What scouts said about Rodgers

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Or, this famous prediction:

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
- Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943​
To be fair, back in 1943 computers were the size's of houses. They also never envisioned them being hooked up to a video screen.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
The lack of vision was exactly my point. What's yours?
Not fair in the 'Lack of vision" department either. The person who made the statement grew in a whole different world than we did. So his frame of reference was way different. That is like saying he should have been able to predict the invention of the transistor and the integrated circuit. Both which made the computer smaller, faster and more available. 70 years from now people will be complaining about our lack of vision for what they see as commonplace.

Can you predict what computers will be like 70 years from now? Or the technology that will make them run? Thought not. So, is it lack of vision, or lack of knowing the future technology?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think they had a very good idea what they had in Rodgers by the end of the 2007 season. It started early:
"His rookie minicamp, that's the best performance of any draft choice I've ever seen," said Seattle general manager John Schneider, who was a personnel analyst for the Packers then. "He was phenomenal."
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/115387274.html
So there was obviously physical talent to work with, but he certainly had his struggles in his rookie season. I remember reading stories about how by his second season he’d **** off the first team D when he was running the scout team – and he pissed off some of the vets on the scout team who were giving less than 100% effort. From the link above:
Through his actions, and not his words, Rodgers began to earn the respect of his teammates. He became known for his competitiveness in practice and unwillingness to accept anything less than full effort. "I remember when Aaron used to pick us apart, pick that defense apart because he was so good at it," Driver said. "When he decided to use his feet, it was like, 'OK, this is practice, you can't run.' When he felt pressure, he took off. When he didn't, he sat in the pocket and threw the ball."I think that's when I realized he was going to be a great player. He just needed his opportunity."
His championship belt celebration began when he would lead the scout team to a big play – he was trying to motivate the other “scrubs”.
"Just trying to have fun with it," said Rodgers. "A lot of times, you have guys who do not want to be any part of that, they're maybe not giving the same kind of effort, so you have to do something. If it means me being goofy and doing silly celebrations, so be it. That one kind of stuck, guys liked it…”
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/115071294.html
The Dallas game in 2007 just confirmed what they were seeing in practice. BTW, that's when I first thought they had something in Rodgers.

Why did they draft Brohm and Flynn in the 2008 draft? Because the previous year the QBs were Favre, Rodgers and Craig Nall. Nall wasn’t deemed good enough to retain – he didn’t get picked up by an NFL team until November, 2008 and was released about a month later, never to play in the NFL again. So, going into the 2008 season the Packers had one QB. They obviously missed badly on Brohm but my guess is they weren’t alone evaluating him that highly. The plan was probably to have Brohm back up Rodgers and Flynn be the #3 guy. I don't think it was lack of confidence in Rodgers.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Not fair in the 'Lack of vision" department either. The person who made the statement grew in a whole different world than we did. So his frame of reference was way different. That is like saying he should have been able to predict the invention of the transistor and the integrated circuit. Both which made the computer smaller, faster and more available. 70 years from now people will be complaining about our lack of vision for what they see as commonplace.

Can you predict what computers will be like 70 years from now? Or the technology that will make them run? Thought not. So, is it lack of vision, or lack of knowing the future technology?

Geez, you are in a feisty mood today, Raptorman. All I was doing was quoting one of the most commonly referenced "bad predictions" of modern time.

Thomas Watson built a powerhouse in IBM, but it was based on his sales and financial genius. He is typically not described as a visionary on technology- as perhaps evidenced by his statement. If you wish to defend Mr. Watson's remark, be my guest.

And, to answer your last question: It is lack of vision. There have been plenty of visionaries throughout history and, as far as I know, none of them knew the future.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or, this famous prediction:

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
- Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943​

I like this one as well.

"Stock prices have reached what looks like a permanently high plateau."- Irving Fisher, October 21, 1929

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

Well, Steve Jobs sure had a lot of vision and predicted some things way before their time, thus becoming the mogul he was. There are some people who have a real knack for seeing things as they will become and there are some folks who have demonstrated an obvious lack for the same. Some of these quotes crack me up, for instance.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what's equally amusing is GB picks this guy from a JC college to fill Favre's role? I remember seeing this guy on the sidelines when the cameras caught a glimpse of him and thinking to myself, "this loser needs to go." I have eaten crow ever since.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I recall reading an article mentioning that the Packers coaching staff was confident in Rodgers' talent level after coaching the NFC in the Pro Bowl after the 2007 season.

Still, selecting Brohm in the second round makes me wonder if the front office really was convinced about Rodgers being the long-term answer at that point.

Brohm could have simply been their highest rated guy.

Sky King

Reaction score
Thomas Watson was also asked what made IBM so successful. To paraphrase, he described the IBM environment as being like a flock of "wild ducks." When asked to explain he said that wild ducks may squabble and peck at each other on the ground but in the air they fly in formation.

Kind of like this forum.

D

Deleted member 6794

what's equally amusing is GB picks this guy from a JC college to fill Favre's role?

While Rodgers played one season at Butte Community College the Packers drafted him out of California where he played two years for the Golden Bears.

Brohm could have simply been their highest rated guy.

That was most likely the case. The same front office people that picked Rodgers were convinced that Brohm would turn into a decent NFL QB. Just one example of why some of you shouldn´t be that harsh on scouts being completely wrong about a prospect while talking to a reporter.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
At the risk of raising the ire of Raptorman ;), here are some more bad predictions:

• "Everything that can be invented has been invented." -- Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, US Patent Office, 1899
  • "640K ought to be enough for anybody." -- Bill Gates, Chairman, Microsoft, 1981
  • "The bomb will never go off. I speak as an expert in explosives." -- Admiral William Leahy, Manhattan Project, 1943

And to get back on topic of football, here is one more:

• "We want the ball, and we're gonna score." -- Matt Hasselback, Seattle Seahawks, 2003

Members online

Latest posts