What positions...first three picks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Assuming we stay put and assuming the players we think will be gone in the first 11 picks are gone. What positions would you like us to take. Not players...just positions.
For me:
1. OT
2. Free Safety
3. Slot
Once I got past the 1st pick; it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I just made my first 3 in our mock and it was DL(Oliver), FS(Adderley), and OL(Lindstrom).

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OL and S at 30 and 44. It's just the way the board seems to play out. 12 has some options... LB, TE, WR.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Am I the only person not on the safety with the top 3 picks bandwagon?
DL, OL, WR, LB are bigger needs IMO

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my varying degree of confidence that one of the first three picks is one of the positions listed I'll go:

DL
TE
OL

*first out IMO is ILB as I feel this is a solid depth (just not top shelf) draft for them.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was what positions YOU wanted. Not what positions you thought we would pick. So you cannot be wrong.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was what positions YOU wanted. Not what positions you thought we would pick. So you cannot be wrong.

To be honest what I think will happen is so grounded in what is both realistic and factoring in need....I don't live in a "wishing well" type scenario so it'd be the same...with maybe switching OL and LB but otherwise same.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DL OL S
RB/WR in the second round if better values

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score

LB is probably the most shallow position in the entire Draft. Once White, Bush, and Wilson are gone the rest could honestly wait til the 3rd Round or even Day 3.

There is a lot of talent at WR this year, and because of that, I don't feel the pressure of drafting one in the 1st or 2nd Round. An eventual starter could be found in the 3rd Round or later. Plus for Gute to go back to WR again, it basically admits he made a mistake with the three WRs he drafted just a year ago. Not every pick is going to show the promise of being an eventual All-Pro in the first year. I believe in him "trusting the process" for at least another season.

D

Deleted member 6794

There is a lot of talent at WR this year, and because of that, I don't feel the pressure of drafting one in the 1st or 2nd Round. An eventual starter could be found in the 3rd Round or later. Plus for Gute to go back to WR again, it basically admits he made a mistake with the three WRs he drafted just a year ago.

It would be smart for Gutekunst to draft a slot receiver as the Packers are in need of one even after drafting three players at the position last year though.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes! Get a competent Safety in Savage/Hooker/Blair with our 4th or 5th pick. Get a high impact defender with our first pick (Oliver/Wilkins or Bush), and OL + weapon (WR, TE) with our first 3. If I had it my way:

DL: Oliver
WR: AJ Brown
OL: Linstrom

Last edited:

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams has expressed the willingness to rotate into the slot, and Gute prefers a big slot vs someone more in the mold of Cobb so that allows anyone between Kumerow, ESB, and GMo to step up as well.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes! Get a competent Safety in Savage/Hooker/Blair with our 4th or 5th pick. Get a high impact defender with our first pick (Oliver/Wilkins or Bush), and OL + weapon (WR, TE) with our first 3.

Savage lasting til the 3rd Round is a gamble if you ask me. I've seem some pundits have him gone mid 2nd. It all depends how quickly Adderley, Gardner-Johnson, and Abrams go. I have Savage rated above Abrams.

Hooker has great mental skills but lacks athleticism.

Blair has a history of leg injuries, particularly at the knee that scares me. He could be one more injury from being another Rollins, and he's already playing safety. Plus I think he needs 2 years before he's starter ready.

D

Deleted member 6794

Adams has expressed the willingness to rotate into the slot, and Gute prefers a big slot vs someone more in the mold of Cobb so that allows anyone between Kumerow, ESB, and GMo to step up as well.

Adams won't primarily line up in the slot though. The Packers either need to be confident one of the youngsters can adequately fill the role or use an early rounder on the position.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams won't primarily line up in the slot though. The Packers either need to be confident one of the youngsters can adequately fill the role or use an early rounder on the position.

Valdes-Scantling and St. Brown showed some promise last year, Kumerow missed most of the year after a good pre-season, and Moore was MIA in his rookie season. Unless Green Bay acquires another receiver, it is imperative that one of these four make the second-year leap opposite Adams, or it could be a long season for the Pack. Allison looks like a third receiver to me.

Unfortunately, none of those guys appears to have elite-level talent.....But a great quarterback such as the one Green Bay has can compensate for a lot of short-comings.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not saying he will either, and sorry if I created that perception. However, I believe Gute drafted 3 WRs in 2018 because he knew Cobb would be gone afterwards. Just like Thompson did with the RB position in 2017, He expects someone to emerge as a starting candidate. Just like Jones did at RB, MVS certainly seems like a possibility at WR.

As I've already said, we have to "Trust the Process".

D

Deleted member 6794

Valdes-Scantling and St. Brown showed some promise last year, Kumerow missed most of the year after a good pre-season, and Moore was MIA in his rookie season. Unless Green Bay acquires another receiver, it is imperative that one of these four make the second-year leap opposite Adams, or it could be a long season for the Pack. Allison looks like a third receiver to me.

Unfortunately, none of those guys appears to have elite-level talent.....But a great quarterback such as the one Green Bay has can compensate for a lot of short-comings.

The Packers could be fine with Allison starting opposite of Adams as long as they find a decent slot receiver. Last season should work as evidence that Rodgers isn't able to compensate for too many shortcomings on offense.

I'm not saying he will either, and sorry if I created that perception. However, I believe Gute drafted 3 WRs in 2018 because he knew Cobb would be gone afterwards. Just like Thompson did with the RB position in 2017, He expects someone to emerge as a starting candidate. Just like Jones did at RB, MVS certainly seems like a possibility at WR.

Gutekunst didn't draft a receiver best suited to line up in the slot though. Therefore in my opinion there's a distinct possibility he will select one in this year's draft.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is your justification that none of the current stable of WRs can't play slot? Their height? Their 3-cone?

D

Deleted member 6794

What is your justification that none of the current stable of WRs can't play slot? Their height? Their 3-cone?

It's possible one of them emerges as a decent slot receiver but so far not a single one of them has primarily lined up there over his career.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that's a moot point for a team that routinely converts Tackles into Guards, plays musical chairs in the secondary, and makes guys who play with their hand in the dirt stand up and and vice-versa.

The three former rookies never played much special teams either, but that didn't stop the coaching staff from putting them out there.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think that's a moot point for a team that routinely converts Tackles into Guards, plays musical chairs in the secondary, and makes guys who play with their hand in the dirt stand up and and vice-versa.

The three former rookies never played much special teams either, but that didn't stop the coaching staff from putting them out there.

In my opinion it's significantly easier to successfully move a tackle over to playing guard as to develop a perimeter receiver into a slot one. In addition it hasn't worked that well for the Packers at edge rusher and in the secondary either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts