What message is being sent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OTA's are voluntary. Although most of the Packers showed up, there were a number of significant players who have not shown up at all. My question is what message is being sent to the coaching staff and GM and what message is being sent in return to the players from the coaching staff and GM?

It appears to me that with a new regime in town, with a new playbook in the works, and a number of new players on the team, that our players would want to be in camp working out the kinks so that the camp can run smoothly. I would think that players who want their team to be successful would want to be at these voluntary OTA's. I would think that players who are in this for the money only, wouldn't give a hoot about the team and would be at home or on vacation enjoying their new found wealth.

I can't speak for everyone on this board, but the message that I am receving from these players who are not there, is that I don't care about the Green Bay Packers, our up-coming record, the coaching staff or my teammates and fans. The message that I'm getting from McCarthy and Thompson are, we're too weak to deal with these absent players and we'll just see how it plays out. I'm sure they don't want it this way, but I get the feeling that they want to take control but won't because they don't want to rock the boat. Am I correct in this thinking?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you don't know

I don't know

all we can do is speculate (which is fun, unless it gets too carried away).

Some guys probably do have legit reasons for not being there. The OTA schedule was released at a later than usual date. KGB said he hated having to miss a camp, but he HAD to. That is ONE example of a guy who wanted to be there, but couldn't be.

When a player isn't there, the automatic thinking(and I was guilty of this) is that they are disrespecting the team, or sending a message, or are selfish. That is not always the case.

Is it the case with some? I'm sure there are those cases(unfortunately).

I am sure we would all love 100% participation, but I think we can agree there are some players who don't need this no-pads work. Favre,Harris,Woodson,Pickett,Driver,etc.

The one blessing in disguise with the 'no shows' is that they won't be getting hurt (Like poor Kevin Barry). Harris has said the defense is almost identical, and I belive he said "thank god" for that. That leads me to believe some of the defensive veterans don't need it as much. Offensive players are more likely to benefit from being there. With that said, I'd still like all players to be there.

As far as the message that McCarthy and TT are sending...I don't see it as a weak thing at all. McCarthy is saying the right things to us(fans,media) but to the boys in the locker room, it looks like it is a "I have your back, you better have mine" attitude. He 'excuses' this player, he tells the media that another isn't there for 'personal reasons'

With that said, they ARE voluntary, and they have already had an EXTRA camp. Its not like this is a regular off-season. There was an extra camp because of the new coach. However the defense is the same, and the offense is similar as well, besides terminology.

I don't think it is a big deal(anymore) and attendance will improve from here on out, as players take care of their personal issues(moving,college,etc).

I don't think this is an issue, unless it happens in training camp...in which we should all set our hair on fire and run around like maniacs screaming.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
I am sure we would all love 100% participation, but I think we can agree there are some players who don't need this no-pads work. Favre,Harris,Woodson,Pickett,Driver,etc.

Trom,

The only one I can see in your list of players above is Harris. If the defense is about the same, he's been there. As far as any offensive starters, they should be there in my opinion. It's a new system and even Favre has said things such as "strong right means something completely different in this system as it has in the past".

Pickett and Woodson just cashed in and should be more than willing to be there learning the system. It doesn't look good but I will also add that I'll wait until TC to judge MM, TT, or the players for this lack of attendance.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the pickett interviews would tell you that he is not that kind of guy. Do you know why he isnt there?

then why criticize him so harshly(im not saying you are, im just saying)?

He could be selling a house, or buying a house in GB at that very moment, so he can be around MORE.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not being harsh AT ALL actually. I just think for a guy just cashing in with a new team, he would want to be there to learn the system. The same thing should be said for Woodson...

They aren't there, that's the fact....why is anyone's guess. They aren't helping the Packers get better right now by being absent, another fact IMO.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they arent there, that is a fact

is them not being there a big deal in the big scheme of things(winning games and getting to the postseason), probably not.

not early-June OTAs where most things are review, and not much is new stuff, which is what the coaches have said when talking about AJ Hawk, so yeah...its mostly review at this point, its not that big of a deal.

Id still like them to be there, but i wont(anymore) cry about it, and say they're hurting the team.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True...things right now are for review purposes and probably won't affect the overall scheme of things (i hope). I just think it does wonders for the overall team chemistry building to have everyone there working towards the same goals. It must mean something more than nothing and less than everything to the Packers - one more thing the media has overhyped to death.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to see more players in the mini-camp, but what are McCarthy and Thompson supposed to do about it? Until I hear a good answer to that question, I won't blame them. To make demands that won't be met (because the mini-camp is voluntary) would only undermine their authority, in addition to being against the rules.

I think the league should just do away with these "voluntary" minicamps anyway. I doubt that they improve the quality of the football that we watch during the regular season. The coaches use the extra time to make the game more complex, but more complex isn't necessarily better.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I would like to see more players in the mini-camp, but what are McCarthy and Thompson supposed to do about it? Until I hear a good answer to that question, I won't blame them. To make demands that won't be met (because the mini-camp is voluntary) would only undermine their authority, in addition to being against the rules.

I think the league should just do away with these "voluntary" minicamps anyway. I doubt that they improve the quality of the football that we watch during the regular season. The coaches use the extra time to make the game more complex, but more complex isn't necessarily better.

It would be nice to hear MM say something in the media on the lines of, "we were 4-12 last season...I'm disappointed that some of these guys have not come to camp to get this team to the next level"....other than saying something like that, there's not much he can do IMO.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think he wants to be negative like that. he has stated multiple times he wont be satisfied till 100% though...thats good enough(for me).

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's ok with me too as long as there's some bite to the bark. It won't take long at all for the players to figure it out if there isn't. How would Parcells handle this? or Cowher? or Belichick? I'm just curious and not trying to be a smarta$$...

I'm not sold either way on MM yet, for the record. I don't want to be labeled a MM hater or anything because I don't want to be. I hope he's the next big thing in the HC ranks of the NFL.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like how hes handling everything. He handled the favre thing well, hes handling camps well, hes handling the no-shows well(as well as a rookie coach can).

With that said, we havent seen him on sundays, and thats what matters. That is why I am SO anxious to see preseason game 1.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I ask is for a HC to show some emotion on the sideline within reason. I miss Holmgren's neck would inflate like a Puffer fish when the O-Line would hold or false start, etc. We need a coach that has no tolerance for silly **** like that.

Remember the difference between Holmgren's Packers and Rhodes or Sherman's? It was like night and day...disciplined football and undisciplined. We need discipline and accountability back.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM seems like that guy. everything points to that being the case, but we wont find out until preseason game 1(actually regular season game 1).

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
All I ask is for a HC to show some emotion on the sideline within reason. I miss Holmgren's neck would inflate like a Puffer fish when the O-Line would hold or false start, etc. We need a coach that has no tolerance for silly **** like that.

Remember the difference between Holmgren's Packers and Rhodes or Sherman's? It was like night and day...disciplined football and undisciplined. We need discipline and accountability back.

I agree with ND, no reason for these guys to be missing camp. Some of them may have EXCUSES as to why they can't be at camp but it's nothing more than that.....an excuse!

Woodson and Pickett have NO REASON to not be there. It just shows alack of commitment and if MM wants to be POSITIVE about everything let's see him try to spin GB fans after another 4-12 season.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I won't judge Teddy or MIII regarding these half speed no pads practices.
I'm thinking that Woodson or Pickett won't be major factors this year, they got their money and they don't care what happens.
Harris is as good as gone at his age any way.
The Green Bay Packers will still be on the upswing and will be in the hunt for the division title.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this is a little over exgerrated. Woodson was at the first 2 and had plans made ahead to go to Europe. OTA's are to prepare you for Training camp (no matter what coach's babble about) IF Woodson and Pickett are at training camp and playing well, nobody will remember this.

I'm more worried about Woodson than Pickett. DT's don't really do much in mini camps. They can't without pads. DB's on the other hand need to leard the defenses coverages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts