What number will Malcolm Jenkins wear for the Packers?

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
then why does every single mock draft made by 'Experts" have stafford goin first if he isn't the best player out of the draft? Maybe because the lions NEED a quarterback.. its one or the other you choose... either he's the best player in the draft.. or hes the best player out of their needs

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
freefromwhatyouare said:
Could someone please tell me this person is joking.

?
Can someone please tell me this person isn't shying away from my statement.. as for the number question.. who cares as long as he's a packer

Packdog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree on Malcolm Jenkins being a nice fit for the pro game. He is a stud CB who's game will translate well in the NFL....good size, quickness, change of direction, close speed, etc... I think he is more of a sure thing than many of the other names being thrown around for the Pack's pick. Hopefully, he's still available at #9 ... and TT has him rated high on his board.

TT has stated many times, and results have shown, that he stays true to his BPA philosophy. I think some are getting caught up in semantics....he wouldn't draft a guy if he didn't think they could use(need) him. But he learned from Ron Wolf, who on several occasions admitted to making the mistake of going away from his draft value board, and he got burned.

"Stay true to the board"

The Packers had Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, James Jones, Ruvell Martin, and had other needs....but TT picked Jordy Nelson with his first pick !!! BPA !!!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packdog said:
I agree on Malcolm Jenkins being a nice fit for the pro game. He is a stud CB who's game will translate well in the NFL....good size, quickness, change of direction, close speed, etc... I think he is more of a sure thing than many of the other names being thrown around for the Pack's pick. Hopefully, he's still available at #9 ... and TT has him rated high on his board.

TT has stated many times, and results have shown, that he stays true to his BPA philosophy. I think some are getting caught up in semantics....he wouldn't draft a guy if he didn't think they could use(need) him. But he learned from Ron Wolf, who on several occasions admitted to making the mistake of going away from his draft value board, and he got burned.

"Stay true to the board"

The Packers had Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, James Jones, Ruvell Martin, and had other needs....but TT picked Jordy Nelson with his first pick !!! BPA !!!
Yes, he did. And how did we do in 08???
Nelson is a quality player, and the only reason for him to be drafted in my opinion is to replace DD... But we didn't needed him in the time, we had other needs, and that choice translated into our 08 record... Like I said before, I support TT, but we cannot rebuild forever.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course, I'm not taking in account that the players TT wanted with #30 were already gone, and Nelson was his plan C or D. Even then, I would rather have picked up John Carlson or Dustin Keller...

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackersRS said:
Packdog said:

"Stay true to the board"

Nelson is a quality player, and the only reason for him to be drafted in my opinion is to replace DD... But we didn't needed him in the time, we had other needs, and that choice translated into our 08 record... Like I said before, I support TT, but we cannot rebuild forever.
exactly and look at our 08 record...if he was clearly and by far the best person in the draft then you take him... say you have manning as your qb and theres a tom brady on board for your pick but you need a reciever but the best person avaliable was joe shmo.. obviously you take the superior of the two even though there isnt a need for him because what the hell are you goin to do with a joe shmo.. then you trade away who you drafted and get some value out of him..

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we are talking about Tom Brady quality... But what if the guy you evaluates as the best is Tony Mandarich?? A team NEVER has only one need, and there isn't only one quality player in the entire draft. There's no way to determine that a guy is "clearly and by far the best person in the draft". Just look at the same Tom Brady. Hell, Manning IN A LOT OF PEOPLES LIST wasn't the best player on the draft, guess who was it? RYAN LEAF. So that's why I say that basing solely on one atribute WILL lead to failure, you have to consider Need and Evaluation, because it's so hard to disingush quality from college players, the history of the draft is full of later rounders who become studs and first rounders who become busts, and to say that a guy from a position is WAY better than other guy in other position is just guess...

RyanMegaphors

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Mandarich issue can't be considered normal. He became a junkie. Off of steroids he was only average.

And Leaf I believe had the talent to do it...I dont think people knew how mentally frail he was...absolutely couldn't handle the pressure.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I'm saying is that you cannot disconsider your entire Roster strenghts and weakness just to pick a player that you consider to be better, because there are a lot that comes into a guy becoming one of the best. And we have in my opinion the best corner in the league in Woodson (Bailey is better but Woodson is PLAYING better for the past 2 years) and a Pro Bowl player in Harris. I understand tha Jenkins is a great player, but if we don't stop the run and don't rush the passer we won't even win our division, and a CB isn't going to fix our problems.

Packdog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackersRS said:

My point was not whether Jordy Nelson was a good pick or not, but that TT sticks to his BPA philosophy as his history has shown .... contrary to what others stated in previous posts. (BTW, there were much greater problems contributing to the Pack' 08' record than who they took with that pick...far greater)

Right or wrong, Ted Thompson's MO is to be frugal in free agency and to use the BPA philosophy when drafting. Taking BPA is frustrating to fans when there are other apparent "needs" on the team. There are plenty of holes to be filled, especially with the defensive scheme change. But, why would you take a NT, or OLB (for example) if you don't have them rated that high and you are unable to trade down? Just cause you need one ? That's where picking for need can burn you. If Jenkins is rated as a value at #9 you take him. Harris and Woodson are on their last legs and hopefully you can obtain the right pieces with the 8 reamaining picks.

All that said, I question whether a super strict BPA strategy is truly employed. If draft value is even close, I would think you go with the "need" player. Would TT really pick another WR, or QB on the first day due to being BPA... with the "needs" the Packers have ??!! Well, according to the BPA bible used by TT he would.

There seems to be some sort of balance needed.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packdog said:
PackersRS said:

My point was not whether Jordy Nelson was a good pick or not, but that TT sticks to his BPA philosophy as his history has shown .... contrary to what others stated in previous posts. (BTW, there were much greater problems contributing to the Pack' 08' record than who they took with that pick...far greater)

Right or wrong, Ted Thompson's MO is to be frugal in free agency and to use the BPA philosophy when drafting. Taking BPA is frustrating to fans when there are other apparent "needs" on the team. There are plenty of holes to be filled, especially with the defensive scheme change. But, why would you take a NT, or OLB (for example) if you don't have them rated that high and you are unable to trade down? Just cause you need one ? That's where picking for need can burn you. If Jenkins is rated as a value at #9 you take him. Harris and Woodson are on their last legs and hopefully you can obtain the right pieces with the 8 reamaining picks.

All that said, I question whether a super strict BPA strategy is truly employed. If draft value is even close, I would think you go with the "need" player. Would TT really pick another WR, or QB on the first day due to being BPA... with the "needs" the Packers have ??!! Well, according to the BPA bible used by TT he would.

There seems to be some sort of balance needed.
Thank you. BALANCE. That's it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts