What made you a Packers fan?

Packers_89

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They discussed this about 4 or 5 months ago. Like Cleveland, Minnesota would (supposedly) retain the name Vikings and the logo. I couldn't lend support to the team if Wilf sells out to interested parties in LA or Toronto. It just wouldn't be the same. Think about it this way, if somehow the Packers moved to Salt Lake City, would you still support them? It just isn't the same. I've lived in LA... it is a hole. Been to Toronto and where as the city is pretty cool, it is Argonaut territory. lol

I've always had a grudging respect for the Packers and their history. They are a top-notch organization.

~Val

I would still be a packers fan if they played on the moon. I am not from Wisconsin so it is different. It would be like the raptors in the NBA moving away from Toronto to like San Jose. I would stop watching them easily. So I kind of get your point. I do really hope Toronto gets a team but I don't see it happening for a while (their stadium is too small).

Also the argos would get destroyed by the NFL.

Valhalla Express

SKOL VIKINGS!
Reaction score
You're sounding like Darth Vader now SDCheese... "Give yourself in to the Dark Side!" - Nah, not a closet fan at all. I love my Minnesota Vikings and my Purple. I respect other teams though... Packers, Steelers, and Patriots as they have top-notch front offices and excellent coaching. Bengals, Dolphins and Redskins are a complete joke, regardless of their record.

The Vikings could use a complete overhaul in the front office and a new stadium *hint hint nudge nudge* too. If they were to move anywhere else, what's the use of supporting them. How many people of Scandinavian heritage will you find in LA or Toronto? lol

I digress. I have had 5 hours of sleep since Saturday and my mind is the consistency of wet noodles. Forgive me my lack of train of thought.

~Val

Val, you sound like a closet Packer fan. :D

Nothing wrong with that, you've seen the light now embrace your destiny: You are a Packers fan. (The best sports franchise in the world.) :tup:

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
They discussed this about 4 or 5 months ago. Like Cleveland, Minnesota would (supposedly) retain the name Vikings and the logo. I couldn't lend support to the team if Wilf sells out to interested parties in LA or Toronto. It just wouldn't be the same. Think about it this way, if somehow the Packers moved to Salt Lake City, would you still support them? It just isn't the same. I've lived in LA... it is a hole. Been to Toronto and where as the city is pretty cool, it is Argonaut territory. lol

I've always had a grudging respect for the Packers and their history. They are a top-notch organization.

~Val
Well, that's what the Politicians discussed. Difference is, when the Browns left Cleveland the NFL was still working on expansion to 32 teams. Currently there are no plans for expansions. The Politicians can clamor all they want, but there is no reason for the NFL to keep the Vikings name in MN.
I never thought I would say this. But what friends and family have never been able to do, (convert me to a Packer fan) some idiots in office might end up doing it for them. I will not follow them if they leave, I will not follow any new team in MN if one comes about, named Vikings or not. It is not, nor will it ever be the same team.

Valhalla Express

SKOL VIKINGS!
Reaction score
Amen brother...

Well, that's what the Politicians discussed. Difference is, when the Browns left Cleveland the NFL was still working on expansion to 32 teams. Currently there are no plans for expansions. The Politicians can clamor all they want, but there is no reason for the NFL to keep the Vikings name in MN.
I never thought I would say this. But what friends and family have never been able to do, (convert me to a Packer fan) some idiots in office might end up doing it for them. I will not follow them if they leave, I will not follow any new team in MN if one comes about, named Vikings or not. It is not, nor will it ever be the same team.

c33j44y

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Definitely been a Packer fan since before I can remember. I'm not even from Wisconsin, but I believe it was the name of the team and the colors that attracted me most ... Little did I know the likes of Brett Favre, Reggie White, and Desmond Howard (can anyone remember the explosiveness on special teams?). The nineties were definitely a golden age for anyone who was a Packers fan, and I can relive those days with the utmost happiness. I can recall my parents taping the '97 Super Bowl between the Packers and the Patriots on VHS ... constantly watched and re-watched that again and again. Last year when they beat the Steelers, I felt like a little kid again. Now where we are at, I couldn't be happier with the direction this team has taken. Now ... all jynxing aside, if you want to talk undefeated season this year? That would put everything WAYYYY over the top.

However, as far goes a few posts above, it would strike me as strange if the Packers decided to relocate. It would take some getting used to, and without a doubt would tarnish the small-town reputation I hold so dearly with the Pack.

jwmann2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All teams have bandwagon fans. It inevitable. Notice how the Steelers, Cowboys and Packers have more fans than any other team? How many times have you met a Seahawks, Brown or Rams fan in your life?

Valhalla Express

SKOL VIKINGS!
Reaction score
I've never even heard of the Seahawks, Browns or Rams. Why are you even mentioning XFL teams? *faceplant*

~Val

All teams have bandwagon fans. It inevitable. Notice how the Steelers, Cowboys and Packers have more fans than any other team? How many times have you met a Seahawks, Brown or Rams fan in your life?

Angei

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I grew up in a "mixed household". My mom was a diehard cheesehead, and my dad was an obnoxious Vikings fan, and I just gravitated to the Pack. As I got older and watched football more, I kept asking myself, even though I was born in MN, why can't I cheer for a team that isn't from MN? After my parents' divorce, I spent a lot of time with my mom and stepdad who were both Packers fans, and I learned a lot more about the game, and realized what a great history and franchise the Packers have, and it was also during the Reggie White era. Class act. How can you go wrong rooting for the Green and Yellow? I've loved Donald Driver since then, and he's still a class act, and I love that the team is owned by the city instead of one person. Even though I lost my mom last December, she is still with me, and I think there's a reason that the game after she passed, the Packers Season turned around last year. She, Mr. Lombardi and Reggie White were cheering along, and there had to be some divine intervention going on!

I'm going to my FIRST Packers game at Lambeau on Monday against the Vikes. I am looking forward to going to watch the BEST Team in the NFC North at the BEST stadium. What more can a girl ask for? Go Pack, Go!

D

Dan115

You made the correct choice.
I grew up in a "mixed household". My mom was a diehard cheesehead, and my dad was an obnoxious Vikings fan, and I just gravitated to the Pack. As I got older and watched football more, I kept asking myself, even though I was born in MN, why would I WANT to cheer for a team that chokes all the time? Wouldn't watching football be more fun if your team wins once in awhile? After my parents' divorce, I spent a lot of time with my mom and stepdad who were both Packers fans, and I learned a lot more about the game, and realized what a great history and franchise the Packers have, and it was also during the time Reggie White era. Class act. How can you go wrong rooting for the Green and Yellow? I've loved Donald Driver since then, and he's still a class act, and I love that the team is owned by the city instead of one person.

You made the correct choice.

Angei

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks, Dan. I think so too. My boyfriend says he's "Cursed" because he's never dated a girl that's a Vikings fan. I say he's lucky to find so many smart women. :)

burt packerack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
when i was 7 i saw favre throw a long *** TD on TV, and i liked theyre colors and the fact that they have a G on theyre helmet, because my name starts with a G.

tenplay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers drafting Aaron Rodgers and Desmond Bishop. Been following them since their outstanding play at Cal. Otherwise I root mostly for the Seahawks, who have ex-Cal stars Marshawn Lynch, Justin Forsett and Brandon Mebane.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Living 15 years in Wisconsin after enrolling at the UW-Madison. Being a Packer fan is just sort of absorbed by osmosis the longer you live there. Hearing Jim Irwin and Max MaGee call the Packer games just sorta did it for me. After that I was hooked.

Pat4DaPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers in my blood since 1966. Well that was when my dad was born, carrying the tradition to me living in Chicago! Now carrying the legacy to Lincoln, Nebraska.

packers_BG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My year was 2005, I am from Bulgaria and was on a "Work and travel" at Madeline Island, WI. Honestly, it was very strange for me what interesting do you find in that sport. Because, not knowing the rules, it looked like just a huge guys, hurting themselfs.. :D But day by day I was getting more and more of your football.. It was still Favre's ERA and it was great to see how every single person on this island is so pasioned about their team. I got back in Bulgaria at the end of September and started to have an eye sometimes in the packers website.. And something started burning inside me, it was allready downloading games and getting up at 3 AM to watch the games! And now, 6 years later, I trully can't imagine my day without the green and yellow! My friends are joking with me about my passion, but it's something very special for me! I am a sport journalust in the Bulgarian national television, I covered 2 Olympic games (Baijing and Vancouver), I've been to many places all over the world.. but my dream is to go one day to a certain place, and I will do it, I promise! Lambeau, I AM COMING!! just don't know when, though.. haha :D

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched all the Lombardi Packer games on TV, my first memories in 1961. We had an old black and white set with rabbit ears.In Antigo where I grew up we could get the Green Bay TV stations too, and though grainy, I could watch Vince Lombardi talk about the most recent game with "Big Al" Sampson. The program had a feature where Lombardi would describe a play on a football set on a table that looked like an old electric football game. When I was growing up I simply thought the Packers were going to win the title every year. Like many things, things changed in the 70's....
One footnote: the Ice Bowl was blacked out in the Green Bay market and we listened on the radio.

JokerFace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just found this forum today. Glad I found it.

Live and grew up in the Chicago area. As a kid, I hated football because I wanted to watch cartoons on Sunday afternoons, and my dad would always have the Bears games on. So I held that against the Bears. Plus, I was a baseball fan and thought as a kid, it was silly how in football, you only played once a week, while baseball went each day.

I remember watching SuperBowl 31 at a friend's house. Went over there not really caring about the game... just went because everyone else was going. Because I had vacationed in Wisconsin as a kid, I figured I'd root for the Wisconsin team. The Packers were on TV a lot the following year since they were defending champs, so I got to watching them. Brett Favre was fun to watch. The Packers just seemed cool, while everyone else around me hated them. To me, the Bears just always came off as being a silly team.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was a fan before Super Bowl XXXI, but not much before because I was only about 8 or 9 (I think.) when I started really watching football and picking a team. My dad is a Rams fan (he is from L.A.) and I just never really clicked with that. My step brother is a Cowboys fan and when I was a kid (about 9?) he was 5 years older than me, the Cowboys beat the Packers in the playoffs and started gloating. I reared back as far as I could and just slugged him right in the chest as hard as I could. That is my earliest memory of being a die hard cheesehead.

I live in northern California, Chico to be specific. It is 49er and Raider country...it sucks. Chico is Aaron Rodgers' home town. I was a fan LONG before Aaron Rodgers' was even in high school, and there were not very many Packers fans around then. Now, there are suddenly TONS of Packer fans around. I am starting to HATE it. I mean, just 8-10 years ago I was the ''evil'' one because I am a Packers fan and we always beat the 49ers. That game where the Packers lost after Young tossed a TD pass to the now infamous Terrell Owens, good lord I never heard the end of it! Never mind that the play should have never happened because Jerry Rice totally dropped a pass a few plays before that. The fans around here didn't want to hear it though! Bastards..

Anyways, I am now, always have been and always will be a Green Bay Packers fan! Never shall I wander! Green and Gold till I DIE!

Shag

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Coming from the UK, I spent a few days in NYC in September 2008. A friend had recommended I go to a sports bar to watch the NFL games with all the madness that such a melting pot would produce.

Well, I did and although there were 7/8 games going on at once I just started to gravitate to watching the Packers game and after a while I was itching for them to win!

I've been hooked on NFL since and whilst I got to the Pack just before the brilliant last couple of seasons it has been absolutely amazing being part of Cheesehead Nation. I have no connection with WI or anything to do with GB but boy are they my team now.

Go Pack!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts