What Mike Mayock has to say about all 7 picks

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike Mayock was the color analyst for the Vikings in their preseason games. He's a vikings fan, be aware...

Cmon, the guy said that Jarrett Bush is the Packers' #4 corner... He said the Packers need a replacement to Kampman, even though Brad Jones, a rookie, played better than him. He knows a lot about the draft, but he's not up to date with every NFL team. Don't expect this kind of guy, a national media guy with not enough time to research every team, to tell you if your team is good or not...

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's something I found interesting from Mayock:
Mayock: Everybody had different ratings on him. I had him projected as being taken in the early 4th round. The thing that confuses me about Mike Neal is that, on face value, I didn’t think he was a scheme fit for the Packers. The Packers are a 3-4 team, and I think he’s really suited for a 4-man front to play the 3-technique. So they’re either going to play him as the nose, where he’s a little bit undersized, or they’re going to play him at the 5-technique, which is the defensive end in a 3-4 front, where he’s not quite as long.

I would love if the Packers put him at the pass rush at NT like the Cowboys have undersized Jay Ratliff.
Ratliff is a guy that experts thought was undersized for the NT position in Dallas, yet he does a great job penetrating and getting to QBs. He reminds me of a less-talented John Randle.

If Neal can give us some of that, I'm thrilled. Rotate him and Raji there on passing downs. The DE position doesn't generate many sacks in a 3-4 historically, with Richard Seymour being the best I can remember in the past couple decades. That position typically just occupies blockers to free up the LBers. But the NT often can squeeze thru the C/OG, but we had none of that last year. Can Neal do it?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want to add that you can't take offense to what Mayock said here either. That's the bottom line. Now the season will ultimately judge all, but he's not off-base here with these thoughts.

Your predication for Green Bay this year?
Mayock: Well, it’s too early to tell. But they have the first thing you need to be good, which is one of the better quarterbacks in the league. I think it was really important that they got that tackle, they have one of the better receiving groups in the league, and opportunistically on defense, the reason they won a lot of games last year is because they were number one on the turnover margin. When you’re plus 24 on the margin, you’re going to win a lot of games. The problem with that is that it’s hard to replicate every year. They’re probably not quite as talented as Minnesota, assuming the Vikings get Favre back. If you’re a Packers fan, the biggest question is, “Have we gained on Minnesota?” And I’m not sure. To me, I don’t think they have. But they’re a good football team and should be a playoff football team.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I would love if the Packers put him at the pass rush at NT like the Cowboys have undersized Jay Ratliff.
Ratliff is a guy that experts thought was undersized for the NT position in Dallas, yet he does a great job penetrating and getting to QBs. He reminds me of a less-talented John Randle.

If Neal can give us some of that, I'm thrilled. Rotate him and Raji there on passing downs. The DE position doesn't generate many sacks in a 3-4 historically, with Richard Seymour being the best I can remember in the past couple decades. That position typically just occupies blockers to free up the LBers. But the NT often can squeeze thru the C/OG, but we had none of that last year. Can Neal do it?

The Cowboys run a specialized version of the 3-4 where they have a pass rushing LB (Demarcus Ware) soaking up double teams to free up the inside guys like Ratliff or an opposite rusher like Anthony Spencer. But I agree, the Packers can certainly execute something similar like this by using Neal properly. We already have a beast in Clay Matthews who teams will gameplan for this season. With Neal playing as a pass rusher I'm sure we can really create some havoc for opposing offenses.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Reports are that Neal will be used mainly as a DE... The Packers', contrary to Mayock, thought that Neal was a prototypical DE for their scheme...

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Put me down as one of those fans disappointed in not getting another outside pass rusher, but it may be that with the additions to the interior line, we will get some push up the middle to the QB. The Game has changed to Pass first, Run second both offensively and defensively; and if we don't pressure the QB better this year we're in trouble. I have memories of Cosell shouting " Down goes Favre. Down goes Favre!" Or was it Frazier?
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts