What positions will be the focus in the 2013 draft?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's look at the simple stat of which Quaterback was sacked most in the league. Aaron Rodgers was sacked 51 times and he is a mobile quaterback. Phillip Rivers was #2 and he was sacked 49 times. If we did not have a mobile/elusive quarterback it would be 75-80 sacks... Greenbay has one of (if not the best) QB in the game. Need insurance for him. Our offensive line is one of the worst in the league evidance by the sacks and the sub par run game. It clearly shows we need O-line help. Plus picking late in the draft what is always there? Probowl caliber Guards and Centers. Go get the road grader in the first round.

Barret Jones (if available) won the Outland trophy for best OT (2011), the Rimington for best C (2012), and he won the Campbell Trophy (2012) for the Best and Brightest Football player. He is smart, strong, and could play Center, Guard, or RT. Watch the natioanl championship game and pay attention to Center Barret Jones for Alabama.

Rd 2 = Safety
Rd 3 = WR or Guard

I'm I being greedy and unrealistic if I'd love to see TT trade/do whatever he can to have both Barret JOnes from the NC game but also Manti? ;) ! Would be epic haha!

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Let's look at the simple stat of which Quaterback was sacked most in the league. Aaron Rodgers was sacked 51 times and he is a mobile quaterback. Phillip Rivers was #2 and he was sacked 49 times. If we did not have a mobile/elusive quarterback it would be 75-80 sacks... Greenbay has one of (if not the best) QB in the game. Need insurance for him. Our offensive line is one of the worst in the league evidance by the sacks and the sub par run game. It clearly shows we need O-line help. Plus picking late in the draft what is always there? Probowl caliber Guards and Centers. Go get the road grader in the first round.

Barret Jones (if available) won the Outland trophy for best OT (2011), the Rimington for best C (2012), and he won the Campbell Trophy (2012) for the Best and Brightest Football player. He is smart, strong, and could play Center, Guard, or RT. Watch the natioanl championship game and pay attention to Center Barret Jones for Alabama.

Rd 2 = Safety
Rd 3 = WR or Guard
I've ignored it all season because of his versatility, but I actually watched the tape on Jones the other day and can't say he is a quality Center. He's too slow off the snap, I officially peg him a Guard.

Lang and Sitton are our Guards and there is nothing you me or anybody else can do about it except deal with it, both are inked as our starters until 2017. If we draft anybody at Guard it will be for depth because we decided to keep Barclay at backup T, which I don't think we'll do.

Safety could go RD 1

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I'm I being greedy and unrealistic if I'd love to see TT trade/do whatever he can to have both Barret JOnes from the NC game but also Manti? ;) ! Would be epic haha!
Completely unrealistic, Manti will probably go top 5 and at worst top 15. That's a lot of points to trade up.

The Boatman

@JB3LL
Reaction score
we need someone to to replace pickett, and we need a lineman. I don't know if they want to go jones, if they aren't sold on EDS. i am not. I think he's decent, but i don't think he's good enough to think he has the job locked down. they could go tackle, if they don't think sherrod is going to make it back, and aren't sold on newhouse. I also think newhouse is okay, but i'd feel a lot more comfortbale with a LT that i don't have to worry about. i like EDS as a guy that can cover positions, but not as a starter. we also need a guy that's going to take over for pickett. Neal is coming on, worthy is young, but one more guy couldn't hurt.

Packerboy95

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rd.1: Barrett Jones OL, Xavier Rhodes/Jonathan Banks CB, Eric Reid FS/Matt Elam SS, Dion Jordan DE any of these guys
Rd.2: Deandre Hopkins Wr( if we lose Jennings), Eddie Lacy/ Monte Ball RB, Margus Hunt DE, Zach Hertz TE any of them
Rd.3: Jordan Poyer CB, Stephan Taylor RB, Best Guard OLB MLB DT on board
Rd.4: Jonathan Franklin RB, Kenjon Barner RB if they haven't drafted a running back yet or OL
Rd.5: anything
Rd.6: Dustin Hopkins K
Rd.7: anything

The Boatman

@JB3LL
Reaction score
Rd.1: Barrett Jones OL, Xavier Rhodes/Jonathan Banks CB, Eric Reid FS/Matt Elam SS, Dion Jordan DE any of these guys
Rd.2: Deandre Hopkins Wr( if we lose Jennings), Eddie Lacy/ Monte Ball RB, Margus Hunt DE, Zach Hertz TE any of them
Rd.4: Jonathan Franklin RB, Kenjon Barner RB if they haven't drafted a running back yet or OL

i'm not a big dion jordan fan, he has potential but I really haven't seen him dominate a game. seems like a workout warrior, but never translates. I don't think we need a CB. we have williams and hayward both who are good. shield is decent. i wouldn't use a 1st rounder on depth unless a top guy falls. OL, or S i can see. i don't know if we'll go WR in the 2nd, again, unless it's a steal because we have SO much depth there. I'm not a monte ball fan. WIS RB's haven't translated and I wouldn't risk that if Lacy was available. I love Lacy, but with how much we don't run the ball a really good RB isn't necessary. Harris was plugged in and has done well. I'm not saying he's the future, i'm saying anyone can play RB for the packers. I like how you have RB's in the 3rd or 4th depending if they get one. We're all fairly certain they get one and if we waited until the 4th and got franklin i would not be upset about that! Overall, i don't mind this mock. Just a couple things I disagreed with, but i'm not TT so who knows?

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya I'm not sold on Dion Jordan, Monte Ball, or Kenjon Barner. We especially have no need for Barner. The guy is not the type of back we need, especially with Harris. We need a two down power back. That's why I like Lacy. I like Hopkins a lot, but I like other wide outs better. I especially like Terrence Williams and Da'Rick Rogers(even though he has off field issues).

*Keenan Allen would be great, but I'm concerned about the injuries. He's the best route runner in the draft though. That's what we will really miss if we lose jennings.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Fox (Harris) has good vision, which is really the keys to the car in our system, Green makes a good 3rd down back, and if we really want to compliment Fox, a good power back to take some of the heat off him is a must. I like a few of the guys this year who would compliment well. Even Bell and his cement feet would work.

Packerboy95

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm not a big dion jordan fan, he has potential but I really haven't seen him dominate a game. seems like a workout warrior, but never translates. I don't think we need a CB. we have williams and hayward both who are good. shield is decent. i wouldn't use a 1st rounder on depth unless a top guy falls. OL, or S i can see. i don't know if we'll go WR in the 2nd, again, unless it's a steal because we have SO much depth there. I'm not a monte ball fan. WIS RB's haven't translated and I wouldn't risk that if Lacy was available. I love Lacy, but with how much we don't run the ball a really good RB isn't necessary. Harris was plugged in and has done well. I'm not saying he's the future, i'm saying anyone can play RB for the packers. I like how you have RB's in the 3rd or 4th depending if they get one. We're all fairly certain they get one and if we waited until the 4th and got franklin i would not be upset about that! Overall, i don't mind this mock. Just a couple things I disagreed with, but i'm not TT so who knows?
I wish Casey Hayward was the number 2 but they only ouse him in the slot that's why I would want a corner in the 1st round to be the number 2 corner over Sam shields and Shields can be a great depth guy

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quinton Patton, Louisiana Tech is another intriguing prospect. The guy has made some circus catches and runs great routes. Even one of the top prospects of Mississippi State(SEC) said he was the hardest of all receivers he's ever had to cover.
Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee is a physical beast and he could be an elite receiver, but he's super raw.

Along with Terrence Williams. These are the 3 guys I'd like to target as wide receiver.

The Boatman

@JB3LL
Reaction score
I wish Casey Hayward was the number 2 but they only ouse him in the slot that's why I would want a corner in the 1st round to be the number 2 corner over Sam shields and Shields can be a great depth guy

fairly certain the only reason he's in the slot now is because he's a rookie. he's the future no.2 and I think he'll be the no.2 next year. shields and house will battle it out for the no.3 and 4

The Boatman

@JB3LL
Reaction score
Quinton Patton, Louisiana Tech is another intriguing prospect. The guy has made some circus catches and runs great routes. Even one of the top prospects of Mississippi State(SEC) said he was the hardest of all receivers he's ever had to cover.
Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee is a physical beast and he could be an elite receiver, but he's super raw.

Along with Terrence Williams. These are the 3 guys I'd like to target as wide receiver.

Patterson seems eerily similar to brian quick. i have no problem with "projects" but i don't see why waste a top pick for guy who we won't see that return on for a couple years, when you can get a guy who is possibly a tad less skilled, but far more polished. a project should be taken no earlier than the 4th round.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
fairly certain the only reason he's in the slot now is because he's a rookie. he's the future no.2 and I think he'll be the no.2 next year. shields and house will battle it out for the no.3 and 4
Pretty sure they'll keep him slot, and eventually move him to the outside when Tramon leaves. Shields IS the #2, and House will be stuck on #4

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is an interesting question. A lot of it depends on if/how people come back from injuries. If Brian Bulaga and Derrick Sherrod come back, the need for a first round OT isn't as serious. The interior of the offense line needs depth. A center or center/guard combo would be a wise investment. Typically, interior linemen could be found outside of the first round. If Finely sticks around and Ryan Williams develops, TE becomes less of a need. It is a 99% certainty that Greg Jennings is gone this offseason. A first-round WR might be the wisest investment. Running back is a weakness, but Ted Thompson doesn't seem in a rush to fix the problem. DaJuan Harris has been strong as of late, but under-sized street free-agents don't always ask long.

The defensive line has depth assuming Worthy heals from the knee injury. Worthy, Raji, Daniels, Pickett and Wilson form a very good rotation. Linebacker is a HUGE question mark outside of Clay Mathews. Will AJ Hawk be waived due to his salary? Will Nick Perry recover from the wrist injury and actually learn how to play OLB? Desmond Bishop's return will be a big boost for the run game. The secondary is young and deep. Williams, Shields, Hayward, House, Jennings, McMillan and Burnett can all play... and well.

My wish list:

1) WR (1st or 2nd round)
2) OG/C (2nd/3rd round) and again in the later rounds
3) RB (2nd/3rd round)
4) OLB (3rd/4th round)
5) DL (later rounds)
5) K

If I had to throw out a name, RB Eddie Lacey looked damn good in the National Title Game.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this will be another year of adding to the defense. We know at the very least with Aaron Rodgers and the talent we have on that side of the ball we'll be top 10 again. But from year to year this defense has been each extreme. That being said it will be more balanced then last year. At this point it's totally a guess as we're quite a ways away yet. And I won't even bother guessing individual players until after The Combine as even then with Thompson's strategy it's very hard to guess.

1.-ILB
2.-WR
3.-CB
4.-G
5.-DL
6.- K
7.-TE

After looking at that it seems kind of late for an offensive lineman, but really with a bunch of guys coming back from injuries and more that stepped up this year, I'm not really sure where you plug a new one in. Thompson's had a great history of taking WR's in the 2nd round. I think that continues. We haven't taken an inside linebacker early in the draft in a long time. With Hawk getting older and being unsure after Bishop's and D.J's injuries. And lack of elite productivity even before that. I think Thompson still wants to help the middle of that defense. If defenses want to go deep force them to run down the sideline. I'm not sure about Raji's contract situation and Pickett's getting up there in years. Could use another guy on the D-line. And Tramon has really been inconsistent the past 2 years. Another CB can't hurt. A Kicker to bring in some competition for Crosby?

Oh and to round it out a TE at the bottom of the draft. Cuz that seems like something random Ted would take a flyer on there at the end.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this will be another year of adding to the defense. We know at the very least with Aaron Rodgers and the talent we have on that side of the ball we'll be top 10 again. But from year to year this defense has been each extreme. That being said it will be more balanced then last year. At this point it's totally a guess as we're quite a ways away yet. And I won't even bother guessing individual players until after The Combine as even then with Thompson's strategy it's very hard to guess.

1.-ILB
2.-WR
3.-CB
4.-G
5.-DL
6.- K
7.-TE

After looking at that it seems kind of late for an offensive lineman, but really with a bunch of guys coming back from injuries and more that stepped up this year, I'm not really sure where you plug a new one in. Thompson's had a great history of taking WR's in the 2nd round. I think that continues. We haven't taken an inside linebacker early in the draft in a long time. With Hawk getting older and being unsure after Bishop's and D.J's injuries. And lack of elite productivity even before that. I think Thompson still wants to help the middle of that defense. If defenses want to go deep force them to run down the sideline. I'm not sure about Raji's contract situation and Pickett's getting up there in years. Could use another guy on the D-line. And Tramon has really been inconsistent the past 2 years. Another CB can't hurt. A Kicker to bring in some competition for Crosby?

Oh and to round it out a TE at the bottom of the draft. Cuz that seems like something random Ted would take a flyer on there at the end.
I am not one to typically brag. But does this prediction not look good in contrast to last nights game?

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I am not one to typically brag. But does this prediction not look good in contrast to last nights game?
I utterly reject CB and suggest FS, G should be C/G, K should be last, TE should be higher, and DL should be switched with ILB. No RB?

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I utterly reject CB and suggest FS, G should be C/G, K should be last, TE should be higher, and DL should be switched with ILB. No RB?
I think the young duo of M.D Jennings and Jerron McMillian shouldn't be given up on yet at FS. They showed a lot of promise and improvement throughout the year. I think their play was actually superior to Tramon Williams play down the stretch near the end, which is why I valued them higher.

Ok. That's minor. But are you implying Aaron Rodgers is wrong about EDS at C?

Taking a Kicker in the 6th round is usually getting yourself a good kicker. If you wait to the late 7th, I think you might as well sign him undrafted which would be easier than to sign a TE undrafted.

We already have an influx of youth on the D line. Young high round guys at that. The inside linebacking core hasn't had a significant draft (or even FA for that matter) added to it since A.J Hawk came. 7 years ago! All the rest of the guys we've been plugging in there have been undrafted guys, low drafted guys and street FA's and it's starting to show. We pop a strong inside linebacker in there and you'd be surprised at how much better our run defense would be. Even our pass defense for that matter! (We haven't had a good pass defending linebacker since Brandon Chillar)

No running back. Seriously? This is asked every single year. To the point where it gets old. And even if it was, it would be late round. And I'm not sure if a late round pick would be better then-- Dajuan Harris, Cedric Benson, James Starks, Alex Green, Brandon Saine or Ryan Grant.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I think the young duo of M.D Jennings and Jerron McMillian shouldn't be given up on yet at FS. They showed a lot of promise and improvement throughout the year. I think their play was actually superior to Tramon Williams play down the stretch near the end, which is why I valued them higher.

Ok. That's minor. But are you implying Aaron Rodgers is wrong about EDS at C?

Taking a Kicker in the 6th round is usually getting yourself a good kicker. If you wait to the late 7th, I think you might as well sign him undrafted which would be easier than to sign a TE undrafted.

We already have an influx of youth on the D line. Young high round guys at that. The inside linebacking core hasn't had a significant draft (or even FA for that matter) added to it since A.J Hawk came. 7 years ago! All the rest of the guys we've been plugging in there have been undrafted guys, low drafted guys and street FA's and it's starting to show. We pop a strong inside linebacker in there and you'd be surprised at how much better our run defense would be. Even our pass defense for that matter! (We haven't had a good pass defending linebacker since Brandon Chillar)

No running back. Seriously? This is asked every single year. To the point where it gets old. And even if it was, it would be late round. And I'm not sure if a late round pick would be better then-- Dajuan Harris, Cedric Benson, James Starks, Alex Green, Brandon Saine or Ryan Grant.
Mcmillian is a SS, and I'm not as high on Doc as most. I admit he's performed somewhat admirably when called upon, I think the only reason he got the nod over Million was so the team could keep Burnett at SS.

Nothing of the sort, but with Saturday likely leaving and little to no tape on Van Roten, EDS needs a back-up.

Well its true I'd rather not waste the pick when you can sign decent UDFA kickers. Which is why I said TE should go higher than the 7, to make sure we get some quality.

I don't see Hawk or Bishop leaving any time soon, so I'd rather wait a year or two.

Benson and Grant might be gone, Starks and Kuhn might find their way to the street too. Harris is good, but needs back-up. Green is a great 3rd down guy, and Saine is more of an edge guy. We really need a thump back to get the most out of our stable, and there are some reasonable late round options.

Members online

Latest posts