What the Packers might do for the 2017 NFL Draft

D

Deleted member 6794

You could be right, hard to really predict what TT will do, but at least that gives us all something to talk about. I imagine over on the Patriots fan site, they are all just high 5'ing and singing the praises of BB and every move he makes.....man that wouldn't be much fun, might as well become a cheerleader! :rolleyes:

I'm quite sure there were several Patriots fans unhappy with Belichick at some point when they didn't win a Super Bowl for nine consecutive seasons.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My prediction for tonight.....

45% the board *****es about the pick, who we passed on and calls for TT'S head

45% defends the pick at all cost

10% simply hope the pick can be an All Pro

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Gareon Conley situation threatens to scramble things up. He was sure 1st rounder who would have probably gone before the Packers picked. I like Kevin King too, but the chances of him being there at #29 may have just gone down. As for Watt, I wouldn't be angry if the Packers selected him in the 1st, but I would prefer Charles Harris, Jarrad Davis or Zach Cunningham over Watt. Granted Cunningham is an ILB, but I think that overall, Cunningham would bring a lot to this defense.

Drafting one of these 4 in the 1st and Quincy Wilson per the Fantasy Greek's Mock Draft, I wouldn't be upset by that at all.

About Cunningham, I saw him play one time, and was impressed by his athleticism. He also seemed to always be around the ball (a la Brian Noble in '87)

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordan Willis is a guy to keep an eye on. Scouts like him a lot more than the mock drafters and talking heads.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score

True. People will never be happy. However, whatever the Packs do people with ***** about it anyway.

Just curious if they will get a OLB or CB in the 1st. Now if they pick a RB in the 1st I wouldn't be surprised. What if TT picks a kicker in the 1st just to **** everyone off? lol

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

My prediction for tonight, the Packers will be trading out of the first round and allow people to "double up" on the *****ing the next day. :coffee:

Sky King

Reaction score
OLB. Roster replacements are needed for Peppers and Jones. House has already replaced Hyde on the roster and TT & staff may still believe in the healthier versions of Randall and Rollins since this is only year-three for both.

I am not as down on CM3 as some other posters have been. We are short-handed at OLB and players are needed at that position regardless of how well Matthews will play this season. Peppers and Jones need replacing.

Do we grant Mulligans for health reasons for certain players simply because they get paid less? Unless it's been proved, no players heal faster just because they're paid more. That's a fan-think phenomenon. Adams comes to mind as being the most recent who showed how much differently playing injured vs. being healthy had made a profound difference in performance. We all liked how much better he played when his ankle was healthy last season vs. the season before. And we all witnessed him pretty much disappear in the NFCCG last year when his ankle was sprained once again. Had he somehow been given an additional million dollar bonus specifically for playing in that NFCCG game would that have healed his injured ankle?

Despite not being tightly up against the cap, we draw no quarter for Matthews and Cobb even though they have been injured themselves over the past couple of years. It's as though somehow their getting bigger paychecks will cure their injuries - physical conditions that no doubt also limit other (lesser-paid) players around the NFL.

Randall and Rollins have not yet proven themselves like Matthews and Cobb had done prior to their injuries but they were definitely limited by injuries last year. Lack of health or lack of talent? We'll see regarding Randall and Rollins. We just don't know for sure what their ceilings will be at this juncture. But we do know that both were injured for much of last season, same as Adams had been in his sophomore year. That latter situation seems to have turned-out much for the better and so could theirs. This comes from one who has been very critical of both of these CBs. But I've given it more thought. They aren't going anywhere, it seems. If either or both get traded during preseason or near the final cut down we'll know that TT & staff may have given up on them.

There may be indicators. TT did not obtain anyone in FA to replace them. On the surface that does not seem to be the reason for the House acquisition. He replaced Hyde, or maybe Rollins place in the rotation if he (Rollins) takes Hyde's former role or Randall's if he gets moved to his natural place at FS. Therefore, I'm not convinced that TT will go after any more CBs with his earliest pick, especially with a draft that is alleged to be deeper than normal at the position. Theoretically, TT has the luxury of being able to wait and he should still be able to find a good CB in a draft with this depth. If he does go CB early and often, I would take that as an indicator that one or both of Randall and Rollins could be on the way out before the season begins. Short of that I think TT will go in another direction.

