What scouts said about Rodgers

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AFC scout: "He's a system quarterback. 3-, 5-, 7-step guy. Can't create on his own. Panics under pressure. Gets flustered easy.

R-E-L-A-X.

And then make him eat his words. Literally, I say. Print them out, mush it up with a bit of water. Some salt and pepper and feed it down his throat with a funnel.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Akili Smith, Kyle Boller, and Joey Harrington have got to be kicking themselves since they were arguably better than Rodgers heading into 2005!

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Kind of reminds me of those all management blunders like the executive who wouldn't sponsor the Beatles because "guitar music is on its way out". :roflmao:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had concerns too, after the first preseason, heck, even his first 2 preseasons I wasn't sure he was ever going to amount to much. By his 3rd though I started coming around.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had concerns too, after the first preseason, heck, even his first 2 preseasons I wasn't sure he was ever going to amount to much. By his 3rd though I started coming around.
Ok these were early observations. That's understandable. I didn't like the way he held the ball at Cal, up high right next to his ear. He benefitted from MM's QB school, watching Favre (the great and not so great) and finally, not having to start year 1. He may have not made it if he had to start in the NFL right out of Cal. His genius has always been a work in progress and to his credit, still is. I do believe we may be watching the best QB to ever play the game. Needs another SB or two and another two MVPs. Not hard to see that happen. But TT, pleeeeez, get him some defensive help next year at ILB and D line. Even if it means (gasp) free agency!!!! Think "Reggie White".

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok these were early observations. That's understandable. I didn't like the way he held the ball at Cal, up high right next to his ear. He benefitted from MM's QB school, watching Favre (the great and not so great) and finally, not having to start year 1. He may have not made it if he had to start in the NFL right out of Cal. His genius has always been a work in progress and to his credit, still is. I do believe we may be watching the best QB to ever play the game. Needs another SB or two and another two MVPs. Not hard to see that happen. But TT, pleeeeez, get him some defensive help next year at ILB and D line. Even if it means (gasp) free agency!!!! Think "Reggie White".

Over the past 10 years how many free agent defensive players have made a Reggie white impact for the team that signed them? I can think of 1, and Ted signed him.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You mean sign guys like Peppers and Guion?

I don't know if you've been watching lately though since the D line has been great.

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked the scout who said that he panics under pressure. He is so patient back there and scrambles until he can make a smart throw. Here's a scouting report for you:

When Rodgers is under pressure, I panic.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You mean sign guys like Peppers and Guion?

I don't know if you've been watching lately though since the D line has been great.
I think it's fair to say it's a good D. Not great. I used Reggie White as an example of how FA can help a team. The entire D is going to have to learn to play 60 minutes though. And yes about Guion and Peppers, but Peppers has a year or two left, and maybe you'd compare Guion to Reggie. Not me.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Over the past 10 years how many free agent defensive players have made a Reggie white impact for the team that signed them? I can think of 1, and Ted signed him.
That was my point, thanks for helping me. I think he needs to go back into FA for help with ILB and Dline next year, after he resigns Daniels, who is the only player on that line of elite caliber. I'm ok with the way the D is playing, but they must learn it's a 60 minute game. This D, without consistent performance for an entire game, rather than three quarters like Monday, or 55 minutes in the NFCCG, will not get ARod and Co. to Santa Clara, unless they buy them tickets to the game.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What finally sold me on him was the 2007 game against the Cowboys. Favre was having a rough game, and we were getting blown out. Rodgers comes in after Favre's elbow injury and made it respectable. I will always recall Cris Collinsworth saying upon Rodgers' entry to the game that Favre needed to get healthy quick because "The Green Bay Packers aren't going to win many games with Aaron Rodgers at quarterback." Not quite Cris, not quite.

D

Deleted member 6794

To be fair it seems that even the Packers front office wasn't convinced that Rodgers will be a quality starter in the NFL when Favre retired in the spring of 2008. How else would you explain Thompson selecting Brian Brohm in the second round that year?

D

Deleted member 6794

But TT, pleeeeez, get him some defensive help next year at ILB and D line. Even if it means (gasp) free agency!!!! Think "Reggie White".

The Packers will have to make some tough decisions to make on the defensive line with all three starters in base set for free agency. I would like to upgrade the inside linebacker position as well but free agency is probably not the way to go next offseason with Derrick Johnson (who will be 33 years old) and Rolando McClain (who has some huge character flaws) being the best players available.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair it seems that even the Packers front office wasn't convinced that Rodgers will be a quality starter in the NFL when Favre retired in the spring of 2008. How else would you explain Thompson selecting Brian Brohm in the second round that year?
My understanding is they were well aware of what they had and even bragged about it at the pro bowl after the 07 season.

Selecting brohm I guess might of had to do with injuries, depth, and where they had him on the draft board.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will always recall Cris Collinsworth saying upon Rodgers' entry to the game that Favre needed to get healthy quick because "The Green Bay Packers aren't going to win many games with Aaron Rodgers at quarterback." Not quite Cris, not quite.
I remember a lot about that game, but not this quote. However, as I read it I could actually hear Collinsworth saying it. It's scary how common this stuff spews out of his mouth that it's actually recognizable!

D

Deleted member 6794

My understanding is they were well aware of what they had and even bragged about it at the pro bowl after the 07 season.

Selecting brohm I guess might of had to do with injuries, depth, and where they had him on the draft board.

I recall reading an article mentioning that the Packers coaching staff was confident in Rodgers' talent level after coaching the NFC in the Pro Bowl after the 2007 season.

Still, selecting Brohm in the second round makes me wonder if the front office really was convinced about Rodgers being the long-term answer at that point.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I recall reading an article mentioning that the Packers coaching staff was confident in Rodgers' talent level after coaching the NFC in the Pro Bowl after the 2007 season.

Still, selecting Brohm in the second round makes me wonder if the front office really was convinced about Rodgers being the long-term answer at that point.
I'm more curious on how they had such a high grade on such a bad player

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm curious how many fans ripping scouts thought Rodgers was going to be even close to what he has become after completing his first Packer Training camp and then preseason? I know I didn't. I didn't think he was a scrub, but at that point i figured there was as much evidence he would not do anything as there would he'd make it. Of course that all changed by year 3, but I think most people that say the knew it from the start are just lying :)

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Kind of reminds me of those all management blunders like the executive who wouldn't sponsor the Beatles because "guitar music is on its way out". :roflmao:
Or, this famous prediction:

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
- Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943​

Members online

Latest posts