What positions...first three picks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fair enough, and that's fine, we can agree to disagree. I'm not saying Gute won't draft a WR, but in the 1st or 2nd Round I feel there are positions that would be better served with a higher pick. While slot WR is definitely a "starter" in today's NFL to me it doesn't require a 1st or 2nd Round pick to be addressed properly. Not to mention this is a defensive Draft. So I expect WRs with 2nd Round grades to slide to the 3rd, and 3rd Round grades to slide to the 4th. That first or second pick in 4th in my opinion is the prime time for a slot depending on how the board falls.

D

Deleted member 6794

Fair enough, and that's fine, we can agree to disagree. I'm not saying Gute won't draft a WR, but in the 1st or 2nd Round I feel there are positions that would be better served with a higher pick. While slot WR is definitely a "starter" in today's NFL to me it doesn't require a 1st or 2nd Round pick to be addressed properly. Not to mention this is a defensive Draft. So I expect WRs with 2nd Round grades to slide to the 3rd, and 3rd Round grades to slide to the 4th. That first or second pick in 4th in my opinion is the prime time for a slot depending on how the board falls.

I would be fine with Gutekunst not spending one of the team's first three picks on a slot receiver as long as he feels confident about being able to adequately address the position later in the draft. In my opinion it's one of the most pressing needs on the roster though.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can live with that. However I feel most of this board won't be happy until we resort to drafting a WR every year in the 1st Round until we have 3 Jerry Rices.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OL (pretty picked-over if not in 1st round, would have to get lucky & hope Risner or Lindstrom are still there in 2nd)
S
OLB (think Z. Smith plays inside on 2nd & 3rd downs, so still need outside rush help)

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that's a moot point for a team that routinely converts Tackles into Guards, plays musical chairs in the secondary, and makes guys who play with their hand in the dirt stand up and and vice-versa.

The three former rookies never played much special teams either, but that didn't stop the coaching staff from putting them out there.
A lot of this was done out of necessity. Especially the secondary.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers could be fine with Allison starting opposite of Adams as long as they find a decent slot receiver. Last season should work as evidence that Rodgers isn't able to compensate for too many shortcomings on offense.

There are limits to what Rodgers can do, of course, especially when he's playing with an injury....Tom Brady just won a Super Bowl with only one superior receiver (Edelman), and Peyton Manning got by often playing with the likes of Blair White.

Allison runs good routes and is fairly dependable when healthy, but an upgrade at his position would be nice.....

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Assuming we stay put and assuming the players we think will be gone in the first 11 picks are gone. What positions would you like us to take. Not players...just positions.
For me:
1. OT
2. Free Safety
3. Slot
Once I got past the 1st pick; it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be.

This is an impossible exercise because we won’t know who will be there. No team goes into a draft saying “we are drafting a TE in the first and RB in the second.” I know this is for fun so I will say that safety should be addressed within the first 3 rounds because there are only 4 that I feel comfortable with and they will be gone sooner than later. That being said, I don’t think it’s smart to sacrifice value either. Example=our top two S choices (that we have low first round grades on) are drafted just before us at #30. We now have to choose our 3rd rated S (who Gute has graded low 2nd round or take a OL like Ford or Dillard that slipped (that we have first round grades on.) OL is a no brainer to me even if we took one at #12. There’s no doubt that we will be looking for certain positions early but we have to take what the draft gives us.

D

Deleted member 6794

There are limits to what Rodgers can do, of course, especially when he's playing with an injury....Tom Brady just won a Super Bowl with only one superior receiver (Edelman), and Peyton Manning got by often playing with the likes of Blair White.

Brady had the benefit of the Patriots featuring a top 10 defense for each of his Super Bowl runs. Manning won his only Super Bowl with the Colts while having Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne catching balls.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can the Oklahoma speedster play the slot? If he can we might go there at 12, I’m not blown away by either of the Ole Miss wideouts. I was big on the Iowa TE’s but I have a feeling we may go after the Tx. A&M TE a little later.
OL, S, we still may go Edge if Sweat is there at 12.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At some point Nelson started lining up in the slot as well and excelled when he did infact line up there. Adams no doubt is our stud, and I fully expect some of the slot burden at times to be his to carry, but that is also just another way for LaFluer to utilize his #1 weapon IMO. Between him and Graham you have two experienced options UNTIL someone else shows promise (drafted or already here). If GMO, MVS, EQ and such continue to grow...while not ideal our "slot" could be a by committee style.

I am high on the Clemson Hunter "overcome, outwork, lunch pale" Renfrow train...as I see him being a slot guy in the NFL with the fearless edge in him to work there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is an impossible exercise because we won’t know who will be there. No team goes into a draft saying “we are drafting a TE in the first and RB in the second.” I know this is for fun so I will say that safety should be addressed within the first 3 rounds because there are only 4 that I feel comfortable with and they will be gone sooner than later. That being said, I don’t think it’s smart to sacrifice value either. Example=our top two S choices (that we have low first round grades on) are drafted just before us at #30. We now have to choose our 3rd rated S (who Gute has graded low 2nd round or take a OL like Ford or Dillard that slipped (that we have first round grades on.) OL is a no brainer to me even if we took one at #12. There’s no doubt that we will be looking for certain positions early but we have to take what the draft gives us.
Well, look at it as in what positions would you most like to improve your team.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can the Oklahoma speedster play the slot? If he can we might go there at 12, I’m not blown away by either of the Ole Miss wideouts. I was big on the Iowa TE’s but I have a feeling we may go after the Tx. A&M TE a little later.
OL, S, we still may go Edge if Sweat is there at 12.

I don't think anybody sees Marquise Brown going 12th Overall. 30th Overall is a stretch too considering the WRs projected to go before him. He can play the slot though.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, look at it as in what positions would you most like to improve your team.

We have glaring holes at S, OL, and Both LB spots. I’ll bump WR and TE down a few notches from where everyone else sees it (not because I’m satisfied with what we have) but because we are better off with those positions than the others IMO. That being said... we need all of these positions filled and can’t afford to sacrifice value for need. Allow the draft to fall to us and build a strong foundation for the next 5 years.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you miss the Free Agency period? You do know we signed 2 edge rushing LBs right?

Great upgrades over Mathews and Perry but we need depth. We are all hoping for Fackrell and Gilbert to become above average NFL starters but I’m not banking on it. Injuries happen and we shouldn’t be comfortable with What we have at OLB.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Allen, Sweat, or Burns are there I can't fault Gute for going that route; especially if Oliver is off the board. But he's gotta stand by his choices in FA for a year first before something major.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great upgrades over Mathews and Perry but we need depth. We are all hoping for Fackrell and Gilbert to become above average NFL starters but I’m not banking on it. Injuries happen and we shouldn’t be comfortable with What we have at OLB.
That's different than saying we have a glaring hole. There are ZERO teams with 4 top level starting pass rushers. Zero. We have 2 we hope are pretty good, and 1 that is a serviceable starter and back up. I think there is a good chance we take another one and maybe even early depending on how the draft falls. But I wouldn't call it glaring hole. Glaring hole is Fackrell and ?

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Allen, Sweat, or Burns are there I can't fault Gute for going that route; especially if Oliver is off the board. But he's gotta stand by his choices in FA for a year first before something major.

It’s not a replacement for what we already have. Pass rusher is a premium position that no team can have to many.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that's a moot point for a team that routinely converts Tackles into Guards, plays musical chairs in the secondary, and makes guys who play with their hand in the dirt stand up and and vice-versa.

The three former rookies never played much special teams either, but that didn't stop the coaching staff from putting them out there.

It will be very interesting to see if this new coaching staff of so many newcomers will adhere to this philosophy going forward.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's different than saying we have a glaring hole. There are ZERO teams with 4 top level starting pass rushers. Zero. We have 2 we hope are pretty good, and 1 that is a serviceable starter and back up. I think there is a good chance we take another one and maybe even early depending on how the draft falls. But I wouldn't call it glaring hole. Glaring hole is Fackrell and ?

Ok we have a glaring hole at ILB and uncomfortable depth behind 2 solid starters that could get hurt.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't call ILB a glaring hole when Blake Martinez would start for probably the majority of all NFL defenses that run a 3-4 base. Is he elite? Heck no, but he's more than serviceable. He does need someone to play alongside him however. I'm not sure what Burks can do but we should find out early in 2019. If Burks doesn't measure up I can see Z. Smith moving inside and Fackrell moving to the edge or vice-versa even. I'm very curious to see if 2018 was just a fluke for him. If he posts similar production in Pettine's defense, than Capers was the problem all along and we just need to draft a depth replacement in 2020 or find a relatively cheap vet pickup. Some notable names who could add to the rotation include Shane Ray, Jamie Collins, and Manti Te'o.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't call ILB a glaring hole when Blake Martinez would start for probably the majority of all NFL defenses that run a 3-4 base. Is he elite? Heck no, but he's more than serviceable. He does need someone to play alongside him however. I'm not sure what Burks can do but we should find out early in 2019. If Burks doesn't measure up I can see Z. Smith moving inside and Fackrell moving to the edge or vice-versa even. I'm very curious to see if 2018 was just a fluke for him. If he posts similar production in Pettine's defense, than Capers was the problem all along and we just need to draft a depth replacement in 2020 or find a relatively cheap vet pickup. Some notable names who could add to the rotation include Shane Ray, Jamie Collins, and Manti Te'o.

ILB is most definitely a glaring hole. I love Martinez to but this is his last year and we won’t be able to afford what another team will throw at him. Burks Played 14 games and I’m convinced he’s not the answer. Playing Smith or Fackrell inside only furthers our need for LB depth and wastes Smith’s skill set. Just makes more sense to draft a bonified ILB and then draft another next year if Burks doesn’t improve.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ILB is most definitely a glaring hole. I love Martinez to but this is his last year and we won’t be able to afford what another team will throw at him. Burks Played 14 games and I’m convinced he’s not the answer. Playing Smith or Fackrell inside only furthers our need for LB depth and wastes Smith’s skill set. Just makes more sense to draft a bonified ILB and then draft another next year if Burks doesn’t improve.

If either one of the Devin's (White or Bush) is available at #12, that might be hard to pass up.

9 more days and counting.

Status
Not open for further replies.