All that said, I tend to favor the notion that TT goes for an OLB with his first pick, and it's been the posts of several draft gurus on this forum that have swayed me into believing that. The more I read about Watt and his potential ceiling the more I favor him. And if TT can trade down and still get Watt that just might be a steal.

D

Deleted member 6794

OLB. Roster replacements are needed for Peppers and Jones. House has already replaced Hyde on the roster and TT & staff may still believe in the healthier versions of Randall and Rollins since this is only year-three for both.

It seems that Thompson heavily relies on Randall and Rollins to significantly improve next year. Most likely the success of the 2017 season hinges on him being right about it.

I would still be in favor of drafting a cornerback early to add a possible starter if TT's plan at the position doesn't work out.

Sky King

Reaction score
It seems that Thompson heavily relies on Randall and Rollins to significantly improve next year. Most likely the success of the 2017 season hinges on him being right about it.

I would still be in favor of drafting a cornerback early to add a possible starter if TT's plan at the position doesn't work out.
Yeah, it sure looks like he's rolling the dice on that improvement taking place. My dream scenario would be that he trades down from #1 and still gets both an OLB and CB that are reasonably worthy of being chosen #29.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah, it sure looks like he's rolling the dice on that improvement taking place. My dream scenario would be that he trades down from #1 and still gets both an OLB and CB that are reasonably worthy of being chosen #29.

I agree that adding quality depth at outside linebacker is another pressing need for the Packers entering the draft. Along with cornerback both positions desperately need to be addressed.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Here is a thought that probably hasn't crossed TT's mind......don't draft a CB with a top 2 pick (unless its Sidney Jones in round 2). Is a rookie CB really going to get a lot of playing time as well as contribute in 2017? If Randall and/or Rollins don't improve.....here is the part TT hasn't thought of :D........actually go after a top CB in free agency next year. If you drafted Jones, you have a top 15 talent for 2018 and a top FA CB to man the corners....possibly for the new GM. :coffee:
If either Randall or Rollins blows the roof off the place this year, than you may not even need that FA CB.

I too think TT has put the season, as well as potentially his career on the line if he rolls with House, Randall and Rollins. I don't think a #29 pick on a CB is going to help that situation all that much in 2017. I think the best way TT can help the defense in the draft now, is to use that top pick on an OLB like Watt or Harris, guys that might be able to help get additional pressure on opposing QB's and give our CB's some needed help in the process.

D

Deleted member 6794

Here is a thought that probably hasn't crossed TT's mind......don't draft a CB with a top 2 pick (unless its Sidney Jones). Is a rookie CB really going to get a lot of playing time as well as contribute in 2017? If Randall and/or Rollins don't improve.....here is the part TT hasn't thought of :D........actually go after a top CB in free agency next year. If you drafted Jones, you have a top 15 talent for 2018 and a top FA CB to man the corners....possibly for the new GM. :coffee:
If either Randall or Rollins blows the roof off the place this year, than you may not even need that FA CB.

I too think TT has put the season, as well as potentially his career on the line if he rolls with House, Randall and Rollins. I don't think a #29 pick on a CB is going to help that situation all that much in 2017. I think the best way TT can help the defense in the draft now, is to use that top pick on an OLB like Watt or Harris, guys that might be able to help get additional pressure on opposing QB's and give our CB's some needed help in the process.

While it's unlikely to draft a cornerback capable of immediately improving the secondary the Packers have to give it a try this time around. Otherwise it will be extremely tough to have a successful 2017 season as long as Randall and Rollins don't significantly improve next season.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only mock site I go to is Walterfootball. But I have seen other mocks on the NFL network and I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would guess that we would take a RB with the 29th pick much less Mixon. 3rd round, yes but not 1st. I don't know what they are thinking.

Several mocks, I have heard, have Watt going before we pick.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
While it's unlikely to draft a cornerback capable of immediately improving the secondary the Packers have to give it a try this time around. Otherwise it will be extremely tough to have a successful 2017 season as long as Randall and Rollins don't significantly improve next season.

