mainly on injuries and lack of pressure on the QB. Combine that with the loss of Peppers and Jones, maybe he should have addressed the OLB in Free Agency, but he didn't. So, if I am inside TT's head, I am counting on Matthews to play better when healthy and looking to replace the loss of Peppers, as well as improve play, by going after OLB with my first pick. I would never bet on the draft, but my money is on OLB/EDGE being that first pick.

Sky King

Reaction score
I have convinced myself that TT blames the poor CB play mainly on injuries and lack of pressure on the QB. Combine that with the loss of Peppers and Jones, maybe he should have addressed the OLB in Free Agency, but he didn't. So, if I am inside TT's head, I am counting on Matthews to play better when healthy and looking to replace the loss of Peppers, as well as improve play, by going after OLB with my first pick. I would never bet on the draft, but my money is on OLB/EDGE being that first pick.
I have a side bet going with a friend and my position is exactly that. There's a new Packer hat on the line for that. :ninja:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I have a side bet going with a friend and my position is exactly that. There's a new Packer hat on the line for that. :ninja:

I want in on that action, especially if your friend thinks it will be a TE, QB, OL, S, P or K :D

I would guess most Packer fans are expecting.....OLB, CB or RB with our first pick.

Reaction score
I would prefer the Packers to use their early round picks on either a cornerback or an edge rusher. Thompson hasn't drafted a prospect best suited to line up at guard before the fourth round in a long time and I don't expect that to change this year.
I hope you're right Wimm. Although I'm not necessarily opposed to doing this trade back thing to acquire extra mid round picks if our guy at CB and LB are gone when it's our turn. I'd love to have an extra .. 2nd or 3rd rounder this year.

Reaction score
I'm most excited about getting pressure on the QB. Disruption in the O backfield will make even an average Corner look like an All Pro

Ted Thompson's Mind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have this reoccurring nightmare where I show up to the war room on draft day and realize I'm only in my underwear.

D

Deleted member 6794

Pretty much a rinse and repeat of 2016, JAGS and UDFA's.....I just don't see a rookie changing that.

I think you're a tad too negative about the prospects of a rookie cornerback making an immediate impact. While it's unlikely a prospect drafted at the start of the second round turns into a shutdown CB in a short period of time he should be capable of performing at a higher level than Randall and Rollins did last season.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think you're a tad too negative about the prospects of a rookie cornerback making an immediate impact. While it's unlikely a prospect drafted at the start of the second round turns into a shutdown CB in a short period of time he should be capable of performing at a higher level than Randall and Rollins did last season.

This is true, but I think it also bears repeating that Randall and Rollins are capable of performing at a higher level than Randall and Rollins did last season. Totally not against a CB at the top of the second-- King or Awuzie. But I'd also be very pleased with Bowser or Willis or Lamp.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is true, but I think it also bears repeating that Randall and Rollins are capable of performing at a higher level than Randall and Rollins did last season. Totally not against a CB at the top of the second-- King or Awuzie. But I'd also be very pleased with Bowser or Willis or Lamp.

With quality still there and guys like Kizer, cook and Mixon probably on team's board I could see a trade down for sure. What could the Packers add if the trade with a team like the Jets or chargers?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

I never said it wasn't possible, but I still think it's a risky gamble to potentially have to rely on it. I base that on the way the CB's played last year, which included a 1st and a second rounder, both in their second years.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
With quality still there and guys like Kizer, cook and Mixon probably on team's board I could see a trade down for sure. What could the Packers add if the trade with a team like the Jets or chargers?

Probably another 4th round pick.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
possibilities for second round:
1) Trade for more picks
2) Draft Kevin King
3) Draft Sidney Jones
4) Joe Mixon
5) EDGE

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT has made it very clear that the #33 pick is for sale. If there is a large enough group of players that TT is still interested in, I won't be surprised one bit if that pick is traded for a #35 - #40 pick with a team who really covets a guy still on the board.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/28/packers-g-m-on-tonights-first-pick-come-and-get-it/
I think TT was talking in generalities. Every pick is up for grabs and he has discussed possible trades for various scenarios. This being a new pick, and a premium pick, he will get a dozen calls. His comments maybe to drive up possible offers.

Unfortunately, the stupid bears have given up a lot of their ammunition and are not an option.

Sky King

Reaction score
Swapping 2nd round picks with the Chargers and taking their 3rd or 4th round pick (for the chance to draft Kizer) would be okay. It would probably be the Chargers since the Jets pick ahead of them in the 2nd, anyway, and the Jets do not have a high pick in the 4th to dangle in front of the Packers as an incentive. We can always hope the Jets get stupid and offer their high 3rd rounder to ensure at shot at Kizer. Hopefully, Kizer is overrated in value to both of those potential suitors.

Of course, the Jets could also cut a deal with the Seahawks, Jags, Bears or Rams to jump ahead of the Chargers, depending upon the timing of a trade, so there could be some reduction in leverage for the Packers. Both teams are probably pretty sure that the Packers won't draft Kizer, regardless.

Another scenario could be that the Seahawks have their eye on Lamp and another team picking near the top of the all rounds wants to jump ahead of them.

If there's going to be a bidding war I hope it turns into a fleecing of their trading partner and the Packers still get whomever they would have taken at the top of the round.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the stupid bears have given up a lot of their ammunition and are not an option.

Right? :confused: I thought a trade down was likely, but I thought it would be because one of those top 3 QBs would still be around. Everyone blew their load the second the Bears traded up for Trubisky. Maybe can still get some value by teasing Kizer around the league, but I feel like it coulda been even better (for us) if the Bears had a little more spine.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anybody have any unique insights into Malik McDowell? Just realized I haven't seen him mentioned around here really, and tbh, I forgot he existed until just now.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anybody have any unique insights into Malik McDowell? Just realized I haven't seen him mentioned around here really, and tbh, I forgot he existed until just now.

He's got talent but has no passion for football. He mails it in during practice and oftentimes during games. I would be horrified if the Packers took him in the second. You can't be successful in the NFL unless you have the drive to work no matter how much talent you have.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

I'm hoping he isn't on the Packers minds either. Call it a hangover effect (in my mind) from drafting MSU's D-lineman Jarel Worthless, coupled with the fact that I don't think we need to spend a high pick on the DL.

Sky King

Reaction score
I'm hoping he isn't on the Packers minds either. Call it a hangover effect (in my mind) from drafting MSU's D-lineman Jarel Worthless, coupled with the fact that I don't think we need to spend a high pick on the DL.
The only exception might be for a player that can play OLB and switch to the interior on passing downs as a replacement for both Peppers and Jones in that role. A guy like that would be intriguing - if there is such a player - especially if he truly has early 2nd round value. No draft guru here, so I have no candidate names to offer.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts