What should the Packers do in the 1st round?

What should the Packers do in the 1st round?

• Total voters
OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get the point man. But my take on OLB is based purely on talent. If we get Raji, we need to get Sintim on 2nd, maybe English or Cushing if they fall that low. If we get Orakpo or Brown, we can get Ron Brace on 2nd. I think Orakpo and Brown are more talented than Raji, and I think Brace is better than Sintim, in their respective position. To sum up, Orakpo/Brown + Brace > Raji + Sintim/Cushing/English, at least i think...

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Correct, obviously a lot of choices disappear once we've spent the #9 pick.

Your spock logic isn't wrong, I just have my preference - which I probably won't get.
The Raiders will grab Raji and he'll go to waste for three years before FA gets him outta the Black Hole.

I'm pretty high on Orakpo, as well. Others prefer to see if grabbing Suggs in FA is an option.
('sides, Orakpa rhymes with Go Pack Go.... gosh Andy, can I have my bullet back?)

Anyways.... It's nice to see some intelligent debate here. I haven't been around many websites in the last year or so, due to workload at the Office. Plus what I do during regular season. I tend to stay away from the sneer & smear sites as only juveniles habitate there.

I'll try and finish my Wish List and bring that back.

PS: The Everette Brown pick makes my neck itch, what with the others who came from that very same College..... the paper trail leaves a lot to be desired. Orakpo is probably the better option just on that note alone. Also agree with the Brace comment. He is the OTHER Boston College NT I was referring to.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
Correct, obviously a lot of choices disappear once we've spent the #9 pick.

Your spock logic isn't wrong, I just have my preference - which I probably won't get.
The Raiders will grab Raji and he'll go to waste for three years before FA gets him outta the Black Hole.

I'm pretty high on Orakpo, as well. Others prefer to see if grabbing Suggs in FA is an option.
('sides, Orakpa rhymes with Go Pack Go.... gosh Andy, can I have my bullet back?)

Anyways.... It's nice to see some intelligent debate here. I haven't been around many websites in the last year or so, due to workload at the Office. Plus what I do during regular season. I tend to stay away from the sneer & smear sites as only juveniles habitate there.

I'll try and finish my Wish List and bring that back.

PS: The Everette Brown pick makes my neck itch, what with the others who came from that very same College..... the paper trail leaves a lot to be desired. Orakpo is probably the better option just on that note alone. Also agree with the Brace comment. He is the OTHER Boston College NT I was referring to.
I know he's from FSU. Also know he has struggled vs. the elite LT. But he just seems faster and smarter to me than Orakpo, don't know why... It's a gut feeling really.
And about Raji going to the Black Hole, I just have to disagree. His 40 time is too slow... Maybe Al Davis will select Malcolm Jenkins and put HIM at DT... :D

Andy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
B.J. Raji or Brian Orakpo would be my pick if they were available, just like the survey indicates. Probably Raji first if BOTH are available, because everything starts in the trenches, especially in a 3-4 defense.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
McShay had Raji and Everette Brown going in the top 5 the last time I saw him on ESPN. If that means anything to any of you.

Orakpo seems most realistic right now, unless he pulls a Mario Williams and has just an electric combine.

tbaier

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not convinced that we need to address CB's right now, i think that Harris and Woodson have a couple good years left in them. I really like Brian Cushing at OLB from USC. He's got great speed to the ball and he flies around the field.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Aaron rodgers is god said:
The question is would u still pick these guys if we get a solid fee agency which will probablyhappen because tt's wallet is finnaly open
I'm not convinced TT is any more open to free agents this year than he was last year. Who's he going to sign? Suggs was franchised today, Peppers will likely be franchised tomorrow according to John Clayton. And even if his wallet is open, Haynesworth is going to cost way way too much, so he's out too. I don't see him spending much at all.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jess said:
Aaron rodgers is god said:
The question is would u still pick these guys if we get a solid fee agency which will probablyhappen because tt's wallet is finnaly open
I'm not convinced TT is any more open to free agents this year than he was last year. Who's he going to sign? Suggs was franchised today, Peppers will likely be franchised tomorrow according to John Clayton. And even if his wallet is open, Haynesworth is going to cost way way too much, so he's out too. I don't see him spending much at all.
The most probable options for TT are Canty or Olshansky, Vernon Carey, Jahri Evans, Jason Brown are all good players, but wouldn't change our 1st round pick. Gabe Watson would be an option, but as an restricted free agent, he might just cost too much for TT. If they tag Peppers, Gross would be an expensive option, and the only one that would change our 1st round.

But my point in making this poll is to see what the fans feel about our team needs and about the value of the prospects...

boisenjm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also if we pick up a decent LB like Bart Scott or somebody then that basically takes guys like Orakpo and other LB types out of the mix at number 9. No matter how they do it (FA or through the draft) I would like to see another top notch LB picked up, a decent DE (fingers crossed that we get Tyson Jackson somehow) as well as possible depth or upgrade at the NT.

hitking2456

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bart Scott is a good option and so is that Canty guy from Dallas.

I'm hesitant though about any of these choices at #9. I'm from Central PA, so Aaron Maybin is all the rage there, but the thing about him is, no one ever heard of him up until this year. I don't think that one year is enough to prove yourself.

Orakpo worries me too. I say we go down and take Clay Matthews who has the pedigree or we take Cushing. I feel like they are solid bets at outside.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hitking2456 said:
I say we go down and take Clay Matthews who has the pedigree or we take Cushing. I feel like they are solid bets at outside.

The names you suggest are very tempting but look at what GB already has as options at LB:

1) Barnett
2) Hawk
3) Chillar
4) Poppinga
5) Bishop
6) Havner
7) Lansanah

The newly appointed LBs due to the switch to the 3-4:

1) Kampman
2) Hunter
3) Thompson
4) Montgomery

Matthews & Cushing won't make it out of Round One so for the Pack to acquire one or the other would require another first round selection at LB, not a likely option even if TT trades out of the the 9th spot.

The combo of size & speed that Malcolm Jenkins possesses makes him a legitimate choice at the 9th spot for GB's def. secondary. Even with needs at D-lineman, the age factor at CB makes for Jenkins being a better choice in this draft.

In my opinion if TT doesn't take Jenkins then any of the top 3 OTs or Raji will be the pick.

A trade-down can't be ruled out either since TT may see enough value around pick #20 to get a high-quality DE or OT & make a trade with DET. DET needs two Top Ten picks & TT is just the guy to let them have it, at a big cost though, probably switching positions in round 2 & giving up a 5th or 6th.

Reaction score
Honestly i think we are fine with are defense now we just needed a new coordinator and the right staff to teach them how to play their positions right. Plus we had plenty of people injured or was having a bad year. I don't think we should go all out and get defense in the beginning of the draft . this draft is supposed to be filled with defense so theirs plenty of choices in different rounds etc. I think we should get the best player out there besides cb i dont think its necessary to get 1 yet. Id pick a tackle first because those gret pass blockers go fast. epically in the first round i think we should get Eugene Monroe. Are Linebacker squad Kampmon barnett hawk and poppinga. i dont think we need rajj or orkapo. If u think about MM says Pickett is a naturall Nt and i think he can do alright at it but when i look at rajj on his clips hes babying people on terrible teams the highest rank team i saw him do good against was Vt. Orkapo we definitlety dont need we dont need another outside rushing linebacker that will have trouble covering. so i say take eugene first then take the best rated lb or d line in 2nd round and same for 3rd rounds

flyguy4ever4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right now, I pick Maybin clear cut. He fits perfect as an attack upfield Olb which we need. I love Orapko but I don't know if he has the mobility to be a 3-4 Olb, more of a prototype 4-3 def end. I go Maybin unless one of the offensive tackles is available at #9 and you think he is a plug in right away and a lock starter for next decade.

freefromwhatyouare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Orakpo has a lot of downside. While he was a very good pass-rusher in college at times he may get lost in blocks more in the NFL. He is also somewhat injury prone.

Not a great draft to pick lineman on either side of the ball.

To pick one of the lineman/linebackers available at number 9 would certainly qualify as a reach pick. Raji is top tackle in a very weak group. He is not worthy of a number 9 selection.

If you stay pat at number nine and Malcolm Jenkins falls your way it would not only not be a reach to take him, but a move I think you would be celebrating for many years to come.

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pickett would be fine at noseguard, but he can't play every down. That's why we need Raji or an experienced DT to spell him.

freefromwhatyouare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This isn't the draft to find first year starting impact linemen. The point here being who to take in the first round. The reality is that Raji or the other "top linemen" in this draft wouldn't be first year impact players IMO and many others. You would be better off re-signing Colin Cole because I feel you would get more production out of him over any of these possible 2009 draft linemen.

