What positions...first three picks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's draft 270 pound Ed Oliver to replace Kenny Clark!

I can't wait for all the spicy takes tonight.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's possible one of them emerges as a decent slot receiver but so far not a single one of them has primarily lined up there over his career.

It was mainly Cobb and Graham's job last year. The main reason none of them played it to any large degree was circumstance. It doesn't mean none of them could play it. Nobody in the draft has played the slot in Green Bay's offense either.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe you're making an assumption here.
I thought I heard Gute say something about that. I'm paraphrasing, but I think he said we have the 5th year option and he's in our long term plans. But whether or not that means extension or 5th year and then extension, I don't know

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want to get a big impact player. I hope Gutekunst is open to trading up for the right guy. I’d rather have one great player than two or three JAGs.

Don’t really care where the impact player plays. DL, OL, TE, S, WR, LB, CB would be my order of preference, but just give me a monster player.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want to get a big impact player. I hope Gutekunst is open to trading up for the right guy. I’d rather have one great player than two or three JAGs.

Don’t really care where the impact player plays. DL, OL, TE, S, WR, LB, CB would be my order of preference, but just give me a monster player.

So, out of those positions only DL, or LB would you have to trade up, well maybe TJ Hock too. You shouldn't have to move up for one of the top OL, the S, WR, and CB should all be there.

I don't really want to move up unless someone like Q. Williams or the LSU ILB drops to 8th or so. I'm not moving for a TE, or an OL.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TJ Hock worries me. He just did not look very fast to me. And if he isn't fast; he won't be a great receiver. And I don't believe any tight end can block well enough to make up for a poor RT. Which is hopefully a year away but could be much sooner.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TJ Hock worries me. He just did not look very fast to me. And if he isn't fast; he won't be a great receiver. And I don't believe any tight end can block well enough to make up for a poor RT. Which is hopefully a year away but could be much sooner.
I think he will be good, but not so good i'm moving up, or even at 12.......not sure about that. I'm thinking we target the A&M kid in the 3rd

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's draft 270 pound Ed Oliver to replace Kenny Clark!

I can't wait for all the spicy takes tonight.
i used the clark contract situation as an example of what the Packers are going to have to think about considering the cap hell they'll be facing soon. if they can replace expensive players with cheaper rookies, who are just as good (AND get a low draft pick), they have to seriously consider it.

by the way, clark very seldom lines up as a NT...only in the base 3-4 does he do that...and they hardly EVER run base. clark is a terrific player, and everyone likes him, but he's going to command a giant contract. if they can extend him fine but it leaves a lot less for other ideas.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's quick, he's strong and can give this offense run and pass options out of the same formation. It could make them extremely dangerous. He doesn't need blazing straight line speed. Jason Witten wasn't fast and he was awesome, for a long time. This offense could flourish with a TE of his caliber. an oversized WR playing TE is still just a slower oversized WR. They don't give you the same options a legitimate, in the mold, blocking and receiving threat TE gives an offense.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he will be good, but not so good i'm moving up, or even at 12.......not sure about that. I'm thinking we target the A&M kid in the 3rd
The only way i'm taking him at 12 is if the other top OL, DL and linebackers are off the board.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe its silly on my part but I don't want him to trade back again. But heck what do I know?:rolleyes:

Rodgers2adams

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want to see a trade back, it is go time. Ted and Dom have wasted Rodgers prime so we need to go hard over the next 3 to 4 years to salvage this.

Give me an elite defensive player at 12. If Oliver, Bush or Sweat are still there at 12 grab them and don't let go.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe its silly on my part but I don't want him to trade back again. But heck what do I know?:rolleyes:

I'll be honest I suspect unless a QB move makes us an offer we cannot refuse moving out of 12 on, our pick at 30 is much more likely to not end up being a spot we pick at than 12.

We shall see

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, out of those positions only DL, or LB would you have to trade up, well maybe TJ Hock too. You shouldn't have to move up for one of the top OL, the S, WR, and CB should all be there.

I don't really want to move up unless someone like Q. Williams or the LSU ILB drops to 8th or so. I'm not moving for a TE, or an OL.

Agreed. I would not move up for a TE or OL. But for an elite DL, LB or DB I would.

D

Deleted member 6794

It was mainly Cobb and Graham's job last year. The main reason none of them played it to any large degree was circumstance. It doesn't mean none of them could play it. Nobody in the draft has played the slot in Green Bay's offense either.

It's definitely possible that one of the young receivers emerges as a legit threat in the slot but I would feel more comfortable about having at least one WR on the roster who has lined up there for most of his career.

I believe you're making an assumption here.

No, Gutekunst already made it clear the Packers will exercise the fifth year option on Clark.

i used the clark contract situation as an example of what the Packers are going to have to think about considering the cap hell they'll be facing soon.

In that case it was a terrible example. Just admit that it was a bad idea and move on.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK...one of mine got filled at Free Safety and in the place I wanted him. A bunch of the OTs have slid and I hope we get one with the next pick. Then a Slot or TE or pass catching RB. But I still believe Jones can catch.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gotta think there will be an early run on OT and WR, I hope not though. I wouldn't be upset if they take Jace Sternberger or Irv Smith either.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In that case it was a terrible example. Just admit that it was a bad idea and move on.
it wasn't an idea. it was a hypothetical. they didn't move up for one of those elite DT's so it's mute...but the NE model of moving expendable, expensive, free agents for picks, and cap room, still holds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts