What positions will be the focus in the 2013 draft?

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Better than Watt or Kerrigan?

...And if you're going to compare Simon to JJ, I think the more pertinent question is whether he puts up a second season like Watt's.

Both!! and as far as his second season? i hope he's a Packer and he puts up Watt's second season numbers!

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He may be a olb/mlb in the NFL.

I don't see a defensive lineman, even one with enough swivel to play OLB in the 3-4, moving to any of the other linebacker positions. Too much read-react instead of KILL KILL KILL like most college linemen are trained. And then there is pass coverage. Those positions are dropping about 90% of the time.

If he's a good rusher, stick him there. Don't put him at ILB.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this will be looked at a lot more seriously once we see how we do in the playoffs. As for positions, if it were up to me I'd, say a safety, O-Linemen (I'm not sure if I see this happening with TT), backup QB for starters.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
My first pick would be the best available LT that's out there. Newhouse needs to ride that pine or just be gone....since he couldn't cut it if he had a light saber.

Next would be a WR

Next would be best available DE

Next would be ILB ( bye bye brad jones and or Zombo, you suck )

Next, best available RB. I say we keep ced benson as the veteran the young guy can learn from and keep Harris as well.....we all know he have a RB injury bug that just cant seem to get exterminated.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
From the peanut gallery:
1st round: Lineman (LT, NT, DE)
2nd round: skill player (WR, TE, DB)
3rd round: Lineman (LT, NT, DE) [what we didn't get before]
4th round: DB / LB / RB
5th round: offense BPA (twice assuming comp pick here)
after that BPA
I don't foresee TT spending an early pick on an interior offensive lineman or a RB.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
My first pick would be the best available LT that's out there. Newhouse needs to ride that pine or just be gone....since he couldn't cut it if he had a light saber.

Next would be a WR

Next would be best available DE

Next would be ILB ( bye bye brad jones and or Zombo, you suck )

Next, best available RB. I say we keep ced benson as the veteran the young guy can learn from and keep Harris as well.....we all know he have a RB injury bug that just cant seem to get exterminated.
1. I have it on good authority that Sherrod would still be a first round talent in this draft, and from a different source that he has even higher upside than any of the guys in this year's draft. Pray he gets better, and its a free 1st round tackle prospect you're rewarded with.

2 WR would be nice, but we could wait a while down for a developmental guy.

3 Consider this, Worthy was an athlete, Daniels had technique, Daniels is the better pass rusher, but Wilson, who has little to no rush ability, starts. Why? We don't teach rush technique well, and we value run support more. If your boy can't stop the run, he'll ride the pine.

Zombo is an OLB, and for a fourth option, Jones isn't bad. Do you know how many teams would kill to have their third string as good as Jones? Add that he is solid on ST. He'll be a cheap re-sign, so no, they can't have him.

Make sure it's a power guy so if he doesn't work as a bellcow, he will at least fit the committee.

CheeseHusker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First 3 rounds: A stud offensive lineman, a running back, and an impact defensive player
Last 4 rounds: Another offensive lineman, a receiver, a defensive back, and a project player (backup QB?)

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
First 3 rounds: A stud offensive lineman, a running back, and an impact defensive player
Last 4 rounds: Another offensive lineman, a receiver, a defensive back, and a project player (backup QB?)
Should EDS prove the Center of the Future, and Sherrod be ready to go, where would he play considering Lang and Sitton just laid some ink, and Bulaga, this year aside is a top level tackle? Seems like a waste to not pick up a position where we actually need help.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherrod has not really played, you cannot consider him a bust just yet if he has no physical problems because of the injury, and I have heard of none so far. In my eyes Sherrod could basically be considered a first round pick from the 2013 draft. We do not know what he can do yet, and he has just as likely a shot of succeeding as a tackle we pick up in the first round so why waist a pick on a position we already have an unknown first round talent in? Again this is all going off the fact that he will be as physically able to play as he was when we drafted him.

The only line position we may need early is an OC depending on how EDS does the rest of the season.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Sherrod has not really played, you cannot consider him a bust just yet if he has no physical problems because of the injury, and I have heard of none so far. In my eyes Sherrod could basically be considered a first round pick from the 2013 draft. We do not know what he can do yet, and he has just as likely a shot of succeeding as a tackle we pick up in the first round so why waist a pick on a position we already have an unknown first round talent in? Again this is all going off the fact that he will be as physically able to play as he was when we drafted him.