There also isn't a lot of talent in the free agent pool for linemen or any other position for that matter. I think Bart Scott would be a nice pick-up but that's about all free-agency is going to get you this year. Possibly Bart and maybe one other player. Many say "sign free agents..sign free agents!!!" There is few available that fits what the Packers are looking for. And there has not been since Ted Thompson has been running the show. Thank God he didn't listen to the bar-stool GM's and just go out and sign to sign people.

Ted is right when he says...."This isn't the fantasy football league that some fans think it is"

This bar-stool GM says take Malcolm Jenkins if he's there with the first pick.

Aa-rodg_is_cool

Cheesehead
Reaction score
billv said:
Pickett would be fine at noseguard, but he can't play every down. That's why we need Raji or an experienced DT to spell him.

Do you really wanna pick Raji at #9 If all he's gonna be doin is backin up pickett??.. I say pick up Malcom Jenkins if hes still there.. Cause both of our corners are 30 plus.. Im not sayin they cant still play by no means but that time might be closer then you think, thats why Id take jenkins in a heartbeat if he was still there when its GBs turn to pick

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would not go with Everette Brown - have you read the history of guys coming from FSU into the NFL? That's one heckuva monkey to get off your back. And, what type of Coaching Staff does he end up with WILL be the major contributing factor. Certainly, Capers would be a plus. Yet, I think the four-letter is giving the guy waay too much hype. What about off-the-field issues?

I've been watching the ticker-comments from Mike Mayock - some were eye-openers.

My preference is any one of the top 4 nose-tackles; Orakpo; Alex Mack (can play either Center or Guard); Shipley looked fairly good in the Combine workouts, yesterday. Can't think of his name, but one in the Tackles group looked like he was all set to be a Vikings, with way his beard was cut. (LOL)

I'm looking at what the other teams are projecting as their biggest need, then erase each player from the Draft rating so as to see who would potentially be left to choose from when #9 comes around.

I saw several were pushing that TT should trade down (to #20?) but I would NOT do that. We're more assured of getting the better player at #9 - even if Ted reaches down to grab who he wants - there's no harm in grabbing a draftee that way. We already have (what) 9 picks. No doubt, TT will make that grow to a higher number. Just don't think he should do it with the #9 pick.

freefromwhatyouare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know many here have their ******* in a bunch about getting linemen out of this draft. You will get pretty much the same talent in the second as you would in first. Raji is tops in a bad year for linemen. Raji is not seen as a first year impact player. I see him as 6' nothing and getting blown by by quicker taller DT's. The Packers can't afford a project DT when using a top ten pick.

I will promise you that Ted Thompson being the draft genius he is will not be taking a DL with the #9 pick.

IPBprez,

I agree with staying at number 9 unless you get some great deal like moving down only a few spots while gaining a second round pick. I like staying at #9. You've got 4 picks in the first 3 rounds already.

Many fans are also not familiar with Capers 3-4 defense and are getting too caught up in "what players fit what"

Capers will be running more of a hybrid 3-4 where you will see a lot of things that look just like and are just like a 4-3 defense. This isn't like re-inventing the wheel. A lot of times next year you will see 4 men at the line of scrimmage just like a conventional 4-3.

With that #9 you need to find a first year impact starter. You are not finding that along either line at #9.

flyguy4ever4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why take Raji for super millions when you can get his team mate at BC Ron Brace or Terance Taylor from Michigan in round 2 or 3 for much less risk and dollars. I like Raji somewhat but I watched him get single blocked quite a bit during senior bowl. Shoot rather have Mitch King in the fourth round who will turn out to be a steal. I guess I chose Maybin because I feel he brings the highest ceiling, think he can become a James Harrison type guy down the road. Upside, Upside!!!

flyguy4ever4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What about the possible scenario after recent events at the combine, where Andre Smith slides down and is sitting there at #9. This is after all a guy who has been viewed as a top one or two pick in the draft for a long time. GB could slap him right in at starting RT and have a powerhouse in the run game like they have never really had. Think TT would pull the trigger on him???

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
flyguy4ever4 said:
What about the possible scenario after recent events at the combine, where Andre Smith slides down and is sitting there at #9. This is after all a guy who has been viewed as a top one or two pick in the draft for a long time. GB could slap him right in at starting RT and have a powerhouse in the run game like they have never really had. Think TT would pull the trigger on him???
If we get Andre Smith out of this draft... well... let's just say i've never been able to do a cartwheel before, but I think i'll be able to pull it off after that pick. That's the best possible scenario, me thinks.

Members online

Latest posts