What should we consider to be a success for LaFleur and team next season?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't read the entire thread, but I would really like to see some solid moves in free agency. We obviously want to have the best draft possible, but we need some more playmakers with experience. Hope to see improvements made there during free agency.
Read the entire thread and then realize this is a discussion of LaFleaurs minimum acceptability level, not a general discussion on off season roster moves.

KEB1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Got to agree with others, playoffs is the minimum requirement, but winning the division in the process would be nice.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree as well all you can ask for is a chance to win the Superbowl and that means making the playoffs

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
This doesn't need to be a 2 year rebuild. We have a fresh start and the picks and $ to build an offense that can compete with any of these teams that are still playing Championship weekend. If Gute can ignore the calamoring fans that keep wanting to put a band-aid on head wound and burn more top picks on defense we have a chance. The players are there. Gute just has to get them.

D

Deleted member 6794

This doesn't need to be a 2 year rebuild. We have a fresh start and the picks and $ to build an offense that can compete with any of these teams that are still playing Championship weekend. If Gute can ignore the calamoring fans that keep wanting to put a band-aid on head wound and burn more top picks on defense we have a chance. The players are there. Gute just has to get them.

The defense was good enough this season for the Packers to be competitive but there's no reason to ignore that side of the ball in the offseason.

KEB1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course looking at this season, although it's not the only issue, we have to take AR's injury into account.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
We still need to acquire some more talent on defense, but I'm ready to see the Packers reload on offense too.

The Coordinator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Winning record #1, Getting a training program installed to lesson the injuries. With a winning record playoffs are always a possibility just like in 2010 when we were the 6th seed.

OP
OP
Cheese Headed Monster
Reaction score
I'll take 9-7 and being in control of our own destiny in the end for playoffs. Win and we're in game 16 would be a success for me. I'm purely basing this off last year however

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds good to me. Hate having to wait out the rest of the season either because the Pack has been eliminated or can't improve on their playoff spot.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The defense was good enough this season for the Packers to be competitive but there's no reason to ignore that side of the ball in the offseason.

We still need to acquire some more talent on defense, but I'm ready to see the Packers reload on offense too.

Nobody in the league the past five years has invested as much in there defense draft wise more the Packers. It's time to change the approach at least for a season and go at the offense with the same approach. Rodgers is 35 and time is of the essence.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Nobody in the league the past five years has invested as much in there defense draft wise more the Packers. It's time to change the approach at least for a season and go at the offense with the same approach. Rodgers is 35 and time is of the essence.
Ideally, I'd like to see the Packers acquire a pass catching back, another difference maker to line up opposite of Adams on the outside, and at least a pick in rounds 1 through 3 on a cornerstone right tackle of the future. MVS and EQ are intriguing young players, but neither are ready to be a #2 option on a contending team in my opinion.

I don't see much help if any in the 2019 free agency group offensively. So to your point, I'm all for reloading and going heavy on offense in the early rounds of the draft, and signing a couple of difference makers on defense.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would count this past season as the first year, and this upcoming offseason as the second.
i don't think so. i think 2018 was another year of hole plugging and hoping rodgers would pull a miracle out of his hat. ineffective-jordy-gone/graham-in was a wash. no big personnel or cap moves. night and day difference in thought processes between 2018 and 2019. 2019 is all about staff/player turnover and cap moves. this off-season is the beginning imo.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My memory may be failing me here (wouldn't be the first time), but it seems like we've been trying to build a defense with the draft, and reserving free agency more for the offense. Maybe if nothing else, they might try reversing that for a change.

i don't think so. i think 2018 was another year of hole plugging and hoping rodgers would pull a miracle out of his hat. ineffective-jordy-gone/graham-in was a wash. no big personnel or cap moves. night and day difference in thought processes between 2018 and 2019. 2019 is all about staff/player turnover and cap moves. this off-season is the beginning imo.
I think last season was the beginning of the rebuild with replacing Thompson and Capers.
Maybe Gute's moves were a little more conservative than some would hope, but he had a good draft, and was at least in the running for Mack supposedly (he just didn't have the horses to compete with Chicago).

OP
OP
Cheese Headed Monster
Reaction score
My memory may be failing me here (wouldn't be the first time), but it seems like we've been trying to build a defense with the draft, and reserving free agency more for the offense. Maybe if nothing else, they might try reversing that for a change.

I think last season was the beginning of the rebuild with replacing Thompson and Capers.
Maybe Gute's moves were a little more conservative than some would hope, but he had a good draft, and was at least in the running for Mack supposedly (he just didn't have the horses to compete with Chicago).

Last time we reserved a tiny bit of free agency for defense we ended up with Julius Peppers and in my opinion he looked rejuvenated and did an amazing job for us. So you might be on to something there.

Reaction score
One component of success for me personally would be if LaFluer gets his 2 most needed Elite level Defenders out of the way through FA (I believe them to be Safety and OLB/DE).
Then we can cut the Clay project and concentrate on a formidable SECOND pass rusher round 1 and a slew of Offense early and often in the draft.

D

Deleted member 6794

Gutekunst definitely wasn't conservative in his first offseason as the team's general manager.

One component of success for me personally would be if LaFluer gets his 2 most needed Elite level Defenders out of the way through FA (I believe them to be Safety and OLB/DE).

You understand that Gutekunst is the one signing free agents, don't you???

Reaction score
You understand that Gutekunst is the one signing free agents, don't you???

I apologize, I guess I’m just ready to get that 1st round Offensive player out of the way before the decade is over. This team will be a success just showing it’s moving into a new direction and I’ll give the waterboy a hug if we go heavy Offense this draft. I feel like it’s that important to our success. Notice I said “heavy” not exclusively.
But good point, you are exactly right. I do hope LaFleur convinces our GM how important it is to encircle Aaron Rodgers with talent and protect Gutenkunsts largest investment.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then we can cut the Clay project and concentrate on a formidable SECOND pass rusher round 1 and a slew of Offense early and often in the draft.

That's one approach but you do realize that to get 2 elite players at those positions it is going to cost a lot of money right? That's fine and I am not saying I disagree. I even like the idea of getting proven vets at needed positions but there are risks involved with going after the top rated (if that's what you equate with elite) FA prospects. they will be expensive and maybe over valued depending on demand.

It certainly would give us much more options during the draft and It would be a big relief knowing you wouldn't be depending on rookies to make that huge contribution right off the bat.

D

Deleted member 6794

I do hope LaFleur convinces our GM how important it is to encircle Aaron Rodgers with talent and protect Gutenkunsts largest investment.

While LaFleur will most likely have an input on roster decision I'm confident Gutekunst feels the need to improve the offense even with talking to the head coach.

Members online

Latest posts