What the Packers might do for the 2017 NFL Draft

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way do I draft Watt at the back end of round 1. If I'm Ted I trade down to early round 2 (Cleveland may be looking to get back into round 1) get a 1 next year for it AND then get Watt in early round 2.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just saw Mayocks mock draft on NFL network and I just threw up in my mouth a lil bit. Kamara.... Are you ****ing kidding me?

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Gareon Conley situation threatens to scramble things up. He was sure 1st rounder who would have probably gone before the Packers picked. I like Kevin King too, but the chances of him being there at #29 may have just gone down. As for Watt, I wouldn't be angry if the Packers selected him in the 1st, but I would prefer Charles Harris, Jarrad Davis or Zach Cunningham over Watt. Granted Cunningham is an ILB, but I think that overall, Cunningham would bring a lot to this defense.

Drafting one of these 4 in the 1st and Quincy Wilson per the Fantasy Greek's Mock Draft, I wouldn't be upset by that at all.

Last edited:

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One question: let's assume the Packers draft a CB in rounds 1 or 2 and Sidney Jones is still on the board after the 3rd round (is that realistic?). Would it be a good idea the Packers draft him for the future? He has a torn ACL. There are torn ACLs and torn ACLs. Jordy Nelson had one, Adrian Peterson had one. Is it worth the risk?

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One question: let's assume the Packers draft a CB in rounds 1 or 2 and Sidney Jones is still on the board after the 3rd round (is that realistic?). Would it be a good idea the Packers draft him for the future? He has a torn ACL. There are torn ACLs and torn ACLs. Jordy Nelson had one, Adrian Peterson had one. Is it worth the risk?

Short answer: Yes

Long answer: Yes. Jones in the 3rd round is just too good and high reward enough to offset the risk if he falls that far

D

Deleted member 6794

No way do I draft Watt at the back end of round 1. If I'm Ted I trade down to early round 2 (Cleveland may be looking to get back into round 1) get a 1 next year for it AND then get Watt in early round 2.

I don't believe there's any chance the Packers would receive a first round pick in next year's draft to move back some spots to the early second in this one.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I were TT and Gareon Conley, Sidney Jones, and Caleb Brantley who after the combine were for sure 1st Rounders and they are hanging around in the 3rd-4th, I'd trade my 4th, 2 5ths, 6th, 7th, AND whatever 2018 2nd and 3rd day picks I'd have to to get all three somehow if I could. Combined with the 1st and 2nd picks that'd I'd probably spend on OL and LB that's one happy draft. Now I know that's next to impossible that TT would do that, but I sure would.

EDIT - While I'm at it, might as well grab Joe Mixon by way of trading 2018 picks too.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Combined with the 1st and 2nd picks that'd I'd probably spend on OL and LB that's one happy draft.

I'm curious to know why you believe it would be smart for the Packers to spend either their first or second round pick on an offensive lineman.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I just saw Mayocks mock draft on NFL network and I just threw up in my mouth a lil bit. Kamara.... Are you ******* kidding me?

I don't want a RB in the first, but everything I've read going back to January indicates that the NFL likes Kamara more than the media.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm curious to know why you believe it would be smart for the Packers to spend either their first or second round pick on an offensive lineman.

If all of that were possible, I wouldn't really have any where else to go with that pick. I'd probably spend the 1st on a LB/Edge like Cunningham or Watt, and then the 2nd on a quality lineman. I know Evans is the stopgap, but like we've discussed in a previous thread Spriggs really needs to stay at OT, and I give Evans 2-3 years tops at OG. So unless I'm trading the 2nd to trade back and get all those guys later, I'm going for the future to get an OG who can possible start Day 1 or in 2 years or less. If you have a better way to spend that 2nd pick go ahead and divulge.

Personally the only way I wouldn't do an OL is if there's a top notch 3-4 DE or 3-4 OLB. In Round 2 I'd love Willis to be there and I know Kpassanoh will definitely be there but he may be a reach. Jaleel Johnson is an interesting reach there as well.

D

Deleted member 6794

If all of that were possible, I wouldn't really have any where else to go with that pick. I'd probably spend the 1st on a LB/Edge like Cunningham or Watt, and then the 2nd on a quality lineman. I know Evans is the stopgap, but like we've discussed in a previous thread Spriggs really needs to stay at OT, and I give Evans 2-3 years tops at OG. So unless I'm trading the 2nd to trade back and get all those guys later, I'm going for the future to get an OG who can possible start Day 1 or in 2 years or less. If you have a better way to spend that 2nd pick go ahead and divulge.

Personally the only way I wouldn't do an OL is if there's a top notch 3-4 DE or 3-4 OLB. In Round 2 I'd love Willis to be there and I know Kpassanoh will definitely be there but he may be a reach. Jaleel Johnson is an interesting reach there as well.

I would prefer the Packers to use their early round picks on either a cornerback or an edge rusher. Thompson hasn't drafted a prospect best suited to line up at guard before the fourth round in a long time and I don't expect that to change this year.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1st and 2nd on the best Olb and best cb at those spots.

Between the 3rd and 4ths a rb, another cb and either ol, dl, or ilb. Just don't see a huge need at wr, te, qb, s so I would rather draft those spots later if at all

D

Deleted member 6794

Between the 3rd and 4ths a rb, another cb and either ol, dl, or ilb. Just don't see a huge need at wr, te, qb, s so I would rather draft those spots later if at all

While there isn't an immediate need at wide receiver or safety that could change quickly down the road with Adams, Clinton-Dix and Burnett headed towards free agency as well as Nelson getting up there in age.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
While there isn't an immediate need at wide receiver or safety that could change quickly down the road with Adams, Clinton-Dix and Burnett headed towards free agency as well as Nelson getting up there in age.

Add to the question mark around Adams pending free agency and Jordy's age, the contract of Cobb. This could be Cobb's last year in GB unless he plays well enough to earn the 2018 unguaranteed portion of his contract ($9.5 M cap savings by cutting him) or his contract is renegotiated. So depending on the Packers outlook on Allison and Davis, I fully expect a WR to be taken mid round and if TT has a clear view of the WR group in 2018 and it only includes an older Jordy and Allison, that pick might come earlier.

D

Deleted member 6794

Add to the question mark around Adams pending free agency and Jordy's age, the contract of Cobb. This could be Cobb's last year in GB unless he plays well enough to earn the 2018 unguaranteed portion of his contract ($9.5 M cap savings by cutting him) or his contract is renegotiated.

After Thompson seemingly made no effort to approach Matthews or Cobb about renegotiating their contracts I don't expect him to cut either one of them even if they continue to not perform up to what they're getting paid.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
After Thompson seemingly made no effort to approach Matthews or Cobb about renegotiating their contracts I don't expect him to cut either one of them even if they continue to not perform up to what they're getting paid.

Who says Ted will be making that decision after this season? ;)

Will be interesting to see what happens with both. I don't see the ability (savings wise or replacement of him) or need to cut Cobb this year, but that could be wide open at the end of next year, depending on his and other WR's performances this year. Clay isn't a lock to make the 2017 roster IMO. There is a big enough cap savings ($10.6 M) not to include him on the 53 man roster and use that money to start signing 2018 pending Free agents or rework AR's contract with it. Clay is going to have to look sharp in preseason, as well as nobody below him on the depth chart, looking sharp enough to make Clay expendable. 2018 for Matthews is even more questionable, if he has another lackluster year, the Packers have no dead cap on Clay in 2018 to justify keeping him around for $11.4M.

D

Deleted member 6794

Who says Ted will be making that decision after this season? ;)

Will be interesting to see what happens with both. I don't see the ability (savings wise or replacement of him) or need to cut Cobb this year, but that could be wide open at the end of next year, depending on his and other WR's performances this year. Clay isn't a lock to make the 2017 roster IMO. There is a big enough cap savings ($10.6 M) not to include him on the 53 man roster and use that money to start signing 2018 pending Free agents or rework AR's contract with it. Clay is going to have to look sharp in preseason, as well as nobody below him on the depth chart, looking sharp enough to make Clay expendable. 2018 for Matthews is even more questionable, if he has another lackluster year, the Packers have no dead cap on Clay in 2018 to justify keeping him around for $11.4M.

I understand your point of view but as I've mentioned above as long as Thompson is calling the shots I expect both Matthews and Cobb to be on the roster in 2018 under their current deals.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I understand your point of view but as I've mentioned above as long as Thompson is calling the shots I expect both Matthews and Cobb to be on the roster in 2018 under their current deals.

You could be right, hard to really predict what TT will do, but at least that gives us all something to talk about. I imagine over on the Patriots fan site, they are all just high 5'ing and singing the praises of BB and every move he makes.....man that wouldn't be much fun, might as well become a cheerleader! :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts