What makes a successful year for Ted?

Reaction score
What will mark a successful year for the Packers?

- Playoffs?
- Contending for a playoff spot late into the season (last couple of weeks)?
- Winning football record (IE 9-7)?
- .500 (IE 8-8)?

In other words, what standards will you be judging the 2007 Packers that Ted has built?

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A winning record, with the Bears, last years NFC Superbowl team in the division it's not fair to say a season without playoffs is a failure.

You think Buffalo considers their season a failure if they have a winning record but doesn't make the playoffs? They have the Pats in their division.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
playoff berth even if we are one an done and the record is atleast 9-7

if its 8-8 an playoff... i dont consider that much of a improvement because last year we were .500 an were in the hunt for a spot in the last game of the season... its jus that the pesky giants won an ... yeah

9 - 7 record with playoff berth

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
more improvement, recordwise, and player\coachwise.

-I expect more points(unless key players get hurt)
-I expect more takeaways and less points given up by the defense
-I expect a better record than 8-8(which kind of goes hand-in-hand to a playoff appearance, in the NFC)

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
more improvement, recordwise, and player\coachwise.

-I expect more points(unless key players get hurt)
-I expect more takeaways and less points given up by the defense
-I expect a better record than 8-8(which kind of goes hand-in-hand to a playoff appearance, in the NFC)
Yup Trom.....this is the way i feel.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Playoffs, period. Whether that takes 10-6 or 8-8, playoffs is the goal. I'm not going to factor in the record, because some years, the division is up or down, or the gap between the top and bottom teams is small or huge, so 8-8 one year could be as good as 10-6 another. We finished 1 spot out of the playoffs last year, and we didn't break up the team, so anything less than a playoff appearance is a failure.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't matter what we finish, I will support Thompson no matter what.

Are you kidding?

I like people who win. I don't like people who don't. If TT & MM win, I'll like them. If they drive the Packers into the ground, we should drive them out of town.

the way I see it, it's too early to tell. Give them two more years. If we're mediocre and the end of '08, can 'em both. I'm hoping they end Favre's career with at least one Playoff win. We'll see.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was joking. Just didn't seem like the offseason with everyone agreeing on a issue.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was joking. Just didn't seem like the offseason with everyone agreeing on a issue.
I don't agree with this at ALL!!!!!!!!!
(There.....is that better?) :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

rundemc

Cheesehead
Reaction score
how ticked will everybody be if the pick Clevland traded ends up being #1 overall since Clevland offered it to GB?

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, and what if the #1 prospect next year ends up being a complete and utter bust? It's too hard to play "what if". There are so many scenarios that can happen with the draft and trades, and we as fans only know a little bit of what's really going on anyway.

I'm happy they stuck with the unanimous thumbs up from the coaching staff and went with Harrell. They stuck to their guns. Now let's see how good our staff is at judging players.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MassPackersFan posted "Yeah, and what if the #1 prospect next year ends up being a complete and utter bust? It's too hard to play "what if". There are so many scenarios that can happen with the draft"

True words of wisdom were posted by "Mass" Here are just a few of really bad examples of first choices taken by the Packers in history of the team.

In 1949 The Green Bay Packers drafted with their #1 draft choice -QB Stan Heath -Nevada Reno. A complete bust in his rookie year Health attempted 106 passes completed 26 for 355 yards pct- 24.5 --1 Td --14 intc.- -long 40 yards-- QB rate 4.6- He was released before the 1950 season.

In 1959 Packers drafted QB Randy Duncan of Iowa with their # 1 draft choice, He didn't even make the team..

In 1973 The Packers drafted WR Barry Smith from Florida State with their #1 pick. Smith in his 2nd year with the Packer, caught 6 passes for 77 yards and was released after two unproductive years with the Packers.
WR Lynn Swann was still was available on the 1973 draft board and was then taken by Pittsburgh Steelers. Swann became a great WR for the great Pittsburgh teams of the 70's.

T Tony Mandarich was drafted in first round of 1989 draft by then Packer's GM Tom Bratz. He turned out to be a big Bust. The Packers took Mandarich with the 2nd pick of the draft, instead of very great Rb Barry Sanders who was then taken by the Detroit Lions. Packer fans were very, very angry with Bratz when he made that draft pick!!!!

Remember the Packer's 1st round draft pick in 2001 De Jamal Reynolds,

I could have mentioned GB 1st round draft pick QB Rich Campbell in the QB rich 1981 draft. or '87 draft 1st round pick Rb Brent Fullwood.

A team can't always count on, a first round draft choice being even average, or good player. There are risks.

When you consider the above 1st round draft pick of former Packer GMs. ,I think Ted Thompson naysayers, who have been so critical of Ted Thompson's 2005 , 2006 & 2007 draft choices. should wait for another year or two. Then you can more accurately decide if Ted did a good job in each of those drafts. Then you can really see the results of those drafts.

Of coarse, all NFL teams over the years have made bad draft choices , The Green Bay Packers are certanly not the only NFL team that has done so.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MassPackersFan posted "Yeah, and what if the #1 prospect next year ends up being a complete and utter bust? It's too hard to play "what if". There are so many scenarios that can happen with the draft"

Of coarse, all NFL teams over the years have made bad draft choices , The Green Bay Packers are certanly not the only NFL team that has done so.

BTW, the last top 5 pick was Hawk, who only ended up leading the team in tackles as a rookie.

First round busts are plentiful every year, but that is because they are the most well known. Very few people talk about 2nd or 3rd round busts because the expectations on those players are much lower. How many starters and pro-bowlers have come out of the 1st round?? Doesn't having a high pick mean a better chance of getting a great player? How about the fact that TT could trade down and gain a ton of good picks?

I agree that the draft is a crap shoot, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't throw the dice.

GO PACK GO!!!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
how ticked will everybody be if the pick Clevland traded ends up being #1 overall since Clevland offered it to GB?
I won't be ticked at all. Just check not only the Packers past #1's, but the whole NFL's #1 picks. There have been MORE then enough busts on there.
Being touted as great before you even play a down in the NFL to me is crazy. Yes, a player might have "potential", but how many of them just end up on the scrap heap with all the other "can't miss" picks?
If the Packers do well this year, i won't care at all about HOW Cleveland does.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rundemc said:
I won't be ticked at all. Just check not only the Packers past #1's, but the whole NFL's #1 picks. There have been MORE then enough busts on there.
Being touted as great before you even play a down in the NFL to me is crazy. Yes, a player might have "potential", but how many of them just end up on the scrap heap with all the other "can't miss" picks?
If the Packers do well this year, i won't care at all about HOW Cleveland does.

All the more reasons to better your odds and gain more high picks when you can. Heck, the pick could be used to trade for a proven talent. Who's to say that Harrell won't be a bust and we wouldn't gotten more with the high 2nd round pick?

I agree that we shouldn't follow Cleveland. What's done is done and now it is time to move forward. I hope that Harrell becomes a dominant force on our defense. The fact that he's worth a high 2nd round pick this year and a high 1st round pick next year is really a saying a lot.

Time to move on though. TT has been doing a good job building a deep, young, talented defense. Let's hope it pays dividends this season.

GO PACK GO!!!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sufficiently enraging pyledriver so that his outbursts would make his continued presence on packerforum.com impossible?

Oooops...that's a successful year for forum members.

Sorry!

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL is set up to allow for teams to improve themselves in a fairly short time. Losing teams get better draft position, easier schedules, less demands on their salary cap, etc. But all of that means nothing if someone isn't making good personnel and player evaluations & decisions.

As to what's an acceptable & reasonable timeframe for that to happen, that's totally in the eye of the beholder. I'm guessing some people would give TT 10-years of losing and still be pleased with his performance. Others probably aren't quite as forgiving.

In my opinion, GMs shouldn't need 2,3,4 or more years to show signs of improvement if they are truly good talent evaluators and good at doing their jobs, as long as they're not hampered in their actions by a meddling owner or lack of available salary cap space.

As Ron Wolf showed us, when you have a good GM in a good situation, improvement is noticeable right away and significant success should be experienced in the 3rd-4th year. Only in hindsight will we see if history looks back on TT and deems him a good GM.