What makes a successful year for Ted?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby....it's true that MAYBE another 1st next year would be good. Hindsight is always 20-20. We won't know till Harrell plays whether or not it's a good move or not.
Lare.......I for one won't give TT 10 years. I do think that as long as improvement is there, i for one will not call for his head. Alot of course has to do with what coach MM does with the guys he has. If he makes bonehead calls, all the talent in the world can't win. So it all has to work together.
Like if Harrell becomes a big force on the D this year, and does his job and MM screws up the games with bad calls, that will fall on MM. Then of course TT has to make the call to get rid of him.
Guess time will tell.

jhensiak

Cheesehead
Reaction score
more improvement, recordwise, and player\coachwise.

-I expect more points(unless key players get hurt)
-I expect more takeaways and less points given up by the defense
-I expect a better record than 8-8(which kind of goes hand-in-hand to a playoff appearance, in the NFC)

I agree, I would just add they need to be more physical, and I think that will happen now that the young players have a little experience and can do more reacting, than "thinking"

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

-I expect a better record than 8-8(which kind of goes hand-in-hand to a playoff appearance, in the NFC)

I agree, I would just add they need to be more physical, and I think that will happen now that the young players have a little experience and can do more reacting, than "thinking"

This is my thinking as well. One caveat would be an improvement on 8-8. If the others happen, it should come. However many factors play into the final record and they could stay at 8-8 or even 7-9 and we could easily argue that they showed significant improvement. Key injuries, vastly improved opponents that look weak on paper today, fluke plays/calls, etc. all play a factor in final W-L record.

That said, I think this will be TT's last free pass year and they definately need to show a better record and make the playoffs in 2008.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
jhensiak said:
tromadz said:

This is my thinking as well. One caveat would be an improvement on 8-8. If the others happen, it should come. However many factors play into the final record and they could stay at 8-8 or even 7-9 and we could easily argue that they showed significant improvement. Key injuries, vastly improved opponents that look weak on paper today, fluke plays/calls, etc. all play a factor in final W-L record.

That said, I think this will be TT's last free pass year and they definately need to show a better record and make the playoffs in 2008.
And that really COULD be tough if Favre retires at the end of this year. That changes everything in my view.
It's a different team without old #4 under center.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And that really COULD be tough if Favre retires at the end of this year. That changes everything in my view. It's a different team without old #4 under center.

That's a good point cheesey, and one that will have a somewhat dramatic affect on the team's future IMO.

Favre's retirement will pose a number of questions on how the team reacts.

Will it force them to make changes in the offensive scheme, and if so, will any changes also require roster changes?

Will Rodgers (no pun intended) be handed the starting position, and if so, can he be successful, will the team respect his leadership, can he handle the pressure of following a football legend?

And if it takes the Packers a couple more years to be successful after Brett retires while everything shakes out, will it buy TT more time or will it be an indictment of the decisions he's made so far?

Personally, I think TT should have traded Brett or forced him to retire during the retirement tug-of-war last year. Not that I want to see him go before his time and I don't appreciate everything he's done for the franchise, but as GM TT needed to stake his claim on this organization and have everyone developing at the same rate. Unfortunately for TT, it's entirely possible that the Packers won't see the fruits of his labor (if there are any) until after he's gone.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately for TT, it's entirely possible that the Packers won't see the fruits of his labor (if there are any) until after he's gone.

Great point Lare. Just like Seattle.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I, too, would have preferred that TT re-built with Rodgers sooner. But MM/TT must be confident that Rodgers can yet handle it or they would have picked Quinn when they had the chance. In any event, I sincerely doubt that Favre is back next year UNLESS he has a big turnabout in 07. He'll get his records this year and in 08 we'll have a new team on the field. As far as "improvement" goes, while it may not show up in the W-L column, as long as we're really competitive and exciting this year, MM and TT are secure. I would hope it adds up to 9-7 at least.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts