1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

What major colleges use zone blocking

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by DePack, Sep 22, 2006.

1. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Does anybody know which teams in college use the zone blocking scheme. This scheme seems to be a little difficult to pick up. If we stick with this, will there be many "zone blocking ready" offensive linemen to choose from?

2. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I believe Wisconsin used it or use to use it.

Nebraska use to as well but probably don't know more.

Minnesota I know for a fact uses it.

I'm sure there are a few more and I'm sure they'll come to me a few minutes after I post this.

Edit: Michigan just started using it a few years back I believe. In fact I remember people making a big deal over Mike Hart and how he's thrived in the system.

3. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    St Norbert.

4. rabidgopher04

rabidgopher04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, Minnesota does. I was hoping we would have drafted Greg Eslinger or Mark Setterstrom because they are "zone ready" so to speak.

There's no guarantee that because a school uses the zone blocking system that we would draft those players.

5. Bruce

Bruce Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Zone Blocking in some forms exist in every major conference in the country.

Minnesota, Michigan (they went there almost exclusively this year) and Wisconsin all run it.

USC and Washington run it as do most of the teams in the Pack 10.

The University of Miami runs it.

And yes indeed Zero (I'm impressed), St Norbert college uses it -- their coaching staff actually runs camps teaching it. I could list on and on but these are a few of the major programs (and one minor) that run zone schemes as least a good chunk of the time.

Zone blocking is not new, but it is growing in popularity. ZB first started to take place back when teams ran an old slant and angle defense -- which created problems for teams using man blocking schemes. Because defenders attempt to angle in or slant in on the blocks of the offensive linemen, zone blocking has become standard for an offensive lineman.

Zone blocking was created to handle moving defensive linemen. It is a simple concept, but it takes a lot of practice because it involves offensive linemen working in unison and decisions have to be made while the play is taking place. In zone blocking, you don't have a lot of different assignments, but you have a lot of techniques. It takes many repetitions to get the feel of working together as a unit. The diversity of zone blocking comes by the back running different angles and by the offense using different formations to confuse the defense.

Zone blocking has gained in popularity because:

~~ it outnumbers the defense at the point of attack,
    ~~ it does not require physically superior athletes,
    ~~ it can easily be adapted to just about any offense, and most importantly,
    ~~ it creates a way of handling slanting and stunting defenders and zone run blitzing (when executed well).

6. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    After a while, one thing becomes apparent:

Z knows his shiznit! :)

7. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    Wish I could take claim for this nice comment, but I cheat. I live less than a mile away from the college and drive past the field twice a day.