The only line position we may need early is an OC depending on how EDS does the rest of the season.

First of all, before posting, go back and read what people wrote...NOWHERE DID I SAY HE WAS A BUST.

2nd: Sherrod is unproven. How does anyone know if that leg is healing/healed correctly? Will he have lost a step or two, most likely. Will the pre-season alone be enough to judge him on with others trying for his spot too? No, it wont. I'm not saying give up on him, I am saying get some damn INSURANCE and DEPTH at the most valuable O line spot. It can't hurt and most LT's can and will play other places on the line.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all, before posting, go back and read what people wrote...NOWHERE DID I SAY HE WAS A BUST.

2nd: Sherrod is unproven. How does anyone know if that leg is healing/healed correctly? Will he have lost a step or two, most likely. Will the pre-season alone be enough to judge him on with others trying for his spot too? No, it wont. I'm not saying give up on him, I am saying get some damn INSURANCE and DEPTH at the most valuable O line spot. It can't hurt and most LT's can and will play other places on the line.

Didn't mean to put words in your mouth, but the way you were talking I felt that bust was the best word to use, but I was wrong.

If you want to draft for insurance then a later round pick is where you would draft IMO, plus we already have Newhouse, Datko, and Barclay as insurance so I just don't see the need for an early round pick at tackle. I just see an early pick needing to go somewhere we are weak or don't have any prospects.

We should have an idea by draft time whether Sherrod will be able to regain his talent and as I said I would change my opinion if there are some serious signs he won't be able to but as of right now all indications are that he will return. Drafting a tackle is still a risk/project just like Sherrod will be, so why not draft a player to be a risk/project somewhere else that it is more needed like DE, ILB, FS, TE, RB. we have two recent 1st round picks on tackles that I feel it would be too early to give up on. As HyponGrey pointed out we already have two good long term players at guard so drafting another Oline would not be ideal.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Sherrod will be a starter on our team somewhere on the o-line because theres to much that was invested in him. He deserves a chance once he's healthy. The more intriguing question is what happens to Bulaga once he comes back? Anyways i think that other OLB spot is still critical in turning this defense into a top 5 defense but imo Perry is not the answer as the pass rusher on the outside.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I think Barclay is more of your typical right side guy and he does a good job at it, and he is good depth so leave him there. Datko??? No way in hell. That guys only asset is size. He has slow feet, and seemed really weak. Datko was getting beat so badly his only option was to hold and he got flagged for that like mad. Newhouse.....he can pound sand IMO, he SUCKS. He gets beat by some of the NFL's crappiest pass rushers.....and God forbid he has to go up against a real talent, like J Peppers who made him look retarded. We do need to draft at LT, high or mid round at best......unless a hidden gem is there for TT for dig up. You need to protect one of the best QB's in the NFL, not go with a half-*** LT or an unproven guy who might or might not work out, or a practice squad guy who is a known ****.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I think Sherrod will be a starter on our team somewhere on the o-line because theres to much that was invested in him. He deserves a chance once he's healthy. The more intriguing question is what happens to Bulaga once he comes back? Anyways i think that other OLB spot is still critical in turning this defense into a top 5 defense but imo Perry is not the answer as the pass rusher on the outside.
A source I hold in high regard said that Sherrod has more upside than any Tackle prospect in this year's draft.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Barclay is more of your typical right side guy and he does a good job at it, and he is good depth so leave him there. Datko??? No way in hell. That guys only asset is size. He has slow feet, and seemed really weak. Datko was getting beat so badly his only option was to hold and he got flagged for that like mad. Newhouse.....he can pound sand IMO, he SUCKS. He gets beat by some of the NFL's crappiest pass rushers.....and God forbid he has to go up against a real talent, like J Peppers who made him look retarded. We do need to draft at LT, high or mid round at best......unless a hidden gem is there for TT for dig up. You need to protect one of the best QB's in the NFL, not go with a half-*** LT or an unproven guy who might or might not work out, or a practice squad guy who is a known ****.

I'll agree with you that I would not want one of the backups I named as a starter, but that is why they would be back-ups, and as back-ups go they would seem to be just fine for my liking.

You also say that you would not want Rodgers blindside protected by an unproven guy who might or might not work out. What I am trying to say is that a first round pick is still just that, an unproven guy who may or may not work out. So if we already have one of those in Sherrod then why get another when we could address TE, RB, or a big time play maker on D? I will say it again my belief goes right down the drain if there are serious doubts that Sherrod will not regain his form. If that is the case then I completely agree with you, but until that happens I feel and early pick at OT would be a mistake.

Anyways i think that other OLB spot is still critical in turning this defense into a top 5 defense but imo Perry is not the answer as the pass rusher on the outside.

We need to give Perry a shot still, he has had no where near his fair share to prove himself. Giving up on him this early would be a huge overreaction. The guy showed some promise to be an above average OLB, let him have at least another full year to learn a brand new position, he has the talent and ability to play it. We should not give up on him so quickly.

The Boatman

@JB3LL
Reaction score
i want b. jones real bad. i like that he can play all positions. some people think he's too small to play tackle, but he did win awards at ALABAMA for being the best lineman as a tackle. he's listed as a center or guard so having a guy who was the best in the country at 3 different positions 3 different years says all you need to know about him. i really like eddie lacy as well, but knowing TT he won't take him in the 2nd or 3rd which is fine. we just need an average run game and you can find good backs late in the draft and in FA. i wouldn't be bad at only going OL, DL, and backers in this draft.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
i want b. jones real bad. i like that he can play all positions. some people think he's too small to play tackle, but he did win awards at ALABAMA for being the best lineman as a tackle. he's listed as a center or guard so having a guy who was the best in the country at 3 different positions 3 different years says all you need to know about him. i really like eddie lacy as well, but knowing TT he won't take him in the 2nd or 3rd which is fine. we just need an average run game and you can find good backs late in the draft and in FA. i wouldn't be bad at only going OL, DL, and backers in this draft.
What position on the OL? Tackle? We just drafted 2 First Round Tackles in the past 3 years, they are HURT. Guard? we just re-signed our current starting tandem as starters until 2017. Center? EDS may prove to be a viable starting Center, we don't know, he's only played one game at the position, and most of the time had nobody to block.

DL? I guess you want another pass rusher? What if I told you that our DL focused on stopping the run not rushing the passer? Trgovac says so: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...n-packers-base-defense-1k6m0ik-167930065.html

Backers we need depth, our starters are set.

Wouldn be surprised if we grab a FS

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
The post may be old, but the information is still relevant. Don't just pout, voice your discrepancies o pusher of buttons.

The Boatman

@JB3LL
Reaction score
What position on the OL? Tackle? We just drafted 2 First Round Tackles in the past 3 years, they are HURT. Guard? we just re-signed our current starting tandem as starters until 2017. Center? EDS may prove to be a viable starting Center, we don't know, he's only played one game at the position, and most of the time had nobody to block.

DL? I guess you want another pass rusher? What if I told you that our DL focused on stopping the run not rushing the passer? Trgovac says so: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...n-packers-base-defense-1k6m0ik-167930065.html

Backers we need depth, our starters are set.

Wouldn be surprised if we grab a FS

1. viable is the same word you could use to describe Jennings and Burnett so I don't see us going FS, although with TT you never know. with all the guys we've drafted at the safety position I think TT likes who he has.
2. yeah they're HURT. Sherrod hadn't played, so that doesn't mean he's good. we don't know. we don't know if he can come back. but I like jones more as a center/guard. EDS has been fine, but he doesn't strike me as a great player, just average. jones has the potential to be an pro bowler for a long time, and if there's a guard injury you could move him to guard from center or leave him and have the depth for EDS to step in.
3. wasn't looking for a pass rusher on the DL. more of a run stuffer to play next to raji. Pickett is getting old, and we need another DE/DT for the future.
4. we still need one more pass rusher at linebacker, but I don't think we will grab one in the 1st unless a top player falls. I just think we need one. we could go MLB if we let hawk go. and the rook would compete against dj smith for the other backer next to bishop.

I think it's going to come down to OL or DL. my opinion.

Members online

Latest posts