I hear you and that was one of my rationales for going after a #1 CB in FA. TT is banking on his current CB's to do the job this year, I don't think a rookie is going to save the season. Further, there are 4 CB's (big group) that may get a legitimate whack at it (House, Randall, Rollins and Gunther). So when do you say "ok, this experiment failed, send in the rookie". What if that rookie isn't ready this year? Do you roll with that rookie and whoever else comes out of the pile for 2018? I think out of the CB's we will most likely have access to in the draft, Sidney Jones gives us the best CB in 2018, which is the first year I see any of them actually having an impact.

This could really start feeling like ILB and TE Groundhog Day.

D

Deleted member 6794

I hear you and that was one of my rationales for going after a #1 CB in FA. TT is banking on his current CB's to do the job this year, I don't think a rookie is going to save the season. Further, there are 4 CB's (big group) that may get a legitimate whack at it (House, Randall, Rollins and Gunther). So when do you say "ok, this experiment failed, send in the rookie". What if that rookie isn't ready this year? Do you roll with that rookie and whoever else comes out of the pile for 2018? I think out of the CB's we will most likely have access to in the draft, Sidney Jones gives us the best CB in 2018, which is the first year I see any of them actually having an impact.

The problem being that if the group of Randall, House, Rollins and Gunter fail and the Packers didn't spend an early rounder on a cornerback who else does the team have to put on the field??? I agree that Jones and possibly Conley present the best chance for the team to draft a player capable of having an impact.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The problem being that if the group of Randall, House, Rollins and Gunter fail and the Packers didn't spend an early rounder on a cornerback who else does the team have to put on the field??? I agree that Jones and possibly Conley present the best chance for the team to draft a player capable of having an impact.

Pretty much a rinse and repeat of 2016, JAGS and UDFA's.....I just don't see a rookie changing that. Teddy is going to give us a really good indication of just how confident he is in his current group of CB's with his first 2 picks.

This reminds me a bit of TT's confidence in Adams after the 2015 season. The only difference is, Jordy came back to take some pressure off Adams, Shields nor the signing of House has done the same for R & R.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

I'll play.

60% complains
10% defends
30% complains but hopes it turns out well.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think TT will be able to take full advantage of a whole lot of teams looking for QB's in the first 3 rounds. I have read as many as 10 QB's could go in rounds 1-3, possibly 4 in round 1. What this means for the Packers are trading partners in the first 3 rounds, teams that want to grab one of those QB's that is still on the board. For the Packers, it will also mean more talented players still on the board for positions of need.

Not sure how everyone else watches the draft (if you do), but I cheer when teams pick players outside of what I think are positions of need for the Packers. So let all those QB's, TE's, OL and safeties fall early and plentiful over the next 2 nights!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The only mock site I go to is Walterfootball. But I have seen other mocks on the NFL network and I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would guess that we would take a RB with the 29th pick much less Mixon. 3rd round, yes but not 1st. I don't know what they are thinking.

Several mocks, I have heard, have Watt going before we pick.

So many mock sites to look at, they are all guessing just as much as we are. I kind of like to peak at this one.....only because it gives 7 different analysts mocks side by side.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft

My last thought on Mixon. I don't think the decision of "when" to draft Mixon is as important to teams as the decision of "will" we draft him. Meaning, if a team says "yup, we want Mixon", then they probably won't wait around too long to pull the trigger, because there is going to be a Team that already wants him bad enough to take him quicker. I think Mixon is going to be a lot like Jaylon Smith was last year. Teams will take a pass on him in the first round, but a team that has decided that he is worth the risk and see's him still on the board in Day 2, will grab him at the top of round 2.

Sky King

Reaction score
...I too think TT has put the season, as well as potentially his career on the line if he rolls with House, Randall and Rollins. I don't think a #29 pick on a CB is going to help that situation all that much in 2017. I think the best way TT can help the defense in the draft now, is to use that top pick on an OLB like Watt or Harris, guys that might be able to help get additional pressure on opposing QB's and give our CB's some needed help in the process.
If he goes OLB it may indicate that TT's philosophy is that one position influences the play of the other (more). Or that the play of those two CBs can only improve in comparison to last season's wince-worthy performances. Or maybe both.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts