What positions...first three picks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok we have a glaring hole at ILB and uncomfortable depth behind 2 solid starters that could get hurt.
Welcome to the NFL, that's life for everyone. If you think we're going to be starter deep at 2 levels, I'd say you're suffering from wishful thinking

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Welcome to the NFL, that's life for everyone. If you think we're going to be starter deep at 2 levels, I'd say you're suffering from wishful thinking

Fackrell had one good year and Gilbert played well in spurts so I’m not as convinced as you are that we are “starter deep at 2 levels” at OLB. Besides, it doesn’t change the fact that we have ONE ILB. Do we really want to start the season with Burks or plugging in a OLB at ILB? That’s something we do when injuries happen. Injuries at the position have killed our depth the past few years so I do see LB in general as a priority.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fackrell had one good year and Gilbert played well in spurts so I’m not as convinced as you are that we are “starter deep at 2 levels” at OLB. Besides, it doesn’t change the fact that we have ONE ILB. Do we really want to start the season with Burks or plugging in a OLB at ILB? That’s something we do when injuries happen. Injuries at the position have killed our depth the past few years so I do see LB in general as a priority.
I didn't say we were starter deep at 2 levels. I said we have 2 new guys we hope are, should be really, and a serviceable starter and back up in Fackrell. I said, I wouldn't be surprised if we took another one early depending on how the draft plays out and it's our pick. I've often said ILB could be upgraded, Martinez is average, give or take the situation and I'm not going to argue if someone thinks he's a little below or a little above.

But as it stands, we have 2 starters at OLB, which is more than we had last year. It's not a glaring hole after FA. It's not set with depth, but it's not a glaring hole. That's all I was responding to.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't say we were starter deep at 2 levels. I said we have 2 new guys we hope are, should be really, and a serviceable starter and back up in Fackrell. I said, I wouldn't be surprised if we took another one early depending on how the draft plays out and it's our pick. I've often said ILB could be upgraded, Martinez is average, give or take the situation and I'm not going to argue if someone thinks he's a little below or a little above.

But as it stands, we have 2 starters at OLB, which is more than we had last year. It's not a glaring hole after FA. It's not set with depth, but it's not a glaring hole. That's all I was responding to.

Sorry, I definitely read that wrong. It’s just my opinion on what we need. Your right. FA helped the position so I wouldn’t put it in front of S or OL but IMO we need to address the position with a high pick.

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want large people that play near the ball and eat much food and the new coaches can chisel into the lineup for about a decade.

I also like those new guys that catch the ball and whose names I cannot pronounce or spell. However, I would like another speedy one whose feet burns through his sneakers.

Dare I mention that position where Packer fans have learned to genuflect when the subject is brought up: Quarterback. I have a lot of Cleveland Brown and Notre Dame football fans in the house that say I should be nervous about DeShone Kizer being the only option.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...Quarterback. I have a lot of Cleveland Brown and Notre Dame football fans in the house that say I should be nervous about DeShone Kizer being the only option.
Interesting "Book on Kizer" prior to the 2017 draft... http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...shone-kizer-scouting-polarizing-notre-dame-qb

Maybe low-pressure situation, coaching & backing-up the supremely confident AR will do him some good in the confidence dept.? Boyle has the physical tools to be decent... hopefully the same situation as Kizer will help him too.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, look at it as in what positions would you most like to improve your team.

With our top 3 picks I would like to see 3 of these 5 positions addressed. OL, S, Slot WR and either ILB or DL. As fat dogs said It all depends on who is there but assuming several players are available with equal grades and we can't trade back I would prefer to see OL be the choice. I don't think there is a S or SWR worth the 12th pick. Ideally someone who could play RT when Bulaga is gone or gets hurt but could play guard this year. Its tougher since we are paying Turner and ostensibly have him penciled in as our RG. Honestly I'm not all that familiar with how difficult switching sides of the line is so is it reasonable to have a guy who could play LG this year and move to RT next year? If so would it make a difference in who we target?

Reaction score
I think there’s a reasonable chance Gute surprises us
I think the surprise pick may be the position of
RB at #30 or #44.
While there’s substantial DT talent polarized at the top.. there’s also deep talent going throughout day 2 and into the beginning of day 3.
We just loaded up in FA at Defense so this would be an Offensive answer. Going rogue here just for fun..
1. TE
2. WR
3. RB

Then switch gears: Safety, DT,

Then hit the trenches: OT, OG, LB
and special teams: CB, K,

Last edited:

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
https://www.packersnews.com/story/s...nt-stand-pat-young-wide-receivers/3440473002/

if adams is serious about wanting to play a lot more slot, that would be a huge factor in making rodgers throw quickly, not hold the ball looking down field and inevitably throwing the ball away. this could also make the dk metcalf possibility (stretching the defense) seem more sensible
I just don't think that is the best use of our upcoming draft. Davante is now a veteran and a star that needs no breaking in. And he is most likely more valuable as a wideout. So whereas I would love to have another star receiver...we have other needs. Which include imho a slot receiver with our 3rd pick.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't think that is the best use of our upcoming draft. Davante is now a veteran and a star that needs no breaking in. And he is most likely more valuable as a wideout. So whereas I would love to have another star receiver...we have other needs. Which include imho a slot receiver with our 3rd pick.
i agree. was just sayin...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If either one of the Devin's (White or Bush) is available at #12, that might be hard to pass up.

9 more days and counting.

I've said for a while if either Devin gets called I'm not gonna be sad one bit come draft.

Reaction score
The nice thing is you are really right. We don’t 100% need a WR. I like the flexibility that we got this draft by picking Edge, S and OG in FA. Our WR group is relatively raw but we have some good pieces too. I can even see us just adding a dedicated Slot3rd-4th round (McLaurin) etc..
That’s huge because we can now focus on best value with several picks. It’s likely we go either Bulagas replacement, the answer for Martinez if he leaves and a RB to bolster a injury prone position. But anything goes and I like that.. we almost can’t lose if we just remain patient and be systematic about picking a highly rated player.

Last edited:

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RB at #30 or #44.
While there’s substantial DT talent polarized at the top.. there’s also deep talent going throughout day 2 and into the beginning of day 3.
We just loaded up in FA at Defense so this would be an Offensive answer. Going rogue here just for fun..
1. TE
2. WR
3. RB

Then switch gears: Safety, DT,

Then hit the trenches: OT, OG, LB
and special teams: CB, K,

I follow Evan Silva on twitter, he's watched tape on the majority of the top RB's and has stated he's underwhelmed with this draft class. He has ranked 50 other players ahead of them. I know it's just one opinion, but if others see them in the same light we may not see a RB drafted until round 2. 44 for Jacobs? Maybe, I wouldn't be too upset with that.

D

Deleted member 6794

We have glaring holes at S, OL, and Both LB spots. I’ll bump WR and TE down a few notches from where everyone else sees it (not because I’m satisfied with what we have) but because we are better off with those positions than the others IMO. That being said... we need all of these positions filled and can’t afford to sacrifice value for need. Allow the draft to fall to us and build a strong foundation for the next 5 years.

The Packers might need some quality depth at edge rusher and a starter at inside linebacker to play next to Martinez. As others have pointed out I don't see it as a glaring hole though.

If Burks doesn't measure up I can see Z. Smith moving inside and Fackrell moving to the edge or vice-versa even.

Gutekunst should address the position with a player having experience at lining up there and not move an edge rusher inside.

RB at #30 or #44.

I would be disappointed if the Packers select a running back that early.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm not in favor of the team pigeon-holing themselves into selecting certain positions, but ideally I would like to find a guy who can play some safety immediately and a right tackle of the future in the top 3 rounds. Beyond that, I think they should be open.

H

HardRightEdge

I'll preference my comments by saying that I find the idea of not incorporating what one can glean of Gutekunst intent into one's perception of needs is pointless. So I won't do that.

• OT who can play OG in year 1 and back up at OT if there is an injury and then take Bulaga's spot in 2020. Gutekunst brought in Jonah Williams, Dillard, McGary and Tytus Howard for private visits. If there was ever a lock then OT at #44 or above is it.
  • Best player available at DE or Edge which would dictate how much Z. Smith plays inside in nickel/dime; a DE at #12 or #30 means projection to 3-down play which means ability to 2-gap in base and bring pressure in nickel/dime; a declining Daniels entering his contract year (if not a big cap savings if cut) is the chief argument here
  • Best player available between a SS who can play ILB when matchups call for it (third time's the charm!) or a 3-down ILB.
I would not be surprised if there is a trade down out of #12 having nothing at all to do with the alleged Packer QB interview "smoke screen". For illustration purposes only, The Packers #12 for the Giants #17 is 250 point difference on the Jimmy Jones chart. The Giants #37 pick is worth 530 points. The Packers #75 is worth 215 points and #118 is worth 58 points. So, Packers #12, #75 and #118 (1473 points) for the Giants #17 and #37 (1480 points). Since this assumes the Giants are trading up for their QB of the future, the Packers could milk additional consideration such as the Giants #95 (120 points).

Then Gutekunst could call Miami and extort what for him is a better deal in a #12 for #13 if there is somebody he loves at #12/#13 assuming the Dolphins had pegged their guy for the future at #13.

Predicting trades this far down the board are a mugs game, with the operative term above being "for illustration purposes only". Who knows who picking below #12 loves whom? The point being, there's a good chance Gutekunst will get a call or calls as that pick approaches that might yield 4 picks down to #44.

Gutekunst looks serious about spending for a backup QB. A trade down with somebody other than the Giants or Dolphins would increase the possibility his QB guy is there down the board. Whether he prefers Lock or Jones at 30 and 44 or some other pick in trade down to the upper 2nd. round remains a question, but the interest is there. Maybe the fact Jones declined a visit because of "scheduling conflicts" sends a message he has no interest in being Rodgers backup. On the other hand, I question Lock's gumption in taking the visit, but that's what the interview process is for.

In any event, since a QB pick is an insurance policy not an acute need, and not much of an insurance policy in year 1, it has to be Gutekunst's right guy at the right spot, with the odds going up in a trade down for another pick above #44.

Next Needs:
  • Whether it is a SS or ILB at #44 or above, the other guy should be taken in the next group if for nother reason than Martinez is in his contract year and as it stands now cap is tight for next year. A wildcard here is whether the Packers believe Burks can get a clue. He was a Gutekusnt pick, not Thompson's, where developmental expectations may be in play.
  • RB: While LaFleur got a lot of good mileage out of Henry in the power back mode I'd submit the bigger need is a speedy back in the Jones mold, preferably with pass catching indications. As things stand, Jones is a knee sprain waiting to happen. Williams is not exactly chopped liver in the power game who might project better in the new blocking scheme. He was pretty decent already. I like Justice Hill here, a guy I see as being undervalued.
  • TE: Paying Graham the signing bonus and bringing Lewis back tells me Hockenson or Fant is not in the cards, with one caveat. In a trade down yielding a 4th. pick at 44 or above, and Gutekunst doesn't get his QB, Fant could be a "big slot" option in year 1 and teed up to replace Graham in year 2. I raise this possibility only because Gutekunst brought him in for an interview.
  • Slot: Gutekunst is on the record espousing the big slot concept but that may be as much a concession to what he has now and what he plans to do with upper round picks that does not include a WR of any stripe. Expectation management we could say. Absent the Fant pick which implies going full bore big slot in 2019, I'd suggest a small slot down the board might be in the cards. I would note the Packers interviewed Penny Hart at the Senior Bowl. His Pro Day agility drills were so bad it's hard to believe he didn't pull something. Maybe another somewhere here down the board who can return punts.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'll preference my comments by saying that I find the idea of not incorporating what one can glean of Gutekunst intent into one's perception of needs is pointless. So I won't do that.

• OT who can play OG in year 1 and back up at OT if there is an injury and then take Bulaga's spot in 2020. Gutekunst brought in Jonah Williams, Dillard, McGary and Tytus Howard for private visits. If there was ever a lock then OT at #44 or above is it.
  • Best player available at DE or Edge which would dictate how much Z. Smith plays inside in nickel/dime; a DE at #12 or #30 means projection to 3-down play which means ability to 2-gap in base and bring pressure in nickel/dime; a declining Daniels entering his contract year (if not a big cap savings if cut) is the chief argument here
  • Best player available between a SS who can play ILB when matchups call for it (third time's the charm!) or a 3-down ILB.
I would not be surprised if there is a trade down out of #12 having nothing at all to do with the alleged Packer QB interview "smoke screen". For illustration purposes only, The Packers #12 for the Giants #17 is 250 point difference on the Jimmy Jones chart. The Giants #37 pick is worth 530 points. The Packers #75 is worth 215 points and #118 is worth 58 points. So, Packers #12, #75 and #118 (1473 points) for the Giants #17 and #37 (1480 points). Since this assumes the Giants are trading up for their QB of the future, the Packers could milk additional consideration such as the Giants #95 (120 points).

Then Gutekunst could call Miami and extort what for him is a better deal in a #12 for #13 if there is somebody he loves at #12/#13 assuming the Dolphins had pegged their guy for the future at #13.

Predicting trades this far down the board are a mugs game, with the operative term above being "for illustration purposes only". Who knows who picking below #12 loves whom? The point being, there's a good chance Gutekunst will get a call or calls as that pick approaches that might yield 4 picks down to #44.

Gutekunst looks serious about spending for a backup QB. A trade down with somebody other than the Giants or Dolphins would increase the possibility his QB guy is there down the board. Whether he prefers Lock or Jones at 30 and 44 or some other pick in trade down to the upper 2nd. round remains a question, but the interest is there. Maybe the fact Jones declined a visit because of "scheduling conflicts" sends a message he has no interest in being Rodgers backup. On the other hand, I question Lock's gumption in taking the visit, but that's what the interview process is for.

In any event, since a QB pick is an insurance policy not an acute need, and not much of an insurance policy in year 1, it has to be Gutekunst's right guy at the right spot, with the odds going up in a trade down for another pick above #44.

Next Needs:
  • Whether it is a SS or ILB at #44 or above, the other guy should be taken in the next group if for nother reason than Martinez is in his contract year and as it stands now cap is tight for next year. A wildcard here is whether the Packers believe Burks can get a clue. He was a Gutekusnt pick, not Thompson's, where developmental expectations may be in play.
  • RB: While LaFleur got a lot of good mileage out of Henry in the power back mode I'd submit the bigger need is a speedy back in the Jones mold, preferably with pass catching indications. As things stand, Jones is a knee sprain waiting to happen. Williams is not exactly chopped liver in the power game who might project better in the new blocking scheme. He was pretty decent already. I like Justice Hill here, a guy I see as being undervalued.
  • TE: Paying Graham the signing bonus and bringing Lewis back tells me Hockenson or Fant is not in the cards, with one caveat. In a trade down yielding a 4th. pick at 44 or above, and Gutekunst doesn't get his QB, Fant could be a "big slot" option in year 1 and teed up to replace Graham in year 2. I raise this possibility only because Gutekunst brought him in for an interview.
  • Slot: Gutekunst is on the record espousing the big slot concept but that may be as much a concession to what he has now and what he plans to do with upper round picks that does not include a WR of any stripe. Expectation management we could say. Absent the Fant pick which implies going full bore big slot in 2019, I'd suggest a small slot down the board might be in the cards. I would note the Packers interviewed Penny Hart at the Senior Bowl. His Pro Day agility drills were so bad it's hard to believe he didn't pull something. Maybe another somewhere here down the board who can return punts.

Mostly a good analysis but I would be disappointed if the Packers spend an early round pick on a backup quarterback.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Best player available between a SS who can play ILB when matchups call for it (third time's the charm!) or a 3-down ILB.
I have a question, forgive my lack of knowledge.
SS vs. FS, I read an article from one of the beat writers saying we need a FS, due to Amos likely going to play closer to the line, and J. Jones being the S/LB type, am I confusing this? He was saying the two best guys for us were the kids from Virginia or Maryland, centerfielders persay. Help me out on this guys.

H

HardRightEdge

Mostly a good analysis but I would be disappointed if the Packers spend an early round pick on a backup quarterback.
As I said earlier, Murphy and his hand-picked successor in Gutekunst could probably survive another losing season with sufficent plausible reasons, but not two season. And the most likely cause of such failings would be another Rodgers injury, particularly acute in 2020 where excuses would have run out. At that point this years draftee would be in year 2.

I too would be disappointed if the Packers bought a QB from #44 on up. But I'm not the guy who thinks he needs insurance as a backstop in keeping his job. But as I suggested, there is a balancing act. If it ain't the right guy it ain't gonna happen. Actually being a viable insurance policy is the qualification, and there is a balancing act in getting something else you need to not put up another losing season in 2019.

If I had to guess, a requirement for that QB pick would be a trade down from #12 picking up another pick in the upper half of the second round or higher. The the QB is a "bonus".

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TE: Paying Graham the signing bonus and bringing Lewis back tells me Hockenson or Fant is not in the cards, with one caveat. In a trade down yielding a 4th. pick at 44 or above, and Gutekunst doesn't get his QB, Fant could be a "big slot" option in year 1 and teed up to replace Graham in year 2. I raise this possibility only because Gutekunst brought him in for an interview.

I have a feeling we may be looking at Jace Sternberger from A&M , we interviewed him and he was very productive. He seems more of a pass catcher than a blocker but he is a guy they seem to be interested in.

H

HardRightEdge

I have a question, forgive my lack of knowledge.
SS vs. FS, I read an article from one of the beat writers saying we need a FS, due to Amos likely going to play closer to the line, and J. Jones being the S/LB type, am I confusing this? He was saying the two best guys for us were the kids from Virginia or Maryland, centerfielders persay. Help me out on this guys.
Don't believe everything your read and that would include what I'm about to say unless the argument resonates based on what you've already observed.

While Amos has FS / SS flexibility (nickname "Smash"), I don't think the Packers paid him this amount of money to play primarily SS and in the box though we'll probably see him down there situationally. You need a smart player and a leader to run the back end and Amos is that guy. That means primarily high safety. This need is particulary acute with a bunch of young corners and what is likely to be a young SS, be it Jones or otherwise.

Consider that no sooner did Clinton-Dix publicly bellyache about not being offered an extention, which is how you translate "I don't expect to be here next year", than he was summarily traded. It wasn't just the business decisions that sent him packing. It was the forfeiture of his leadership position. And that needed to be replaced.

As for Jones being a S/LB type, that ship left port after his rookie year. Jones was moved to safety and that's where he stayed in the world according to Pettine. They drafted Burks as a "second time's the charm" pick for that hybrid SS/ILB role. I would submit given Burks general cluelessness at the position last season that going for "third time's the charm" may be in the cards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online